What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

@ magee84 and pub car king

Thought Senna was a stunning watch as well, and even though your both not big motorsport fans by the sounds of it, can I recommend Closer To The Edge, the documentary on the Isle of Man TT race.

Simply looks at 4/5 riders over the 2010 TT event and some of the footage is just drop dead gorgeous. Even if you have no idea about the Isle of Man TT beforehand, you'll have an urge to go over the following year (I'm heading over this year, partly on the back of the film/documentary but also on the fact I've always wanted to do.)

I would also recommend this. I don't have a great interest in motorbikes, but my stepdad does and it was a really entertaining watch. It's quite funny in places and some of the shots are amazing. I actually enjoyed it more than Senna, despite having a greater interest in F1 than motorbike racing.

Few to mention:

Hangover 2

Pish. Predicable rubbish!

2/10

American Pyscho

Once again Bale is fantastic and plays the part very well. Bateman's insanity is great to watch.

7.5/10

The Social Network

Didn't think I would enjoy it but I really did. It was a compelling watch and not knowing, or caring, about the real life events aided the enjoyment.

7/10

Hustle and Flow (2005)

I'm a big fan of Terrence Howard(Crash). Plays a small time pimp from the dirty south, who aspires to make it as a hip-hop recording artist. Dealing with his daily struggles & the lifestyles of his group of friends & adopted family members. A feel good film, with some good characters.

7.5/10

Unknown (2011)

Liam Neeson does what Liam Neeson does best. Save the day despite it being physically impossible for him to do so.

This time he finds himself suffering from amnesia after a car crash, and has to find out was happened as his world crashes down around him.

Great film made surprisingly by the guy who made House of Wax and Goal 2!

It was fairly stressful for me to watch as I was in a coma for the same amount of time (four days) and also have amnesia related to it.

8/10

Wanted. 9/10

Sky + this film on ITV a few weeks ago not expecting to evervwatch it. So glad I did though, brilliant fight scenes, intriguing storyline. McAvoy a treat

Edited by heedthebaa

As part of the extreme season on film four I watched "love exposure" a four hour long Japanese film that drew me in and kept me there for the whole four hours. Dark in bits and propper lol funny in others.

8/10

Slowly downloading 'The Anderson Platoon'' after reading about Pierre Schoendoerffers death recently (director).

documentary about Vietnam from 1965. Really want to see the 'predesessor' 317th section about the French in Indochina in the 50's.

Has anybody seen either?

Nope, but try Hearts And Minds

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0071604

The Hunger Games. Honestly folks, 10/10.

Best film ive seen in a long long time. Ignorantly i hadnt read the first book but will be purchasing the final two chapters today.

If your thinking, it look like some teeny drama. Far from it.

Moneyball

I've seen some belting films of late and this one might well top the lot. Based on a true story, Brad Pitt as Oakland Athletics general manager, attempts to improve his teams fortunes on one of the smallest budgets, with some unconventional/inspired moves. Engrossing and hugely enjoyable. 9/10

The Cottage

At the other end of the scale is this British horror/comedy, which forgets to be either. It goes off at tangents and totally wastes what appears at first a decent concept. 2/10

Edited by stewie from paris

The Hunger Games. Honestly folks, 10/10.

Best film ive seen in a long long time. Ignorantly i hadnt read the first book but will be purchasing the final two chapters today.

If your thinking, it look like some teeny drama. Far from it.

I'll be going to see it, but it just looks like a total rip-off of Battle Royale.

I'll be going to see it, but it just looks like a total rip-off of Battle Royale.

More along the lines of Lord of the Flies. See what you think but its certainly the best ive seen at the cinemas in a long time.

21 Jump Street

A film i would have most likely avoided at all costs, until i started to read some very positive reviews about it.

It's never going to be a movie that you'll take anything away from it, but for what it is, a comedy then it certainly hit all the right notes.

It's also the first film i've seen that has really tackled the whole ' Nerds are cool these days ' thing that goes on and how you think to yourself " If only i was in school now, i'd have been a much cooler person " and it handles it excellently.

Some genuinely laugh out loud moments, along with some very smart ways of having 80's stereotypes (it's based on a TV show from the 80's) in the movie, but doing it in a way so it's laughing at them, without spoofing it.

For me it's the best comedy i've seen in years, and as so i'm going to judge it as a comedy and not on the same scale that i would judge other types of movies.

8.5/10

I read an article where the author of the books said she'd never even heard of Battle Royale until she handed in the manuscript for the first book and she was told by whoever not to watch them.

More along the lines of Lord of the Flies. See what you think but its certainly the best ive seen at the cinemas in a long time.

Lord of the Flies is children fighting due to madness, they weren't forced to fight each other.

Battle royal is a bloody brilliant film, if The Hunger Games is anywhere near as good fun to watch, it will be good in my books. Plus it has Woody Harleson in it.

Yes thanks for the synopsis.

So then why did you say it was more like that than Battle Royale when Hunger Games and Battle Royale are children who are chosen to fight and made to fight each other or die whereas Lord of the Flies they get stranded and turn on each other.

Battle royal is a bloody brilliant film, if The Hunger Games is anywhere near as good fun to watch, it will be good in my books. Plus it has Woody Harleson in it.

I didn't realise Harrelson was in it. Stanley Tucci and Elizabeth Banks are in it too. It's a 12a though, as opposed to the 18 rating for BR.