What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

2 hours ago, MSU said:

082 GoldenEye -- As a guy who was brought up with Connery and Moore, I'm needing to adjust my opinion somewhat about these new kids on the block because so far, I haven't been disappointed. 

Although he was absolutely suited to the style of the films he was in, Moore was the worst Bond for me. More about the way Bond was written at the time than about him though.

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

Although he was absolutely suited to the style of the films he was in, Moore was the worst Bond for me. More about the way Bond was written at the time than about him though.

Agree 100%. The Spy Who Loved Me gets pass marks but mostly when compared to other Moore efforts. The parody tone of the others, the writing, Moore's age at the time, none of them do much apart from sparking nostalgic thoughts of Christmases as a bairn.

Watched ‘Diamonds Are Forever’ again recently. Still quite astounding how they cocked up so much and seemingly got away with it. After Plenty ‘O Toole gets chucked into the pool, never to be seen again you’d think, she turns up wearing concrete boots in Tiffany Case’s pool. Why? There was nothing to suggest why. They cut out an entire scene whereby she had survived being thrown into the hotel pool by the Slumber Inc heavies, returned to the room, saw Bond and Case getting it on, and, well, whatever, it’s James Bond… the other belter is filming the car on two wheels down the alley, realising they filmed it exiting on its other two wheels, and just inserted a studio shot of the car somehow flipping from one side to the other. The moon buggy chase - wheels falling off the moon buggy and bouncing past clearly in shot - it simply carries on with all its wheels. No-one thought ‘ach fcuk, CUT!’. Finally, can anyone explain what the fcuk the character Shady Tree had to do with anything?

Aye, different days. 😀 Still love that movie no matter what.

Edited by pozbaird

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Watched ‘Diamonds Are Forever’ again recently. Still quite astounding how they cocked up so much and seemingly got away with it. After Plenty ‘O Toole gets chucked into the pool, never to be seen again you’d think, she turns up wearing concrete boots in Tiffany Case’s pool. Why? There was nothing to suggest why. They cut out an entire scene whereby she had survived being thrown into the hotel pool by the Slumber Inc heavies, returned to the room, saw Bond and Case getting it on, and, well, whatever, it’s James Bond… the other belter is filming the car on two wheels down the alley, realising they filmed it exiting on its other two wheels, and just inserted a studio shot of the car somehow flipping from one side to the other. The moon buggy chase - wheels falling off the moon buggy and bouncing past clearly in shot - it simply carries on with all its wheels. No-one thought ‘ach fcuk, CUT!’. Finally, can anyone explain what the fcuk the character Shady Tree had to do with anything?

Aye, different days. 😀 Still love that movie no matter what.

I cycle past the Tiffany Case house almost everyday 

Screenshot_2023-04-03-19-20-26-67_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg

John Wick 4 (cinema) - Keanu Reeves shoots many, many people.

I saw the first one when it was new out and liked it, but haven't seen the others. The wean actually asked if he could spend time with me and go to see this one, so I couldn't really say no. I don't think I missed too much in the interim, as it's really just Keanu and his mates murdering hundreds of mooks, so there wasn't much to be confused by.

I really enjoyed it. Very stylish and moody; tremendously artistic ballet of violence, with some nice humorous moments and a terrific cast playing some memorable characters. I really like the stuttery movement they've worked on during the fights, as it helps disguise the choreographed nature and makes the whole thing seem a little more feasible (and the fight scenes are just utterly ridiculous in scale). There's a few bits of shonky CG, but it's not the kind of film where that spoils your enjoyment. Most surprisingly, it didn't feel overlong at just under three hours, which is pretty impressive for a film where action is more important than dialogue. Nice score too.

The wean mentioned afterwards that a couple of scenes reminded him of video games (namely Cyberpunk 2077 and Hotline Miami), and I'd been thinking the exact same thing. Not a criticism - it's just the kind of film where taking kinetic inspiration from action games can work out really well.

On 03/04/2023 at 16:46, Mark Connolly said:

Brosnan was the perfect blend of moore and connery, thought he was an excellent Bond, plus as you say the films he was in helped that

2 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Brosnan was the perfect blend of moore and connery, thought he was an excellent Bond, plus as you say the films he was in helped that

Brosnan's films were generally pretty poor IMO. Goldeneye is obviously a classic, but Tomorrow Never Dies was very mediocre and The World is Not Enough was pretty dire. I actually liked Die Another Day, probably because I appreciate unintentionally bad films, but it regularly ends up at the bottom of Bond film lists.

He was quite unlucky in the films they wrote for him, as he was perfect for the role.

2 hours ago, BTFD said:

Brosnan's films were generally pretty poor IMO. Goldeneye is obviously a classic, but Tomorrow Never Dies was very mediocre and The World is Not Enough was pretty dire. I actually liked Die Another Day, probably because I appreciate unintentionally bad films, but it regularly ends up at the bottom of Bond film lists.

He was quite unlucky in the films they wrote for him, as he was perfect for the role.

Quite liked tomorrow never dies lol, but they quickly went poor after that, but i liked brosnan overall, think the faster paced and heavier action suited him, plus he still had the looks to pull off the charming agent vibe

Villian 2020 - Everything about this movie suggests it wont be any good. Low budget, a played out gangster storyline and setting, Craig Fairbass as the lead but somehow it manages to be ok. Some decent cinema topography, a good music score and some good acting even from Fairbass and some of the other characters especially the actress playing his daughter who was really excellent. It also contains one of the most explosive realistic scene of violence Ive seen in movies. It lacks depth and some of the characters would be better served with some more storyline. It has plenty moments where its verging on the farcical but just does enough to keep you watching. 

5/10

Edited by ScotiaNostra

Dungeons and dragons, Honour among thieves. 

I thoroughly enjoyed this. The trailer I saw at the cinema looked good, so we went. The trailer on TV made it look awful. But the final movie was fun, action and adventure with a lot of good comedy thrown in. Chris Pine was well cast and had most of the one liners. 

Coming out of the cinema the kids were babbling away about the film. So glad we chose this over Super Mario. 

I've never played the game, and you didn't need to to enjoy this. There might have been references for players in there I didn't see but I don't care. 

If you are looking for a fun movie to watch, I really do recommend this one. 

Took the kids to see Mario.

Its very pretty, the soundtrack is awesome, and it's well cast. I laughed out loud a few times and the kids loved it. Loads of Easter Eggs for the nerds. 

That said, there are definitely better "kids films that adults can enjoy too" out there. The whole thing feels a bit like an excuse to cram in all your favourite Mario bits together rather than an actual film. 

Worth seeing if you have kids and/or love Nintendo, but I doubt you'll want to watch it repeatedly. 

084 The World is Not Enough -- I went to see this in 1999 and fell asleep in the cinema, something I've always put down to having had "a few" beforehand. Watching it now, that's probably still partially to blame but I think the lion's share goes to the fact that this is a very boring movie. I wonder if the premise is just too focused on the well-being of an oil heiress, or the cast list included Goldie and I'm assuming a comedy turn from John Cleese is a bit too questionable, or the fact that the franchise's fascination with the nautical has seldom got my pulse raised. I still think Brosnan is a good, maybe even great Bond, but there's not much that can fix a shite story. Good theme tune, tho. 4/10

085 Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves -- I've never been a D&D fan in real life, and I don't think I've seen any of the previous attempts to put it on the big screen, but I was a massive fan of the cartoon series in the 80s and from I saw from the trailers, it looked like writers and directors John Francis Daley and Jonathan M. Goldstein were too. This thought was confirmed about five minutes into the movie. And even though it's a completely different movie, you can see and hear Game Night in the style and the beat of the jokes.

The CGI works better on backgrounds than it does on some of the things zipping around the screen, the story isn't about to surprise anyone, and most of the twists and turns are reliant on fairly convenient events. The McGuffin is with Jobby the Whiffy? Well, guess what, Doric saw Jobby the Whiffy just the other day and knows where he is. If anything, though, that just makes it more authentic D&D. Convenience is part of the game. The way to escape the dungeon is in the dungeon or the thing that was picked up just before entering the dungeon turns out to be the thing that'll find us the key. Either way, I can forgive these shortcomings because the movie is enormous fun, it doesn't take itself too seriously, the actors are committed to the roles, the script is funny throughout, the landscapes are gorgeous, the action scenes thrilling -- maybe one too many examples of one-versus-many? -- the pay-off is just about worth the runtime, and Hugh Grant really is THAT good. And it was nice to see the hat-tip to the cartoon towards the end when those characters appear to be in a cage about to be killed. I can see myself enjoying this a few more times before the inevitable sequels start coming out. When they do, I hope they retain the mood and the spirit of this. 8/10

(26) Dog Gone (2023) – Netflix

Based on a true story about a dog that goes missing which mirrored something that happened to my neighbour’s dog a few weeks ago when it went missing in Devilla Forest and it took four days for him, his wife and 2 young daughters to find Brendan (yes they’re ‘tic supporters) after camping out on an estate where he was spotted. This film is obviously on a much bigger scale with Rob Lowe’s son getting himself a dog in last year at high school but while they are out on the Appalachian Trail the dog gets lost. It's all pretty predictable with father and son bonding, the mother staying at home organising all the flyers, social media and phone calls. Dog lovers should lap it up though. 6/10

(27) Emily The Criminal (2022) – Sky Cinema

Not a bad wee film.  Aubrey Plaza,  who I know nothing about but who gets great reviews for her part in Parks & Recreation, plays a young woman struggling to pay off her student loans working as a food delivery driver. She is really good as she naively gets involved in a small-time credit card fraud but is then sucked into a much bigger scam operation. Some good action scenes and nice twist at the end. 7/10

(28) Lynch/Oz (2022) – Film4

As a massive fan of anything David Lynch does this was a must see for me. It’s well documented that Lynch has a handful of films which have influenced him like Sunset Boulevard and 81/2 but probably his most influential is The Wizard of Oz and this documentary analyses all his films and Twin Peaks to show the comparisons. It’s done in 6 Chapters exploring everything from dream reality to the sound of wind to red shoes and even curtains. Loved it but you really need to know all of his films to fully appreciate this documentary. 8.5/10

(29) Moonage Daydream (2022) – Netflix

Having just watched Lynch/Oz this really does feel like a companion piece as the life of both Davids have followed a very similar path, Lynch through his films and Bowie through his music. In this film you see, like Lynch, that Bowie liked to do a lot of artwork and sculpting which verged on the surreal and by creating his various persona he was using himself as a canvas. It’s all very transcendental, again like Lynch, with some great footage I hadn’t seen before and at times it feels like you’re on a psychedelic journey into the mind of Bowie. Great stuff. 8.5/10

3 minutes ago, JustOneCornetto said:

(27) Emily The Criminal (2022) – Sky Cinema

Not a bad wee film.  Aubrey Plaza,  who I know nothing about but who gets great reviews for her part in Parks & Recreation, plays a young woman struggling to pay off her student loans working as a food delivery driver. She is really good as she naively gets involved in a small-time credit card fraud but is then sucked into a much bigger scam operation. Some good action scenes and nice twist at the end. 7/10

Been meaning to watch this for a while. Sounds like something I'd enjoy.

The Big Man

Liam Neeson gets offered money to fight a guy.

His wife says dinnae. 

He starts training.

She fucks off with the kids and shags Hugh Grant.

Neeson fights the guy, gets a sair pus and a bag of money.

His wife comes back and says she doesn't want the money.

Neeson gives the money back.

Seems to me the film basically amounts to Neeson getting a sair pus and his wife shags around behind his back.

Went and saw Mario today with my stepdaughter's wee girl.

It comes full circle. As a 9 year old, I went in 1993 to see the Mario movie with my dad and was absolutely beyond buzzing as a massive Nintendo and Mario franchise fan. The Wizard had been my undoubted favourite film as a child so It was a dream to see Mario on the big screen...I came out of the cinema wondering WTF I had watched.

30 years later, I went and watched the new movie with a 10 year old family member of my own and it was everything that I had hoped at her age it would be back in 1993. It's an easy watch, nothing complicated or cynical in there, not even a nudge nudge to the parents in the audience as it didn't really need it - the nostalgic Nintendo references were enough to raise a smile. Was visually very nice, amazingly animated, musically wonderful (as it's the Mario score FFS) and definitely not warranting the criticism that journalists seem intent on throwing its way. A good wee easy watch that will set up for an entire line of Nintendo movies given the performance of its first weekend and I'm all for that happening.

7.5/10. Would watch again.