What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

32 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I'm amazed they actually got around to making another of these; they've been trying for decades. I remember Kevin Smith being approached to make one with Jason Lee in the Nineties.

I can't imagine many people under the age of 30 having seen those films.

God, I'd forgotten all about the Kevin Smith attempted reboot. Honestly, I reckon Jason Lee would've given it a pretty good go. Jon Hamm is too handsome, as Mrs MSU never tires of pointing out.

On 23/09/2022 at 21:57, UpInTheAyr said:

Conspiracy (2001)

Kenneth Branagh leads a star studded cast of the senior Nazis that met to discuss the final solution in 1942. Basically just sitting round a table for 90 minutes talking but very well acted and chilling stuff.

Brilliant film.  We’re you able to stream it, if so from where?

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

Sicario

2015 crime thriller with fantastic performances from Emily Blunt, Josh Brolin and a chilling and wicked Benicio Del Toro, also featuring a fantastic cameo from Jon Favreau of The Walking Dead and Fury.

Hadn't seen this film till I stumbled upon it on Netflix when I was off work a bit unwell at the beginning of the week but a superb watch, without spoiling it for those yet to see it, the basic synopsis is the FBI and a few other criminal prevention groups try to infiltrate and stop Mexican drug cartels in and around the border, in particular one absolutely brutal, evil crime lord obviously loosely based on Pablo Escobar, it soon becomes clear to Emily Blunt's character that Brolin and Del Toro are not exactly playing things by the book, nor even pretending to be closely following the law in the pursuit of what they perceive as 'justice', the real reason for which becomes apparent towards the end.

Special mention too for the chilling opening where the feds discover several dead bodies concealed within the walls of the house they bust 😱😱

9/10

I think you mean Jon Bernthal, but thank you for giving me the wonderful image of Jon Favreau in those roles 😂

1 minute ago, TheGreenElves said:

I think you mean Jon Bernthal, but thank you for giving me the wonderful image of Jon Favreau in those roles 😂

Thank you, I thought I'd gone mad during Sicario and missed Favreau being money and not even knowing it.

On 25/09/2022 at 15:22, MSU said:

125 First Reformed (#65 in the A24 series) -- Ethan Hawke and Amanda Seyfried are outstanding in this story of the minister of a declining church struggling with his faith and his health in the aftermath of an environmentalist parishioner's suicide. Paul Shrader, whose writing I typically prefer over his directing, presents lots of ideas here, and nothing much in the way of solution, and it works well. Not many chuckles to be found so it's definitely one that depends on your mood. 7/10

3 points too low. 

Schrader's second perfect film after Mishima: A Life In Four Chapters. 

The Big Man.

Popped up on my recommendation list on Amazon Video. Liam Neeson plays an unemployed miner who agrees to a bare knuckle fight. Surprised I'd never heard of this before. Proper Scottish film with a who's who of 90's Scottish actors....and Liam Neeson.

4 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

The Big Man.

Popped up on my recommendation list on Amazon Video. Liam Neeson plays an unemployed miner who agrees to a bare knuckle fight. Surprised I'd never heard of this before. Proper Scottish film with a who's who of 90's Scottish actors....and Liam Neeson.

Some of it was filmed in Ayrshire. The scenes at the pit were filmed at The Barony Pit near Auchinleck

On 21/09/2022 at 14:26, BFTD said:

The Pirate Bay. According to a mate. Who also says that he knows there are better sites for downloading films, but he doesn't know them, so perhaps other P&Bers can help.

Also it's illegal, so don't do it. Hiya mods, hiya pals!

I know of one guys. Let's call him El Scottio Daddio. No relation. His wife asked him to find a show on the pirate bay called "Mom".

Having entered the word "Mom" into the bar, it was several pages before he reached a light-hearted sitcom. The results before this show were somewhat interesting.

On 29/09/2022 at 15:44, scottsdad said:

I know of one guys. Let's call him El Scottio Daddio. No relation. His wife asked him to find a show on the pirate bay called "Mom".

Having entered the word "Mom" into the bar, it was several pages before he reached a light-hearted sitcom. The results before this show were somewhat interesting.

Good Lord. I'd no idea you could find such things on the internet.

jizz-come.gif

Smile (cinema) - after a patient commits suicide in front of her, a workaholic psychiatric doctor with a troubled past finds herself suffering the attentions of a mysterious entity.

That probably sounds pretty generic, and it is. This film cribs merrily from films such as Fallen, the American Ring remake, It Follows, and [Rec], even down to specific shots. It isn't quite as good as any of them, but it's still an entertaining watch, with some creepy moments and a few harsh jumpscares for people who enjoy such things Unfortunately, the denouement is pretty predictable and too disappointing to elevate it to the ranks of the genre classics that it pays tributes to.

It's very well done, and still worth checking out in the cinema if you're a horror fan. It also has a sparingly-used, but quite unnerving score that certainly helps matters. Recommended, but don't go in expecting to have your socks rocked off.

Tarantino's entire post-Reservoir Dogs career has genuinely been cover for him to legally obtain high-quality close-up footage of attractive women's feet.

Wouldn't surprise me if he retires to devote himself to full-time foot filming, like Russ Meyer and honking great diddies.

Blonde

I saw all the babies on Twitter and in the media crying about this so I figured it would be worth watching. Andrew Dominik is a very strange choice to do a film about Marilyn Monroe considering his three films are Chopper, The Assassination Of Jesse James by The Coward Robert Ford and Killing Them Softly which are all very male films. Blonde is good, it's much better than something like Bohemian Rhapsody which takes all the edge off Freddie Mercury and leaves you with a family friendly movie. Walk The Line is obviously the high water mark for biopics but it's still a fairly conventional film. Blonde clearly isn't interested in being a biopic or claiming it can attempt to know the real Norma Jean/Marilyn and it's just three hours of watching her being exploited by Hollywood until she dies. Not an easy watch and very deliberatively provocative but there's lot to digest and it's commenting on contemporary society more than the 50s and 60s.

Edited by Detournement

131 Twilight (#3 in the Anna Kendrick series) -- Ooft, the former Mrs MSU dragged me to these movies. I was never a fan but I remembered that this one was better than what followed. But it's genuinely awful. The script, the acting, the CGI, the themes, the baseball; they're all just the worst. Still can't believe that Kermode lapped this shite up or the juggernaught of money behind this series produced films of such shocking quality. Must've been a money laundering scheme. Anna Kendrick is in it for about five minutes as someone who pretends to like Bella but actually hates her. 1/10

132 Hereditary (#67 in the A24 series) -- Ari Aster's debut does lose some of its visceral impact from a first viewing but it remains a very uneasy, ominous watch, helped by its score, that veers in and out of batshit crazy. Toni Collette has never been better, Milly Shapiro is an off-kilter revelation, and the set design is practically a character in itself. A reminder of what horror can be. Clucks tongue. 9/10

133 Cimarron (#4 in the Best Picture Oscar series) -- A western from the 1930s is never going to age perfectly well, but I quite enjoyed the history of the piece. As westward expansion was still in living memory when it was made, I can only imagine that the hundreds of settlers lined up on the border of the Oklahoma Territory, waiting for high noon before they could race into it and claim their plot is pretty accurate. Otherwise, it's an epic tale of an itchy-footed Witchita lawyer, Yancey Cravat, and the role he plays in setting up a newspaper in a new town and all the outlaws he has to deal with. It's an ambitious piece, and the only Western to win Best Picture until Dances With Wolves. 4/10

134 Woman Walks Ahead (#68 in the A24 series) -- More Western stuff and expansion themes, this time with Jessica Chastain and Sam Rockwell, but the movie is only interesting thanks to Michael Greyeyes as Sitting Bull. Chastain is a widowed artist heading out to Standing Rock to paint the Lakota Sioux chief, while Rockwell is the army dude who sees her as an agitator and tries to stop her. It's stylishly made, often brutal, but the characters are a bit flat and the narrative points a bit too obviously signposted. 6/10

135 God's Country -- ANOTHER Western. Kinda. A modern Western, if you will. Thandiwe Newton is awesome as a professor who has moved West with her mother from New Orleans to a remote house on the edge of hunting country in Montana. A truck appears on her property owned by brothers Nathan and Samuel Cody (Jefferson White and Joris Jarsky), and they want to use her land to access the hunting. Sandra politely but firmly declines the request and so begins a battle of wits and escalation as neither side backs down, even when Sandra involves the ineffectual sheriff (Jeremy Bobb) who would much rather that folks sort out their disagreements without having to get involved. It's a quiet movie that simmers away nicely but it tries to cram a bit too much in along with the main story so it loses its focus from a movie that is essentially just about a woman who wants to be left alone but no one will let her. 6/10

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

I know why this exists. I don't know why people like it. I don't know why there's so much other Star Wars stuff.

If that one didn't tickle your fancy, I'd give the sequels a miss. It's all downhill from there.