What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Underwater 

3/10

What looked like a great concept (some scientists and mechanical engineers are in a lab in the Mariana Trench when shit goes wrong) is ruined by

crappy monsters and a shite Cthulu

TJ Miller is well placed to play the wise cracking, doesn't take things too seriously role, but it's seriously out of place here.

Berverly Hills Ninja

8/10

Puerile nonsense and lots of physical comedy. However, it's all done so well that it's fantastic. Very funny stuff. Chris Farley really had a trilogy of films (this, Black Sheep and Tommy Boy; his other starring role is pish) and was the master of this type of stuff. His reactions to things are just tremendous.

The Skeleton Twins

6.5/10

A brother and sister sort of bond over mental health issues.

Felt it could have been more whilst at the same time being quite touching and poignant in places, just not enough places.

33 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Blue Collar

Richard Pryor and Harvey Keitel star in this gritty 70s thriller about corrupt union officials in a Detroit car factory. Now this is my kind of film. It's bleak but has a few moments of humour. I'd say this is one for movie buffs only. 

8/10

Try to catch Straight Time (1978).

Dustin Hoffman acts against type by playing a habitual convict who is out on parole and wants to go straight.

He gets a place to live, a job and a woman in his life (Theresa Russell) but his mate (Gary Busey) and parole officer (M Emmet Walsh) are  both dicks and Hoffman's plans are derailed.

There are scenes which influenced Reservoir Dogs and Heat. My only criticism is the soundtrack which, at times, is inappropriate for this type of movie.

Also starring Harry Dean Stanton and Kathy Bates it's one of the best 70s movies you've never heard of.

3 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Try to catch Straight Time (1978).

Dustin Hoffman acts against type by playing a habitual convict who is out on parole and wants to go straight.

He gets a place to live, a job and a woman in his life (Theresa Russell) but his mate (Gary Busey) and parole officer (M Emmet Walsh) are  both dicks and Hoffman's plans are derailed.

There are scenes which influenced Reservoir Dogs and Heat. My only criticism is the soundtrack which, at times, is inappropriate for this type of movie.

Also starring Harry Dean Stanton and Kathy Bates it's one of the best 70s movies you've never heard of.

I've seen it and I love it. It's based on the book No Beast So Fierce by Ed Bunker AKA Mr Blue from Reservoir Dogs. A cracking read.

Talking of 70s movies, I watched The Conversation (1974) the other night.

Coppola said it was his favourite of all the movies he directed (which, considering his oeuvre is some statement) and supposedly Gene Hackman said it's one of his favourite acting performances.

Hackman plays a surveillance expert and is hired to follow and get information  on a couple. It also stars Coppola favourites Robert Duvall, Harrison Ford, John Cazale and Frederic Forrest.

Spoiler

Brian De Palma criticised FFC over the twist ending because the line that Frederic Forrest utters at the end of the movie is different to the line that GH manages to surveille earlier.

The Taking of Pelham 123

More gritty 70s crime shenanigans as a gang of heavily armed wrong 'uns hijack a subway train. 

Now, one thing I love about films like this is that the good guys and the baddies are all beer bellied middle aged men with combovers wearing old  dirty old Macs. There's no gym bods, tattoos or shaved nappers here. 

9/10

Good Will Hunting 

10/10

One of my all time favourite films. Possibly even my second favourite 

Just incredible. Robin Williams was a brilliant comedy actor but his dramatic stuff was even better, with this role being his best. Knowing what we do now, it might be that he was playing method. An exceptional performance from him. I would have loved to have seen a movie filmed from his character's perspective, starting with his wife's illness.

What is possibly my favourite film scene of any movie is in this film. It's when Sean absolutely dismantles Will on the park bench. He doesn't do it in a malicious manner. He doesn't do it in a spiteful manner. He isn't doing it to get back at Will. He isn't trying to be a dick. 

He does it matter of fact, and it's to help Will. It's one of the very few scenes ever that has made say 'wow'. It's breathtaking. 

There are other exceptional scenes. The whole film is stuffed with them, but the ones that stand out are;

- When Chucky tells Will that he (Will) owes him (Chucky) and his friends to 'cash in' his 'winning' lottery ticket, and that if he doesn't he (Chucky) will kill him (Will).

- It's not your fault.

Those two are above all other scenes in the film except the bench scene I mentioned above. However, there are still some great ones on a level below that. 

- When Chucky et al stop to pick up Will, but Will is gone.

- Sean telling Gerry to stick the Field Medal up his ass

- Chucky doing one of Will's interviews

- Will and Skylar in the joke shop. Just great chemistry.

- Dem apples

Edited by DA Baracus

8 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Talking of 70s movies, I watched The Conversation (1974) the other night.

Coppola said it was his favourite of all the movies he directed (which, considering his oeuvre is some statement) and supposedly Gene Hackman said it's one of his favourite acting performances.

Hackman plays a surveillance expert and is hired to follow and get information  on a couple. It also stars Coppola favourites Robert Duvall, Harrison Ford, John Cazale and Frederic Forrest.

Reveal hidden contents

Brian De Palma criticised FFC over the twist ending because the line that Frederic Forrest utters at the end of the movie is different to the line that GH manages to surveille earlier.

It's a very decent film.

Hackman's character in Enemy of the State is meant to be the same guy

12 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Blue Collar

Richard Pryor and Harvey Keitel star in this gritty 70s thriller about corrupt union officials in a Detroit car factory. Now this is my kind of film. It's bleak but has a few moments of humour. I'd say this is one for movie buffs only. 

8/10

I can't believe you've marked The Yakuza higher than Blue Collar!?

21 minutes ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

I can't believe you've marked The Yakuza higher than Blue Collar!?

I love them both, indeed they were both written by Paul Schrader,  but The Yakuza is more of a visual feast. The neon lights of Tokyo just look better than a grimy car plant. 

On a different day I may have reversed the scores.

12 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I love them both, indeed they were both written by Paul Schrader,  but The Yakuza is more of a visual feast. The neon lights of Tokyo just look better than a grimy car plant. 

On a different day I may have reversed the scores.

Yeah each to their own and that. I like all the talents involved in The Yakuza, I just found it incredibly boring in parts.

You seem on a gritty 70s crime binge - have you seen The Friends Of Eddie Coyle, also with Robert Mitchum?

Edited by Jupiter Jazz

9 minutes ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

Yeah each to their own and that. I like all the talents involved in The Yakuza, I just found it incredibly boring in parts.

You seem on a gritty 70s crime binge - have you seen The Friends Of Eddie Coyle, also with Robert Mitchum?

I've never seen that. I'll have a look out for it.

A few others i like: The Seven Ups, The French Connection, Dog Day Afternoon, Prime Cut. And that's without mentioning any Charles Bronson or Clint Eastwood films.

5 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I've never seen that. I'll have a look out for it.

A few others i like: The Seven Ups, The French Connection, Dog Day Afternoon, Prime Cut. And that's without mentioning any Charles Bronson or Clint Eastwood films.

The 70s are tremendous eh? Love a lot of Robert Altman's stuff from then especially.

4 minutes ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

The 70s are tremendous eh? Love a lot of Robert Altman's stuff from then especially.

Yeah, The Long Goodbye and Thieves Like Us are two that I have on DVD.

I really like Elliott Gould's flat in The Long Goodbye. It's in a complex called The High Tower in Hollywood.

690-Credit-David-Kubiczky.jpg

I would love to live there.

5 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

It's a very decent film.

Hackman's character in Enemy of the State is meant to be the same guy

This, I did not know, and will be watching Enemy of the State as a result.

Adding quite a few films to the list from the past few pages, actually. Richard Pryor and Harvey Keitel certainly sounds like an interesting combination.

48 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Adding quite a few films to the list from the past few pages, actually. Richard Pryor and Harvey Keitel certainly sounds like an interesting combination.

You won't be disappointed if you're a fan of grimy  70s urban thrillers. 

Blue Collar is a serious film but it is entertaining and has a few humorous scenes, particularly when Pryor is allowed rant on in his own inimitable style.