What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Sorcerer 

All I knew about this was it stars Rod Steiger and is directed by William Friedkin. A very long opening sets up very interesting back stories for the four main characters which is a complete waste of time as it ends up just being about driving lorries through the jungle. Underwhelming but the Tangerine Dream electro soundtrack is class. 

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Sorcerer 

All I knew about this was it stars Rod Steiger and is directed by William Friedkin. A very long opening sets up very interesting back stories for the four main characters which is a complete waste of time as it ends up just being about driving lorries through the jungle. Underwhelming but the Tangerine Dream electro soundtrack is class. 

I remember some film critic claiming that this was the greatest film of all time. Still haven't seen it.

Not sure if Mark Kermode is still banging on about The Exorcist being the best. William Friedkin seems to have a very strange effect on some people; the first one of his films I ever saw was The Guardian, and I think it made me immune to his charms.

Sorcerer 
Roy Scheider wasn't it?

52 minutes ago, pittsburgh phil said:
3 hours ago, Detournement said:
Sorcerer 

Roy Scheider wasn't it?

Aye. I'm operating on reduced brain power this week. 

Jaws

Went to see this at the cinema tonight. It was showing in 3D.

I have seen 3D movies before, like the recent pisspoor Star Wars ones. But nothing has ever compared to this. 

It helps that this is an absolute classic. As a movie it excels. But in 3D it was at another level, particularly in the final act set on the Orca. Honestly felt like the shark was coming at me. This film hasn't scared me in a long time but it did tonight. 

Just wonderful. 

On 20/08/2022 at 21:54, Mark Connolly said:

Currently watching The World is Not Enough on ITV

It's entertaining enough, as with most Bond films. Denise Richards as a nuclear physicist though. And calling her "Christmas", just for some double entendre opportunities.

Carlyle and Coltrane.

AND  Sophie Marceau as well !

Sorcerer 
I only got round to watching the film last year despite having the soundtrack LP for decades along with dozens more by Tangerine Dream. Decent enough if a bit low budget and dated looking.

On 14/09/2022 at 15:24, Detournement said:

Sorcerer 

I enjoyed it. One of the films where not much happens but it's strangely compelling.

On 14/09/2022 at 15:33, BFTD said:

I remember some film critic claiming that this was the greatest film of all time. Still haven't seen it.

Not sure if Mark Kermode is still banging on about The Exorcist being the best. William Friedkin seems to have a very strange effect on some people; the first one of his films I ever saw was The Guardian, and I think it made me immune to his charms.

Friedkin made Cruising and To Live and Die in LA.

Two of my all time favourites.

118 The Vanishing of Sidney Hall (#61 in the A24 series) -- Yikes. Sidney Hall is a genius writer and we know this because everyone he meets in the movie tells him this. Also, women are helplessly needy because every woman in this movie are helplessly needy. It's not hard to imagine that this is how the writer and director Shawn Christensen imagines himself. Self-indulgant and wanky. 3/10, mostly for Elle Fanning.

119 The Broadway Melody (#2 in the Best Picture Oscar series) -- The second movie to pick up Best Picture at the Oscars is a musical, and not a very good one. The title song is only memorable because they sing it every few minutes. Badly written and acted, I assume it got Best Picture because there was sound and people were signing. 2/10

120 The Last Movie Star (#62 in the A24 series) -- Burt Reynolds plays a version of himself, an aging movie star duped into travelling to a small indie film festival in Nashville to receive a lifetime achievement award, where he meets Lil, his aggressively feisty chauffeur, and [cue music] maybe learns a little something about himself. I liked it quite a lot of this despite it being kinda obvious. I'd have liked it a lot more with a toned down schmaltzy ending, but it's hard not to love Burt Reynolds. 7/10

121 Lean on Pete (#63 in the A24 series) -- 15 year old Charley (Charlie Plummer) lives with his mostly absent father and finds purpose working as a horse trainer. When he learns an aging racehorse is destined for an adhesive end, he kidnaps the beast and goes on a coming of age style journey across country. Poignant in places and Plummer turns in a far better performance here than he will do some years later in Moonfall. 6/10

122 Pearl (#120 in the A24 series) -- This is a prequel to X, which I thought was okay, that supposedly is an origin story for Pearl, the horny killer granny villain. It falls into the same traps as X where despite being interesting and promising, it has difficulty turning the promise into a decent third act. A lot will be made of Mia Goth, who is the best thing in it, and a 6 minute monologue, but it's no substitute for a satisfying ending and now I'm not sure Ti West knows how to write one. And despite it being an origin story, I'm not sure I learned a single thing about Pearl's character I didn't already know from X. 4/10

123 See How They Run -- Sam Rockwell and Saoirse Ronan are great in this old-fashioned British murder-mystery based around The Mousetrap which manages to also work as a decent spoof of itself. It's like the movie is in massive air quotes. Tim Key as the police commissioner manages to steal every scene he's in. 8/10

8 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I felt absolutely no sense of danger or urgency at any time. It just sort of floated through. 

I did quite enjoy the first 45 mins or so when they were doing the whole "meta" bit slightly poking fun at itself, then it just descended into a pretty bog standard Matrix sequel that I couldn't follow what was going on. 

Another thing I noticed was that for a film that obviously had a lot of money thrown at it, bits of it looked like it was made for TV. 

1 hour ago, KnightswoodVanBear said:

I did quite enjoy the first 45 mins or so when they were doing the whole "meta" bit slightly poking fun at itself, then it just descended into a pretty bog standard Matrix sequel that I couldn't follow what was going on. 

Definitely, was on the esge of my seat for the first bit. Then it fell away when he got unplugged again. The very picture of "meh".