What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (cinema)

Dragged to this as my son was determined to see it, for some reason. Quite a remarkable film in that my mind drifted off to other things many times, yet I didn't feel like I'd missed anything when brought back to reality. Between returning Jim Carrey to his signature comedy stylings and the absolute mountain of references to old films, I think the makers were definitely aware that this could be tough viewing for parents and have tried their best to make it as bearable as possible, and it washes over the indifferent mind quite easily as a result.

I thought Rudd's character being a Sonic Youth fan was spot on. There are millions and millions of men who try to hang onto their youth by obsessing about musicians they loved in their teens and early 20s. 

The best bit of the film is when they are dancing to Superstar and he basically has to decide whether to follow his immature impulse and try and shag Juno or act like a responsible married man and not cheat on his wife with the the teenager who is pregnant with a baby they are going to adopt. 

Blue Collar - A fairly restrained Paul Schrader film with Richard Pryor, Harvey Keitel and Yaphet Koto working in a Michigan car factory and getting themselves in trouble by digging into their corrupt union. It handles the racial angle very cleverly (and depressingly) and has that old time cinema feature of characters who have money problems that you don't see much of any more. Koto is amazing and steals it from the other two greats. 

52 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Blue Collar - A fairly restrained Paul Schrader film with Richard Pryor, Harvey Keitel and Yaphet Koto working in a Michigan car factory and getting themselves in trouble by digging into their corrupt union. It handles the racial angle very cleverly (and depressingly) and has that old time cinema feature of characters who have money problems that you don't see much of any more. Koto is amazing and steals it from the other two greats. 

That was my favourite film for a while when it came out. Glad to see it's holding up.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

That is a fantastic film  it deals with a serious subject matter but some of Pryor's rants are amusing.

6 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

That is a fantastic film  it deals with a serious subject matter but some of Pryor's rants are amusing.

His character really changes as the film progresses from being a light hearted funny guy to having the weight of the world on his shoulders and having to harden himself so his family can survive. There are so many films and shows where the characters learn to work together despite their differences but Schrader subverts that to show the real truth about how American capitalism divides and conquers. 

It also shows the horrible consequences of partying all night past the age of 35. 

19 hours ago, Detournement said:

Where did you find this? Ive been trying for over a year to find a decent stream/ netflix etc

Official Secrets (2019)

Keira Knightley is excellent in this true story about Katharine Gun, the GCHQ whistleblower who leaked a memo showing that the US and Blair's Govt were in cahoots to use dirty tricks against a bunch of countries in order to get the UN Resolution passed to start the war in Iraq. I hate Blair and after watching this I hate him even more, if that's possible. Matt Smith is also very good as the Observer journalist who printed the memo and some of the scenes at the paper's office reminded me of The Newsroom. Blair should be forced to watch this every day for the rest of his life.

8/10

040 -- The Captive (#12 in the A24 series). Ryan Reynolds literally the only decent thing in this oddly sanitized story of child abduction. A24 would go on to cover this topic much better in Room. Reynolds plays a dad who leaves his daughter, Cass, unattended in the back of his truck while he goes into a store for pie and when he comes out, she's gone. The police, particularly a rookie in the Child Protection Unit, are instantly suspicious of him, and they continue to be so over the next few years, while he is estranged from his wife who blames him for her daughter's disappearance regardless of his involvement. We learn very early on that Cass is alive and being held captive by the ringleader of a dark web child sex ring. For reasons not entirely clear, the story is told in a disjointed, non-linear fashion, over a number of years but in every scene it's snowing so it's not exactly obvious right away that this is happening. A bit of a struggle to get through. 2/10

5 hours ago, Detournement said:

I use a VPN to get on Pirate Bay and download torrents. 

Not done that in years as almost everything is either available through iptv or on Kodi. This is one of the few ive never been able to get. Cheers mate

On 18/04/2022 at 10:08, Detournement said:

I thought Rudd's character being a Sonic Youth fan was spot on. There are millions and millions of men who try to hang onto their youth by obsessing about musicians they loved in their teens and early 20s. 

The best bit of the film is when they are dancing to Superstar and he basically has to decide whether to follow his immature impulse and try and shag Juno or act like a responsible married man and not cheat on his wife with the the teenager who is pregnant with a baby they are going to adopt. 

Bateman, Shirley.

041 -- Tusk (#13 in the A24 series) Yet another movie about a podcaster who's kidnapped by a psychopathic recluse and turned into a walrus. Interesting from a curiosity point of view, and could probably have been funnier in the hands of someone other than Kevin Smith. Still 2 better than The Captive from the other day, mostly because no one got turned into a walrus during that movie. 4/10

20 minutes ago, MSU said:

041 -- Tusk (#13 in the A24 series) Yet another movie about a podcaster who's kidnapped by a psychopathic recluse and turned into a walrus. Interesting from a curiosity point of view, and could probably have been funnier in the hands of someone other than Kevin Smith. Still 2 better than The Captive from the other day, mostly because no one got turned into a walrus during that movie. 4/10

That movie genuinely seems to freak some people out. I've seen it on 'disturbing films' lists alongside stuff like Salo and Srpski Film.

Frankly, the follow-up Yoga Hosers was more unnerving due to Kev's daughter's acting.

The empire strikes back. 

My daughter claims to be a big star wars fan. Lots of toys and teddies, plays the lego games... But never seen the original trilogy. I am correcting this.

Fantastic film. Miles ahead of any star wars movie made since, er, 1980.