What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

J. Edgar got a panning in The Guardian, but Coriolanus was well received by them.

It would appear that I'm the only one of my peer group that has a desire to go and see Shame :lol: I can't think of a more awkward film to go and see on your own.

Ah aye that was one of the other ones I fancied, Fassbender is probably my favorite actor at the minute, looking forward to seeing him in At Swim Two Birds if it ever gets released. Think I'll wait for the DVD release though :ph34r::P

Sherlock Holmes

I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. You knew how it was going to end but I still liked it.

7/10

The Fighter

It was ok. Wahlberg is a very one dimensional actor but Bale was outstanding. He carried the film.

5/10

Source Code

Didn't like the concept but I got sucked in at the end and I really didn't think I would!

6/10

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

A quite extraordinary film. Thoroughly enjoyable and both Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck are excellent, two brilliant performances from them. The music is great - it fits perfectly and enhances the viewing experience - and although I'm not one to marvel at the cinematography, this film is visually stunning - it's beautiful to look at.

My only complaint would be that a couple of the side stories don't bring anything to the film and I grew quite impatient with them. Other than that, I really enjoyed it. I'm surprised to see the scores for it on sites such as Metacritic, Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB, they are fairly low IMO.

8/10 almost a 9/10

Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes

Fantastic. I never watched the first one as it just didn't appeal to me at all but this one looked like something a bit different and it didn't disappoint. The visula effects are stunning, the apes look incredibly real and the main ape Ceasar is portrayed brilliantly by Andy Sekis who seems to be the go to guy when you need someone to act in a CGI role and quite rightly so.

I really enjoyed this film even although it's not really the kind of movie I'd normally watch.

8/10

Indeed, he never gives a bad performance.

I disagree. I thought he was awful in The Beach, but then that whole film was shit. Despite the general reviews, I also didn't think that much of him in Titanic.

Still, the good performances outweigh the bad performances.

I disagree. I thought he was awful in The Beach, but then that whole film was shit. Despite the general reviews, I also didn't think that much of him in Titanic.

Still, the good performances outweigh the bad performances.

Both badly scripted sentimental nonsense though...

Since The Beach, all of his performances have been excellent :P

Edited by Mr. Brightside

FWIW I think Di Caprio's one of the finest actors of his generation. He was just a pretty face for Titanic but the role was hardly challenging! I quite liked The Beach but again it didn't demand much of his abilities.

Truly great performances in What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Catch Me If You Can, The Departed, Blood Diamond and my personal favourite, The Aviator. And he's not even 40 yet (probably the prime of most of the great actors), so I really hope he can compete with Dujardin and Clooney for a golden man in a month's time, very much expect to see his name on Tuesday, anyway.

Both badly scripted sentimental nonsense though...

Since The Beach, all of his performances have been excellent :P

Yeah he's matured, thankfully. Although I thought he did a decent job in Romeo + Juliet. Not a good film but he wasn't bad. I was quite surprised to learn that he's still not 40 yet (I suppose, neither is Bale). Both seem to have been around for a very long time, and it's strange when the "new, up and coming" actors are at similar ages to them.

Blood Diamond is shit, DiCaprio is alright in it but it's a pish film IMO.

Watched a couple recently.

Fargo - decent enough flick. I can't take that Canadian accent seriously though. Macy and Buscemi were good in it. A solid 6/10.

Snatch - loved it. Pitt was fucking amazing in this, as was Vinnie Jones (Guy Ritchie knows how to use him). Stratham was alright and the story was pretty good. It was a lot of fun. 8/10.

Rewatched Network and No Country For Old Men.

Network is still great. Howard Beale was being crazy on tv while Charlie Sheen was still a punk kid in Nam. Robert DuVall is fantastic as always in it. 8/10.

I was slightly critical of No Country For Old Men after my first time of watching it, can't remember the score(too lazy to check back but I'd wager around a 5 or 6). Better the second time around. Javier Bardem is well worth his oscar, absolutely fantastic character. The scene with the shopkeeper near the start is great, so scary. I still think it's overrated but it's a decent 7/10.

Over the next two Saturday's I'm going to go through the Rocky boxset I got on Blu Ray for Christmas. I already know how every film rates for me.

Rocky I - 9/10

Rocky II - 9/10

Rocky III - 7/10

Rocky IV - 8/10

Rocky V - 5/10

Rocky Balboa - 7/10

All in all a fantastic series of films even if the fifth installment was a huge letdown and even Stallone admitted he only did it through greed.

Fargo wasn't feckin set in Canada, though I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the poster and hope they were trolling. It's set in Minnesota, the heart of Viking country where every second village is packed with Scandahoovians. The accents are meant to be American/Swedish, how accurate it is I couldn't say as my best guess would be the chef from the muppet show.

The last film I watched, for the umpteenth time, and one of the best was American History X. Superb movie. Edwards Norton & Furlong are excellent as the siblings, Stacey Keach makes a fiendish villain as the chickenhawk Nazi and there are impressive supporting roles from Beverly D'Angelo & Elliot Gould.