What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Reading up a few posts...

Shawshank Redemption - it's one of those films that you either totally love and consider the best thing since a blow job in the morning or are utterly unmoved by it. I fall into the latter category. While Freeman and Robbins play excellent parts the director, who's name escapes (ha!) me at the mo, fails to create a character than I can relate to and because of that, I just couldn't care less if anyone leaves that prison. 7 maybe 8/10 but nowhere near the 10/10 that some give it.

Aristocrats - dreadful. Not only is the joke not funny the majority of the people telling it were American who (in general mainstream comedy) seem to lack any real dark humour relating to the build up. Some people deliver the joke as if they were telling a story and lacking in emphasis. As for the subject matter, I know it's intended to try and shock but with the advent of the Internet the acts that some comedians were trying to convey are as meek and timid as a Sunday night in with the WRVI. The only laugh the whole film gave me was the woman who told it as a clean joke but then changed the name of the act to something utterly filthy. 2/10

Shawshank Redemption - it's one of those films that you either totally love and consider the best thing since a blow job in the morning or are utterly unmoved by it. I fall into the latter category. While Freeman and Robbins play excellent parts the director, who's name escapes (ha!) me at the mo, fails to create a character than I can relate to and because of that, I just couldn't care less if anyone leaves that prison. 7 maybe 8/10 but nowhere near the 10/10 that some give it.

Tend to agree - I did enjoy it, but there is just something about it that is offputting (and I'm happy to admit it could be a reaction to the widespread slevering over it). I dunno, it just feels a bit too deliberately epic and forced in it's delivery.

I'm no Roger Ebert or Mark Kermode but the general consesus amongst the movie smart arses is that it it Red (MF's character) that achieves redemption, from his terrible crime, in his part in a free man's escape from a brutal prison regime.

Instead of going to see Letters From Iwo Jima in Roppongi, I went to see Little Miss Sunshine in Ikebukuro instead. And it might be the funniest and saddest thing I have ever seen. A bit like Life Is Beautiful in that respect. 115675/10

Guest InwardSinging

Aristocrats - dreadful. Not only is the joke not funny the majority of the people telling it were American who (in general mainstream comedy) seem to lack any real dark humour relating to the build up. Some people deliver the joke as if they were telling a story and lacking in emphasis. As for the subject matter, I know it's intended to try and shock but with the advent of the Internet the acts that some comedians were trying to convey are as meek and timid as a Sunday night in with the WRVI. The only laugh the whole film gave me was the woman who told it as a clean joke but then changed the name of the act to something utterly filthy. 2/10

The Aristocrats is a dire, dire movie.

When i saw the Shawshank Redemption, i watched it at the movies, i had not heard or read anything about it, my partner having had read the short story, and we went to see it on that premise, i thought it was fantastic, going into a movie blind and seeing a brilliant story is always great.

I watched a couple of good movies this weekend, Scoop, a Woody Allen film about a journalism student, who recieves a tip off who a serial killer in london killing prostitutes is (and no, it wasnt steven wright). I usually hate Woody Allen films, but this was quite interesting, Scarlett Johannson was lovely in it, 7/10.

My Super Ex Girlfriend was a hoot, Uma Thurman is an obsessive super hero, its not going to win any oscars, but it was good light relief 7/10

World Trade Centre - I struggled with this one, i ended up watching only half, the special effects are brilliant, and it really puts you right in the middle of september 11th pretty well, ill watch the rest today, as its Oliver Stone, im sure it wont have the typical ending of this type of movie.

The Last Kiss I thoroughly enjoyed, the chap out of Scrubs, who was great in the Garden State, plays a guy who is about to have a baby, and meets up with the O.C.s Summer, it was a great little movie, 8/10.

The Break Up, Jennifer Anniston and Vince Vaughn, it was a decent little movie about two people breaking up, if you have ever broke up with anyone, you can probably relate to it a little more, i enjoyed it, although the laughs were not coming thick and fast - 7/10

My Super Ex Girlfriend was a hoot, Uma Thurman is an obsessive super hero, its not going to win any oscars, but it was good light relief 7/10

I would be happy for Uma to offer me relief, light or otherwise.. :rolleyes:

Watched Wayne's World last night, and Life of Brian tonight.

Two excellent, hilarious films.

Life of Brian is the better film, but the Bohemian Rhapsody scene in WW is one of my favourites from any movie. "If you're gonna spew... spew into this."

Wayne's World - 9/10

Life of Brian - 10/10.

Got a Monty Python boxset at christmas, LoB is the only one I've watched so far.

I'd give it 9 personally, very funny, but had numerous dry patches.

Still some great lines.

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"

"I'm Brian and so is my wife"

"Alright! I am the messiah!" "HE IS! HE IS THE MESSIAH" "NOW FÃœCK OFF!"

13 (Tzameti)

Odd film, I picked it up in Fopp for £8 in the World Cinema section. (on a side note here, Fopp is pretty good with their World Cinema stuff as while it isn't a large selection, it tends to have some real gems hidden in there).

From IMDB:

Sebastian, a young man, has decided to follow instructions intended for someone else, without knowing where they will take him. Something else he does not know is that Gerard Dorez, a cop on a knife-edge, is tailing him. When he reaches his destination, Sebastian falls into a degenerate, clandestine world of mental chaos behind closed doors in which men gamble on the lives of others men.

It's all shot in B&W and is in French (with subtitles) and has a nice grainy feel about it. I don't want to give away too much about it, but I certainly enjoyed the film.

8/10 - well worth the watch.