What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Beau Is Afraid: saw this on Friday night without having seen a trailer, I didn't even realise it weighed in at just under three hours (no trailers after the ads in Plymouth Vue was a clue). So I went in completely blind on the subject other than the brief one-line synopsis.

Three days later and I am still teetering between 'WTF??!!' and 'Genius!!!' which probably means it's not far off...... Joaquin Phoenix gives a great performance as an anxiety-ridden forty/fifty-something trying to get home to visit his domineering mother. 

Not too sure how to describe it but if you can imagine a post-apocalyptic Clockwise with the zany antics replaced by very black humour and swinging into thriller/light horror territory, with a very clever semi-animated dream sequence in the middle, it'll probably not disappoint. 

My usual disclaimer here about not being a very adept critic and not wanting to give away too much of a new release. I'd probably give this something in the high eight point something out of ten region. But what do I know.....

12 hours ago, MSU said:

107 STILL: A Michael J Fox Movie 

4 hours ago, The Naitch said:

Watched this over the weekend and it was superb. Agree with every word of this.

Quite fancied this but wasn’t too sure whether I’d want to watch as a big fan of his work. Will give it a bash at the weekend based on this.

52 minutes ago, IncomingExile said:

Beau Is Afraid: saw this on Friday night without having seen a trailer, I didn't even realise it weighed in at just under three hours (no trailers after the ads in Plymouth Vue was a clue). So I went in completely blind on the subject other than the brief one-line synopsis.

Three days later and I am still teetering between 'WTF??!!' and 'Genius!!!' which probably means it's not far off...... Joaquin Phoenix gives a great performance as an anxiety-ridden forty/fifty-something trying to get home to visit his domineering mother. 

Not too sure how to describe it but if you can imagine a post-apocalyptic Clockwise with the zany antics replaced by very black humour and swinging into thriller/light horror territory, with a very clever semi-animated dream sequence in the middle, it'll probably not disappoint. 

My usual disclaimer here about not being a very adept critic and not wanting to give away too much of a new release. I'd probably give this something in the high eight point something out of ten region. But what do I know.....

Agreed. Saw this a few weeks ago and still don't quite know what to make of it. So much of it didn't make sense (or rather I couldn't make sense of it) but I don't know that I've seen a better representation of a nightmare or a panic attack. Phoenix is awesome either way.

Only two films but over a few weeks so memory's a bit hazy:

18. Missing - Cinema

An exciting mystery that does get a bit too schlocky but the first two thirds are fun. From my memory of Searching, which I haven't seen since it was out in the cinema, this is slicker which I didn't really prefer - the more reserved nature of Searching suited the gimmick imo - but it still uses the internet in fun, clever ways that set things up and knock them down. They also seemed to know what the audience (or me) would expect to happen and the film sometimes leads down those paths before subverting them in an often satisfying way. I probably enjoyed the journey more than the destination, though, and I have found that found footage films (if you want to call this that) can sometimes struggle with how to shoot the conclusion. I felt that the conclusion of Missing was more visually confusing than exciting or tense. I did enjoy it though. 

The best part of the film? After more than 20 years of going to the cinema, I finally had a screening all to myself which was absolutely delightful. I've been teased on a couple of occasions, and technically me and my family saw How to Train Your Dragon on our own, but this was the first time where I was literally the only person there. 

19. Return to Seoul - Cinema

This was a new cinema for me (Everyman in Edinburgh) which kind of contributed to my appreciation of Return to Seoul in a roundabout way. That's because the first hour or so was hindered by constant booming from a film in another screening, which was obviously annoying but also drew my attention to the fact that so many scenes were devoid of underscoring music or intrusive sound effects. This drew me into the awkwardness and raw emotion of the main character and made for a really affecting experience, at least when the film next door finished. 

We've seen a few of these films focusing on a 20-something female who's sort of lost in her own life. Just last year we had Licorice Pizza and The Worst Person in the World, and this follows a similar path in terms of having a chaotic woman whose madness is an attempt to mask her insecurities, but this is a bit stranger as her development doesn't follow traditional screenwriting rules. We pick up at fragmented moments in her life (1 year later, 2 years later, I think then 5 years, then 1 year) where a lot of development has occurred off-screen. On the surface, this makes it a bit harder to invest in her character, but it was actually effective for me in terms of showing how her draw to her hometown - where she doesn't really have that much connection - changes over time. There are also the throughlines of love, reconciliation and forgiveness which are gradually built up emotionally which all feed into this idea of depicting the pain you need to go through to develop as a person and find happiness. 

I sometimes struggle with films that have a few big time jumps, but I actually found myself becoming more engaged with every one in Return to Seoul. 

3 hours ago, accies1874 said:

After more than 20 years of going to the cinema, I finally had a screening all to myself which was absolutely delightful. I've been teased on a couple of occasions, and technically me and my family saw How to Train Your Dragon on our own, but this was the first time where I was literally the only person there. 

Only time I've been the only c**t in the screening was Saw IV and when the Cineworld boy poked his head in to make sure I wasn't recording it on my phone, I shat myself. (Also enjoyed Missing -- good fun)

Edited by MSU

(34) The Whole Truth (2016) – Netflix

Keanu Reeves plays a lawyer in a courtroom drama where he’s defending a teenager accused of killing his wealthy father. It never really gets going with the main suspense being the fact that the son refuses to talk since the alleged murder until much later in the court hearing. Reeves is friends with the murdered man played by James Belushi who was also a respected lawyer which adds to the drama and there are a couple of twists but don’t expect to be wowed by this film 6/10

(35) The Leather Boys (1964) – Talking Pictures

This one is little known but has become a bit of a cult film and is certainly pretty controversial considering the time period it was made. Rita Tushingham is fresh out of school and marries her biker boyfriend but the reality of working class life starts to affect their marriage. It’s very kitchen sink drama with her now husband spending too much time with his biker pal played by Dudley Sutton who is really good in the part. There is an obvious attraction between the two men and eventually this leads to a tragic ending for the three of them. 8/10

(36) To Catch A Thief (1955) – DVD

Cary Grant and Grace Kelly in this Hitchcock film which is pretty lightweight by comparison to many of his films. However it has some great scenic shots and the ironic five minute scene with Grace Kelly driving her sports car at speed along the hilltop roads of the French Riviera. It’s a decent story about the two of them teaming up to try and catch a burglar stealing from the wealthy residents and making it look like Cary Grant’s work as his character is a known cat burglar but pleads his innocence. 7/10

(37) A Night In Casablanca (1946) – Talking Pictures

This is the Marx Brothers last film together and while it doesn’t quite match the high standard of previous ones there’s still plenty of laughs in this caper set in a hotel in post war Casablanca. Groucho is hired to manage a hotel whose previous managers have been murdered. A ring of ex-Nazis are suspected and the brothers all work together in their comical way to find the instigators and bring them to justice. 7/10

(38) Never Take Sweets From A Stranger (1961) – Talking Pictures

Very powerful film about a paedophile in a small Canadian town.The 9 year old daughter of the newly appointed head teacher goes with her friend to a big house and later tells her parents that the old man got them to take off all their clothes and dance for him in exchange for some sweets.The incident is rightly reported but the man is the patriarch of the town’s wealthiest family and everyone closes ranks. The girls later encounter the man again with fatal consequences and the full truth about him is revealed. 7.5/10

(39) Last Night In Soho (2021) – Sky Cinema

Directed by Edgar Wright so you get a good idea it’s not going to be a straightforward story. Thomasin McKenzie, who I knew from Jojo Rabbit, is excellent as the young fashion designer who heads off to art college in that London. She clearly has mental health issues, seeing her dead mother, and begins to find herself back in the 60s where she sees a would-be singer played by Anya Taylor Joy before it all starts to get seedy and things escalate before the grisly twist in the final act. 7.5/10

On 23/05/2023 at 10:38, coprolite said:

Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone

1-3 are on Netflix now so getting rewatched with the youngest, who hasn’t really seen them.

This one’s shite.  

4/10

Best one is goblet of fire (no.4)  prisoner of Azkaban (no.3)is decent too though. Recently took my godson on a Harry Potter walking tour in Edinburgh,very interactive for the kids and would highly recommend 

On 23/05/2023 at 10:10, accies1874 said:

The best part of the film? After more than 20 years of going to the cinema, I finally had a screening all to myself which was absolutely delightful. I've been teased on a couple of occasions, and technically me and my family saw How to Train Your Dragon on our own, but this was the first time where I was literally the only person there. 

I was the only person in the cinema when I went to see ‘Glengarry Glen Ross’ when it was first released back in the early ‘90s. I absolutely loved it, and couldn’t understand why no-one else showed up - Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon and (perhaps surprisingly, but particularly) Alec Baldwin are all brilliant in it. There are so many quotable lines in this film, courtesy of David Mamet’s razor sharp script. I often mention it to people when the subject of favourite films comes up, and almost no-one else has seen it, so it must have really bombed at the box office. Though the discerning few that have seen it also tend to rave about it. I’m a big David Mamet fan, and I also love ‘The Spanish Prisoner’, ‘House of Games’ and ‘Homicide’ (all of which no-one else seems to have seen either) though ‘Glengarry Glen Ross’ is definitely Mamet’s finest hour (as a screenwriter at least). 

Edited by Frankie S

Catching up, the ex-wife was keen on seeing tedious films that seemed to go on forever in the cinema (Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Star Wars prequels), and the more boring, the more my arse seemed to go to sleep. The first two Harry Potter films left me numb from the waist down, but they did improve after that, and I remember the one when Gary Oldman gets killed being quite good. Sorry, spoilers.

I've been the only one in the cinema for a few films over the years - the first I remember was a very late showing of K-9 when I was a wee boy (I forget why I was out that late). It was the opening night, which probably didn't bode well for the box office. The last one was recent, and might have been a mid-afternoon showing of Nocebo? It just doesn't feel right; I really prefer a few strangers being present, even if you run the risk of them being knobs. It's nice to feel like you're sharing the experience.

3 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

I was the only person in the cinema when I went to see ‘Glengarry Glen Ross’ when it was first released back in the early ‘90s. I absolutely loved it, and couldn’t understand why no-one else showed up - Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon and (perhaps surprisingly, but particularly) Alec Baldwin are all brilliant in it. There are so many quotable lines in this film, courtesy of David Mamet’s razor sharp script. I often mention it to people when the subject of favourite films comes up, and almost no-one else has seen it, so it must have really bombed at the box office. Though the discerning few that have seen it also tend to rave about it. I’m a big David Mamet fan, and I also love ‘The Spanish Prisoner’, ‘House of Games’ and ‘Homicide’ (all of which no-one else seems to have seen either) though ‘Glengarry Glen Ross’ is definitely Mamet’s finest hour (as a film director at least). 

I thought GGR had done alright but, yeah, it lost money on a small budget. It seemed to get a load of good press at the time, from press and folk who saw it. Alec Baldwin's character certainly seemed to enter the zeitgeist for a while. Then again, despite having it on the watch list for a long time, I still haven't seen it.

I remember the response to The Spanish Prisoner seemed to be, "ah, so Steve Martin's finally given up on ever being funny again, huh?"  :P

10 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

I was the only person in the cinema when I went to see ‘Glengarry Glen Ross’ when it was first released back in the early ‘90s. I absolutely loved it, and couldn’t understand why no-one else showed up - Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon and (perhaps surprisingly, but particularly) Alec Baldwin are all brilliant in it. There are so many quotable lines in this film, courtesy of David Mamet’s razor sharp script. I often mention it to people when the subject of favourite films comes up, and almost no-one else has seen it, so it must have really bombed at the box office. Though the discerning few that have seen it also tend to rave about it. I’m a big David Mamet fan, and I also love ‘The Spanish Prisoner’, ‘House of Games’ and ‘Homicide’ (all of which no-one else seems to have seen either) though ‘Glengarry Glen Ross’ is definitely Mamet’s finest hour (as a film director at least). 

Just last week I did my very best Al Pacino impression as I muttered "stupid fucking c**t" at something that was pissing me off. Apparently it needs work.

Edited by MSU

Just taken my niece to see the live action Little Mermaid.

It’s fine. It ticks all the boxes that the Disney live action remakes require - looks stunning, the songs you’ve always loved are there, and it’s done well enough that you don’t feel that you have wasted too much of your time and/or money.

Spoiler

Like some of the other live action remakes, there are some new songs, but unlike the others, in this case, one of the new songs is so bad it’s bordering on offensive. The song “Wild Uncharted Waters” (and the entire sequence, in fact) might be one one of the worst in Disney history. It’s fucking dreadful.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Better than the first one. The elf and Ron Weasley’s mugging are extremely irritating. Ken Branagh and Jason Isaacs are brilliant. Quite a bit darker than the first.  Utterly stupid plot.

5/10

11 hours ago, coprolite said:

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Better than the first one. The elf and Ron Weasley’s mugging are extremely irritating. Ken Branagh and Jason Isaacs are brilliant. Quite a bit darker than the first.  Utterly stupid plot.

5/10

I feel no guilt for the spoiler, but console yourself with the knowledge that the fucking elf dies. Nice reason to be cheerful if you get bored during the coming films.

Ron Weasley ends up in an M. Night Shyamalan film, which some would argue is a fate worse then death.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Much more like it. The dementors are properly terrifying for kids. 

There's an actual plot with twists and stuff. It's still silly obviously but not completely dumb. Brilliant scene-chewing performances dialled up to 11 from the ensemble of Thewliss, Oldman and Spall. But Alan Rickman steals the show in this one, i don't know how he manages to make "page 394" sound quite so sinister, but it's brilliant. 

The aesthetics in this one are much improved too. 

7/10

7 hours ago, coprolite said:

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Much more like it. The dementors are properly terrifying for kids. 

There's an actual plot with twists and stuff. It's still silly obviously but not completely dumb. Brilliant scene-chewing performances dialled up to 11 from the ensemble of Thewliss, Oldman and Spall. But Alan Rickman steals the show in this one, i don't know how he manages to make "page 394" sound quite so sinister, but it's brilliant. 

The aesthetics in this one are much improved too. 

7/10

I think this is most people's pick of the bunch. Nothing about the series, particularly the books, really stands up to much scrutiny, but it really starts to drop off a cliff after this one.

110 Robots -- The conceit of this movie is something Adam Sandler would probably pass on. In the near future, immigrants have been replaced by robots to do all the work the immigrants did. The robots are humanoid but are clearly robots. Somehow, Jack Whitehall's character gets his hands on one that looks and sounds EXACTLY like Jack Whitehall and because Jack Whitehall is a very lazy character, he uses his robot to go on initial dates with women before moving in and fucking them himself. He's a lovely guy. Then we have Shailene Woodley who also somehow has a robot who looks EXACTLY like Shailene Woodley and she uses her robot to go on dates with men and dig some gold out of them before dumping them when they stop splashing the cash. Due to an entirely predictable mix-up with dates and addresses, the two robots meet up, fall in love, and f**k off to Mexico. The problem for Jack Whitehall and Shailene Woodley is that possession of robots is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN, and this is the case to make sure the movie can happen, so the two of them head off to track down their robotic counterparts, and wouldn't you know it, they also fall in love on the way. Shockingly predictable but there's a half-decent joke at Moby's expense that I quite enjoyed. 3/10

111 You Hurt My Feelings (#134 in the A24 series) -- When A24 isn't making the same drug movie over and over, it's quite good at making these wee character studies, and this is pretty decent. Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Tobias Menzies are Beth and Don, a long-married, successful and comfortable couple whose son works in a pot store, while Beth's sister, Sarah (Michaela Watkins) is an interior designer and her husband, Mark (Arian Moayed) is a struggling actor. Beth is a writer, Don is a therapist, and their marriage is given a shock when Beth overhears Don tell Mark what he really thinks about her latest book. The movie as a whole is all about characters seeking validation, but it seems only the kind of validation they want to hear. Beth wants Don to tell her he loves her book and mean it. Don struggles to be appreciated by his client list, a couple of whom actively hate him. Sarah can't find the perfect lamp for a particular customer, and Mark just wants the shortcut to fame. This is a problem as everyone seems to want the same thing, but it's maybe not so much of a problem as these are all fairly rich, comfortable white folks complaining that people aren't loving them in the right way. Still, pretty good fun and I chuckled quite a bit throughout. 7/10

112 Kandahar -- If you're a filmmaker in 2023 who wants Gerard Butler to star in your movie, you need to be prepared to answer four questions: Where is Gerard Butler currently? What is Gerard Butler's occupation? Where is Gerard Butler trying to go? Which holiday or celebration is Gerard Butler intending to share with his estranged daughter upon arrival? The second Gerard Butler movie I've seen this year is very much like the first one I saw, Plane. Except here, he's a CIA operative rather than a pilot, he's stranded in Afghanistan, rather than a SE Asian island, he's trying to get home to the UK in both movies, and his daughter is graduating rather than wanting to see in the New Year. It's a decent, if derivative couple of hours as Butler's character's cover is compromised after he destroys an Iranian nuclear facility, and he and his interpreter race to get to a CIA base in Kandahar, some 400 miles away. In hot pursuit, we have the Taliban, Pakistan's ISI, ISIS, and the BBC License Fee Collections Agency. The landscapes are amazing and there are a couple of decent setpieces that keep the interest afloat. 5/10

Edited by MSU