What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Guest The Ger

I'm watching School of Rock, it's good surprisingly. Zoolander is on later tonight I think, watch it if you can be arsed, if you haven't seen it I think it's funny.

I'm watching School of Rock, it's good surprisingly. Zoolander is on later tonight I think, watch it if you can be arsed, if you haven't seen it I think it's funny.

Zoolander is second only to Anchorman for hilarity!

Brint: Or the way Hansel combs his hair?

Meekus: Or like, doesn't, it's like, ex-squeeze me, but have you ever heard of styling gel?

Brint: I'm sure Hansel's heard of styling gel, he's a male model.

Meekus: Uh, earth to Brint, I was making a joke.

Brint: Uh, Earth to Meekus, duh, okay I knew that!

Meekus: Uh earth to Brint, I'm not so sure you did cuz you were all 'well I'm sure he's heard of styling gel' like you DIDN'T know it was a joke!

Brint: I knew it was a joke Meekus, I just didn't get it right away!

Meekus: Earth to Brint...

Derek Zoolander: GUYS! Can we stop with the Earth tos!

I went to see Pan's Labyrinth on Saturday, it's a fantastic film. It is about a little girl who has to go to live with a Fascist army captain (her step-father) in the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War. They go from their life in teh city to a creaky old house in the countryside, where amid the battle between hardened Republican guerrillas and El Capitan's Fascist troops the girl enters a magical world of fairies, fauns and magic. She is told she is the reincarnation of a magical princess and must complete three tasks to prove her worth.

The storys of the battle between the Fascists and the Republicans and the girls quests are intertwined and told alongside each other - the contrast between the magical fantasy characters of the girls world and the brutal realities of the Franco dictatorship is brought out but the stories have parallells as well. The girl's struggles in her quests can be seen as metaphors for the Republicans struggles in the 'war'.

All in all, I thought it was a fantastic film, great performances from each area of the cast. Normally child actors are about as appealing to me as smallpox, but the girl is magnificent, never prissy or sentimental. The Fascist captain is magnificent - the whole construction of the character embodied facism, from his costume, to his lines to his performance. Superb.

Went to see this tonight and it really is very, very good. Enjoyed it far more than I expected because, even though I knew that a lot of the film was set after the Spanish Civil War amongst the Fascist troops, I was a bit wary about the fantasy element as goblins and fairies really aint my bag. However it does work really well and looks fantastic. There are though some truly shocking scenes of violence committed by the Fascists against Republican prisoners which really aren't for the faint hearted.

As you say the wee girl is really excellent and is far from being cutesy or sentimental.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

10/10

Classic. Utter classic

then

Arlington Rd.

6/10

I had seen it before, but it was on Film4 last night. Worse than I remember it. Jeff bridges over-wraught acting grates and it's pretty obvious, dull fare. Maybe because i had seen it before, right enough, but it just didn't have the same impact.

decent enough, but not brilliant.

Guest Hampden Ton

Cars 7/10

My flatmate rented this out, so I watched it last night. Was good but nowhere near as good as the hype made out. Yes, it looks incredible, but the story has been done before (granted, not with cars!) and it wasn't as funny as I'd hoped (although, the end credits scene at the movie drive-in had me laughing out loud). Nice cameos from Jeremy Clarkson and Paul Newman was perfectly cast too.

So, overall its worth a watch, but Toy Story 2 and The Incredibles are much better.

The Brothers Grimm - 6/10

Story is all over the place, still not the worst film in the world.

It is a pretty ludicrous film though in't it? I sat through wondering how many different stories they could put in one film and still miss out the best Grimm story :angry:

How cauld they miss out Rumpelstiltskin?

I went to see Pan's Labyrinth on Saturday, it's a fantastic film. It is about a little girl who has to go to live with a Fascist army captain (her step-father) in the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War. They go from their life in teh city to a creaky old house in the countryside, where amid the battle between hardened Republican guerrillas and El Capitan's Fascist troops the girl enters a magical world of fairies, fauns and magic. She is told she is the reincarnation of a magical princess and must complete three tasks to prove her worth.

The storys of the battle between the Fascists and the Republicans and the girls quests are intertwined and told alongside each other - the contrast between the magical fantasy characters of the girls world and the brutal realities of the Franco dictatorship is brought out but the stories have parallells as well. The girl's struggles in her quests can be seen as metaphors for the Republicans struggles in the 'war'.

All in all, I thought it was a fantastic film, great performances from each area of the cast. Normally child actors are about as appealing to me as smallpox, but the girl is magnificent, never prissy or sentimental. The Fascist captain is magnificent - the whole construction of the character embodied facism, from his costume, to his lines to his performance. Superb.

Finally got to see this tonight - to save a big spiel I agree with everything Chris said. Definitely a 10/10 for me :D