What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Temple of Doom's an edgy kids movie. Loved it when I was wee, then saw it a decade later and was shocked by how bad it was. Feel somewhere between the two extremes now; it just has so many iconic moments and the intro is terrific, but I swither about how annoying Short Round is, and Willie just needed to die, die, die.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull had numerous problems but, if they felt they needed a younger adventurer, I'd far rather they'd brought back an adult (and less annoying) Short Round than the embarrassing greaser mess they decided to have Shia LeBeouf play.

I've seen Raiders and Last Crusade much more recently than Temple of Doom, so maybe some of the individual great scenes in the latter are fogging my judgement. Last Crusade just pips Raiders as my favourite if I were forced to choose.

22 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Raiders of the Lost Ark 10/10

Temple of Doom 8/10

Last Crusade 9/10

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 2/10

IMO.

I think that's being generous to Crystal Skull.  The rest are about right, i'd say.  Raiders is sublime.

Weird things that you love in films:  The bit where Marion and Indy are running away from the german plane that's about to explode, their legs are in perfect synchrony.  I always wonder if they did takes to get that deliberately or if it was just a happy coincidence.

It's about 4:19 here if anyone wants to see what the f**k I'm rambling about.

Invictus

Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon star in this film about South Africa's victorious campaign in the 1995 Rugby world cup.

I've always avoided this film as rugby union is a deplorable activity only of interest to absolute worstcunts.

However, I did actually enjoy this, even though I have reservations over it's accuracy. I'd be astonished if a few games of rugby could unite such a divided nation.

Good performances by Freeman and Damon though.

7/10

Se7en (1995) dir. David Fincher

This also starred Morgan Freeman as well as Brad Pitt, Gwyneth Paltrow and a certain massive Epstein associate. It's cool to see the movie which arguably spawned a thousand knock offs. The crucial difference is that Fincher is a really good director and the main antagonist is a guy who's every bit as big a creep and monster irl as he is in this movie.

7/10

Saint Maud  (Rose Glass, 2019) 

Brilliant debut film from Rose Glass, announcing her arrival on the scene as a fully-fledged filmmaker of the calibre of Jennifer Kent, Ari Aster or Robert Eggers. It feels like we’re entering a golden age of horror, with so many talented directors emerging together (I’d add Brandon Cronenberg and Panos Cosmatos to the list). This beautifully restrained psychological horror film builds slowly and assuredly, and is as much a study of loneliness and despair as it is tale of faith and possession. Morfydd Clark is astonishing as Maud, and the sound design and soundtrack by Adam Bzowski is fantastically menacing. The cinematography by Ben Fordesman deserves credit too - I had no idea Scarborough could look so ominous. There are elements of Carrie, The Exorcist, Rosemary’s Baby and Repulsion here, and moments that recall Lynne Ramsay and Lars von Trier, but Glass transcends her influences to create something unique, and I can’t wait to see what she does next. 

9/10

8 hours ago, Paul Kersey said:

Invictus

Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon star in this film about South Africa's victorious campaign in the 1995 Rugby world cup.

I've always avoided this film as rugby union is a deplorable activity only of interest to absolute worstcunts.

However, I did actually enjoy this, even though I have reservations over it's accuracy. I'd be astonished if a few games of rugby could unite such a divided nation.

Good performances by Freeman and Damon though.

7/10

It would be wrong to say a few games united the nation, but it was the first time really that the majority, if not the whole country, got behind the Springboks. Even on their return from the Apartheid ban in 92, vast numbers of the non-white South Africans would be actively supporting the opposition

On 09/06/2021 at 15:51, KnightswoodBear said:

I think that's being generous to Crystal Skull.  The rest are about right, i'd say.  Raiders is sublime.

Weird things that you love in films:  The bit where Marion and Indy are running away from the german plane that's about to explode, their legs are in perfect synchrony.  I always wonder if they did takes to get that deliberately or if it was just a happy coincidence.

It's about 4:19 here if anyone wants to see what the f**k I'm rambling about.

One of the things I always loved about the Indy movies was the sound effects in the fight scenes. Every time someone lands a punch it sounds like a tree being snapped in half.

4 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

One of the things I always loved about the Indy movies was the sound effects in the fight scenes. Every time someone lands a punch it sounds like a tree being snapped in half.

Yeah, love the sound effects of the punches, it's a totally unique "indy" sound.  Someone posted a YouTube thing the other day of the sound effects folk explaining how they got the noises for certain things from the films 

Nomadland 8/10

Heard about this film and saw it at the local cinema. Didn’t know what to expect but was impressed by this film, a story about a 62 year old woman who after losing her husband and the town she had lived in called Empire which shut down after the only employer in the town closed down the mine and plant. She decides to leave in a van travelling the country going from job to job to support herself. It tells of the people she meets along the way and like her who are Nomads going from place to place either in vans or whatever means of transport they have.
Many of the people featured in the film are real people telling their own story of how they became Nomads. Found it quite emotional at times.
Would recommend anyone to see it.

I noticed some stories earlier in the week about Indy 5 filming in the UK, with a lot of talk about Nazi vehicles and such. Been wondering how Indy's going to be taking on the Wehrmacht in what must be the 1970s, considering it's forty years since Raiders. At least it sounds like we'll be saved from Indy discovering a long-lost son who's really into this new punk rocking music that the young people like.

Anyway...Sorry to Bother You (DVD) - a struggling young black man lands a job at a cold-call centre, and learns that the key to success is using his "white voice".

Darkly amusing and entertainingly surreal satire on modern society in America, both in the compromises that black people have to make to fit in to corporate culture, but also how the lower classes are having their options in life squeezed, and the likely end results. A film that manages to lay out some stark points with a light touch, a big dollop of humour, and a delicious coating of the bizarre. Also full of good performances from a variety of actors you'll likely remember from that film that you saw them in; you know the one. Very much recommended.

Watched American Hustle for the first time last night. Some fantastic performances: Christian Bale and Amy Adams are as good as you'd expect, Jeremy Renner was unexpectedly not dull and Jennifer Lawrence was absolutely brilliant.

The story was entertaining enough, but where there's conmen or undercover stuff going on (or spies but that's nor relevant) i expect some twists and subterfuge in the plot. It was all too upfront. And the script was a bit clunky. 

6/10

Nobody

Basically John Wick except the main character worked for the military (I think?) instead of a hitman. Bob Odenkirk absolutely battering Russians all over the shop. Paper thin plot but very enjoyable nonsense. Hope to see more of it.

Welcome to Marwen 

7/10

A guy, Mark, takes photos of dolls in a model village called Marwen that he's built, which is a Belgium village set during WW2. He sort of lives through the adventures of the main doll, Hoagie, an American GI, based on him. 

We find out that Mark was attacked in real life by neo nazis for liking to wear women's shoes, and the assault was so severe that he's lost much of his memories and has to take medication.

He struggles with issues that he tries to resolve in his fantasy land of Marwen, whilst also trying to rebuild and move on with his life in the real world.

I'm not really describing this all that well, but it's worth a watch.