What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

As for diary of the dead it gets better the more times you see it real grower

Have you seen the British equivalent? Not obviously as high budget or anything like that, but quite entertaining.

You'll get it second hand for less than £3 on Play.com or Amazon.co.uk. Not great or anything, but worth a watch, it's called "The Zombie Diaries".

yeah i have seen the zombie diaries it was madde near where i live funnily enough. it is hugely cheap and looks it. however i did enjoy it. the people involved cared about something enough to get off their arse and make the thing and then got it distributed so fair play to them.

Psycho II (1983)

I thought this would be terrible, but it was a very clever way to bring the Norman Bates character back 23 years after the 1960 classic.

The use of the little twists to make you not sure as to who was behind Norman's insanity were well put together, and although I thought I figured it out it took a while before it could ever be truly confirmed. But the eventual double bluff was delivered perfectly, especially when he starts playing the calm face of normality whilst being completely insane. With a final double bluff throwing your sanity into question!

Brilliant, very surprising, sequel - for me as there was several side stories it was even better than the original, although the unnecessary religious imagery towards the end was ludicrous!

8/10

Sen To Chihiro No Kamikakushi (released here as Spirited Away, which kind of misses the point of the title) is the most widely known, and arguably the most beautiful of the Miyazaki directed Ghibli films. I loved every second of it. I thoroughly recommend Grave of the Fireflies. It's one hell of a weepy, but evidence of the power of Ghibli animation.

Most of them are great. Pompoco is good, Laputa is great, Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind is brilliant. Princess Mononoke is very into Shinto mythology. Not as keen on Kiki's Delivery Service, personally. There's an interlinked one about The Cat In The Hat or something which is another kiddy one, but entertaining.

When I lived in Tokyo, I visited the Ghibli museum, where instead of an entry ticket they give you a piece of the original film from Spirited away.

That's fantastic. I'd love to visit Tokyo.

My collection of all eighteen of the films came today. Some of them don't say English at the back for the languages, but they should all have subtitles, so I should be okay. Looking forward to a lot of them. I'll start from number one, and your main recommendation, Grave of the Fireflies.

The Prestige

I must admit that I wasn't feeling it until near the end. The twist, or prestige to use the jargon, was truly brilliant and one that I doubt many saw coming. Not a fan of the way the story was put together though, with it jumping through the timestream and it not being chronological. But Chris Nolan proves again that he knows how to make a film.

8/10.

And Bale's accent was horrendous.

The Prestige

I must admit that I wasn't feeling it until near the end. The twist, or prestige to use the jargon, was truly brilliant and one that I doubt many saw coming. Not a fan of the way the story was put together though, with it jumping through the timestream and it not being chronological. But Chris Nolan proves again that he knows how to make a film.

8/10.

And Bale's accent was horrendous.

yeah i agree! bale is a fine actor, but yeah that accent was turgid.but enjoyed it. just watched the boat that rocked, great music and a great laugh

Psycho II (1983)

I thought this would be terrible, but it was a very clever way to bring the Norman Bates character back 23 years after the 1960 classic.

The use of the little twists to make you not sure as to who was behind Norman's insanity were well put together, and although I thought I figured it out it took a while before it could ever be truly confirmed. But the eventual double bluff was delivered perfectly, especially when he starts playing the calm face of normality whilst being completely insane. With a final double bluff throwing your sanity into question!

Brilliant, very surprising, sequel - for me as there was several side stories it was even better than the original, although the unnecessary religious imagery towards the end was ludicrous!

8/10

"Are you sure you wouldn't like a toasted cheese sandwich?" or words to that effect.

Haven't seen it for a long time but that's a superb film. The fact they were able to use the original set and the way it has aged helped a great deal. And to have made a sequel to an all-time classic and pulled it off is highly commendable. You can't help but feel sympathy for Norman Bates as he tries to get on with life. Pity they didn't leave it at the two films but that's never the way when someone thinks they can squeeze more money out.

Sen To Chihiro No Kamikakushi (released here as Spirited Away, which kind of misses the point of the title) is the most widely known, and arguably the most beautiful of the Miyazaki directed Ghibli films. I loved every second of it. I thoroughly recommend Grave of the Fireflies. It's one hell of a weepy, but evidence of the power of Ghibli animation.

Most of them are great. Pompoco is good, Laputa is great, Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind is brilliant. Princess Mononoke is very into Shinto mythology. Not as keen on Kiki's Delivery Service, personally. There's an interlinked one about The Cat In The Hat or something which is another kiddy one, but entertaining.

When I lived in Tokyo, I visited the Ghibli museum, where instead of an entry ticket they give you a piece of the original film from Spirited away.

Laputa Castle in the Sky, Porco Rososo, Kiki's Delivery Service, Howls Moving Castle are some of the best animated films ever made. No need for Disney when you could watch these instead. I've seen Grave of Fireflies, it is one of the most depressing films ever made, even more baffling when its sister film is My Neighbour Totoro. I heard about the Ghibli museum before, do you not need to book well in advance?

Black Swan

I'm a fan of Darren Aronofsy but I was worried this would be too much like Requiem For A Dream meets The Wrestler. And it kind of is. It's way more melodramatic than I was expecting and I had wrongly assumed it would be a bit more grounded in reality. I suspect that anyone going to see it for the ballet will be more than slightly shocked at the more visceral moments and the sudden scares. By no means his best film but enjoyable all the same.

7.5/10

Is the Aviator any good? I bought it ages ago and I'm considering watching it today.

I haven't seen it all the way through, but from what I saw of it, I would recommend it. I've said it before and I'll damn well say it again, Di Caprio is a tremendous actor.

I have a few films to go through this month:

Following (DVD)

Local Hero (DVD)

Dr Strangelove or : How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (DVD)

Black Swan (Cinema)

The Fighter (Cinema)

Neds (Cinema)

Brighton Rock (Cinema)

I also ordered the Professor Layton film :ph34r:

Edited by yoda

I haven't seen it all the way through, but from what I saw of it, I would recommend it. I've said it before and I'll damn well say it again, Di Caprio is a tremendous actor.

I have a few films to go through this month:

Following (DVD)

Local Hero (DVD)

Dr Strangelove or : How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (DVD)

Black Swan (Cinema)

The Fighter (Cinema)

Neds (Cinema)

Brighton Rock (Cinema)

I also ordered the Professor Layton film :ph34r:

Thanks, it's between that or the Negotiator.

He is indeed, probably the best actor in the world.

I've got a load of DVD's to watch too, it's a pain!

Aye, I want to see the first two of those too, not heard much about the other two.