What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

On 24/08/2024 at 22:33, Scorge said:

Had a day off yesterday and needed a rest so did 4 films back-to-back. It's surprisingly toll-taking - has anyone gone more?

Oh yes. As recently as New Year I did 5 Star Trek movies in a day (2, 3, 4, 6, First Contact)

I have done this before with various combinations.

Had a day off yesterday and needed a rest so did 4 films back-to-back. It's surprisingly toll-taking - has anyone gone more?

Yes.

A decade or so ago I binged the "Lord of the rings" trilogy.

A whole 9 hours and 19 minutes.

At the end, I felt like I covered every inch of Mordo, myself.

Never again.

On 24/08/2024 at 17:33, Scorge said:

Won't do full reviews, but Blink Twice is a quite interesting Escape From Wrong 'Un Island thriller , The Crow is utter toot with sub-video game special effects splatter, It Ends With Us would be a generic cliche-ridden 2.15 Wednesday afternoon Channel 5 fluff were it not for the DV stuff, thankfully Between The Temples was a light if slightly slow-burning comedy about an ennui-ridden cantor.

Most I've done at the cinema was 4 in a day at the Cineworld on Renfrew Street in 2011. I was there from 11 in the morning until around 10 at night, testing out my shiny new Unlimited Card. I saw Bad Teacher, a Shrek movie, Stake Land and, I think, Cave of Forgotten Dreams. It was quite exhausting and I've never done more than 3 in a day at the cinema since.

I did a Star Trek one at the about to be demolished ABC in Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow. 

TMP, WoK, III, IV, V, and VI (I can't remember if Generations was included as well)

I think I had a sleep during V.

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I did a Star Trek one at the about to be demolished ABC in Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow. 

TMP, WoK, III, IV, V, and VI (I can't remember if Generations was included as well)

I think I had a sleep during V.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9528db7hodfa4w4ralddc

Saw Alien: Romulus today.  I enjoyed it but it's a flawed film

What I enjoyed about it

Visually, the set design and the look of the film are excellent, really in keeping with the original two classics.  The vibe of 'truckers in space' is very strong, harking back to the first film.  

The special effects were good, significantly less CGI and lots of rubber suited guys in xenomorph costumes and face huggers shaking and shifting.  Very good and far, far better than any rendered look.  Ian Holm returning was a bit creepy and not entirely necessary but hey ho.

There were good performances from Cailee Spaeny as Rain and David Jonsson as Andy.  They gave the movie a heart and stopped it being 'blank spaces being killed by a monster' type movie.  David Jonsson did really well as Andy, he could so easily have got it crushingly wrong but he nailed it.

The scene is set nicely I thought and they don't rush into the action, the tension is built really well.  If there's one thing Alvarez can do it's build tension in a movie - Don't Breathe was a great example of this.  He can also do gore well, as the Evil Dead remake showed and he handles the chest-bursting scenes well.  I like Alvarez' movies and his direction and writing are good, they avoid the pretentiousness of Prometheus and Covenant.

The plot is simple and, while a little bit derivative of Aliens, it works well - race against the clock in a rapidly destructing space ship while being hunted by the Aliens.  Can't beat it.

What I didn't like about it

The third act is just silly.  The themes of motherhood are important to the Alien series but it seems that every film now has to have a super exploitative preanancy/death/horror birth aspect.  The 'Offspring' ending is just too much.  In addition, it doesn't work in terms of the plot - the antagonist at the end is only introduced right at the end, there hasn't been any foreshadowing of them and they aren't built up as a threat or an enemy.  You just get to the end and the film goes "here's this weird looking thing that's emerged from the pretty pregnant lassie!".  In the first two films there are similar endings but the antagonist is either the main character (Alien) or clearly introduced and understood (the queen in Aliens). 

The callbacks to the previous films, which accelerate during the ending, are very clunky.  My wife, as big a fan of Aliens as you'll find, rolled her eyes at the "get away from her.... you bitch" scene and the slipping into the spacesuit is also a bit passe.  It's like they didn't really know how to end the film so just reguritated a load of stuff from previous ones and put in some really gross stuff about childbirth.

Overall I'd say it's a 7/10.  As noted, it's the best outside the first two.

As Alien: Romulus has been out for a while now, I'm going to mention a "spoiler".

I'm literally the only one to have pointed out that there's an alien breastfeeding scene in this film. That's a thing that happened. I'm assuming you've all tried to scour that memory from your brains, but I'm here to tell you that you did see that and it wasn't a horrible fever dream. Somebody thought this was a good idea, and was paid money for it.

15 hours ago, BFTD said:

As Alien: Romulus has been out for a while now, I'm going to mention a "spoiler".

I'm literally the only one to have pointed out that there's an alien breastfeeding scene in this film. That's a thing that happened. I'm assuming you've all tried to scour that memory from your brains, but I'm here to tell you that you did see that and it wasn't a horrible fever dream. Somebody thought this was a good idea, and was paid money for it.

lycia-naff-total-recall-1990-v0-iskowmom

18 hours ago, BFTD said:

image.png.8a696ca451c03f33db76e29c8b06da67.png

The guy who plays 'The Offspring' in the movie is this guy, Robert Bobroczkyi, a Romanian basketball player.

No photo description available.

Don't think I've ever seen a more terrifying human being than that.

Demolition Man

On netflix, stuck something on in the background while working, yup its an oldie but imo it's a classic for just good quality fun

Nope you dont need to focus on the plot, yes there's a lot of "just forget about normal stuff and enjoy this wild nonsense" moments

But its still one of my favourite films, bullock, stallone and snipes all work well together, some of the one liners are just tremendous to the point you can repeat them word for word as they are so memorable, the fight scene between stallone and snipes in the museum is top dollar 

1 hour ago, 54_and_counting said:

Demolition Man

On netflix, stuck something on in the background while working, yup its an oldie but imo it's a classic for just good quality fun

Nope you dont need to focus on the plot, yes there's a lot of "just forget about normal stuff and enjoy this wild nonsense" moments

But its still one of my favourite films, bullock, stallone and snipes all work well together, some of the one liners are just tremendous to the point you can repeat them word for word as they are so memorable, the fight scene between stallone and snipes in the museum is top dollar 

How do the stones work as bog roll?

That is my abiding memory.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

The guy who plays 'The Offspring' in the movie is this guy, Robert Bobroczkyi, a Romanian basketball player.

No photo description available.

Don't think I've ever seen a more terrifying human being than that.

A long career in horror films awaits, much like Doug "The Human Pretzel" Jones.

72. Cuckoo - Cinema

I liked this best in its earlier scenes, particularly while at the hotel which gave off Twin Peaks and The Shining vibes. Twin Peaks due to the strange, illogical goings on involving guests in a old-timey hotel similar to the Great Northern, especially when you can hear the muzak in the background; The Shining due to Gretchen being a character who is haunted by what she's brought into the hotel. The antiquated hotel sets are contrasted with the sterilised bright whites of Gretchen and her family's new home as well as the hospital in which a decent chunk of the film takes place. You get a real sense of all of these locations due to the mega wide frame. The contrast between them almost makes it feel like two different films - and that's kind of my problem. 

From a story perspective, playing the old and the new off of each other makes perfect sense, as Gretchen is struggling to come to terms with her new family dynamic (there's a scene and line of dialogue around midway through that brings this into clear view), unaccepting of her half-sister, haunted by the presence of her dead mother. However, my issue is that I felt there was just too much going on in a film that could've been delightfully simple if it just focused on a teenage girl starting a job in a strange hotel to escape her disrupted family. I don't think that it needed all that fat involving conspiracies and pregnancies, as they showed throughout with the creepy images, glimpses of an unsettling atmosphere and terrific use of sound that all of the film's best parts were in the mood-setting, so I'd have been perfectly OK if they just relied on that.

73. Kneecap - Cinema 

Did I dislike this or did I just dislike the tanked up Irish maws in the screening who treated it like a pantomime? Who's to say. 

Starting on a positive note, the way in which it forces you to consider Irish sectarianism and British oppression by referring to the American Civil Rights movement and Native Americans was interesting to me, as it took an eminent moment in history that's still taught in schools and represented in popular culture and used that to help you understand an issue that doesn't have quite the same binary outlook as the one it references. That does bring me onto a comparatively minor issue, though, and that's that a lot of its central ideas felt like they were just applying an Irish coat of paint to things that I've seen explored in millions of other films.

That wouldn't be quite as much of an issue were it not for the fact that I found it to be a complete mess and kinda insufferable at points, getting bogged down in the kind of patter that could only have been written by a teenager who thinks that they're the dog's bollocks because they *break the law* or a middle-aged man who's spending this morning fretting about Oasis tickets (I quite like Oasis but it's an effectively evocative link to make). On the topic of music, while I'm not a hip-hop fan, I did appreciate how the songs' lyrics developed from boring Going Out and Getting Smashed to become a bit more meaningful - it helped to track the characters' development in a messy, messy script. 

I feel a bit bad about being harsh, as the trailers didn't make a good impression on me and I only saw it out of convenience.

5 hours ago, Swarley said:

Image of He doesn't know how to use the seashells.

I'd totally forgotten Deuce Bigalow was in that. Now better known as a comedic performance artist, of course.

I've also just discovered he was in an American remake of Men Behaving Badly  :blink:

Finally got round to watching The Iron Claw the other day without knowing anything about the true story it's based on.  f**king hell... not even much of a crier over films but that really got me.

4 hours ago, Starksdynamo said:

Finally got round to watching The Iron Claw the other day without knowing anything about the true story it's based on.  f**king hell... not even much of a crier over films but that really got me.

The real story is actually even sadder.

It's well worth having a read about the Von Erichs

Ferrari. What a pile of shite. The trailer made me think was about a strong woman and a talented engineer putting their heads together to create a world beating car company, instead it was a psychodrama about a psychotic ruthless c**t and his pathetic women, sprinkled with corpses.