What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Dredd 9/10

Watched this last night, it was fucking brilliant, thrilling and beautiful.

One of the few films ive seen at cinema that 3d actually helped the film. The slowmo sequences were brillant especially the shootout

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Despicable Me 2. Eldest son chose it as a reward so the whole family went along and all of us thought it was great. Very funny movie. I find animated movies much funnier than real movies nowadays.

Went to see that last night. I probably ruined the film for the children around me with my never ending laughing fits, but f**k it. Was hilarious

The Wolverine - 0/10. Went and saw this on Thursday night. To be fair, I was absolutely steaming, but I thought it was just awful. Never been so bored in the cinema. Would have left 30 minutes into it, but my legs wouldn't work.

This is the end

Really enjoyed this, just a nonsensical romp straight from a stoners mind, with actors sending themselves up and having a great time but the looks of it. Michael Cera cameo was outstanding, was almost in tears a some points. so glad I finally got round to seeing this 8/10

Courage Under Fire - 6/10.

Very meh, had hoped for a lot better from this and while it was good it wasn't brilliant at all. Some great performances from Matt Damon and Meg Ryan but apart from that I wasn't drawn into it like I should be with a Denzel movie.

The World's End - 7/10

Going to go against the grain here and say i really enjoyed The Worlds End. "Windoor" had me in fits.

Also liked "Shut up you big lamp" I don't know why it just cracked me up.

Edited by Christophe

Got bored last night so ended up watching Expendables 2, no surprises or shocks in this one, everything that moves gets shot and acting pretty wooden throughout

Kudos for Chuck Norris doing his bit tho did make me chuckle

5/10

Watched V/H/S last night. Interesting concept and on the whole I think it worked quite well. Some parts were a bit shit but I enjoyed it. Intrigued to see the sequel now.

7/10

I thought it was hit and miss. The sequel really is magnificent though. And it has the added bonus of a hilariously tongue in cheek segment.

Watched Only God Forgives last night. I could see what they were trying to do, but found it tried too hard to be arty. Too many attempts to build tension by having dramatic music, dark lighting and little or no dialogue.

Into The Wild

Probably Sean Penn's most famous work as a director, it tells the true story of Christopher McCandless, a wealthy college graduate who abandoned his affluent life and promising future to live in the wilderness of Alaska, under the dodgy pseudonym Alexander Supertramp.

The film stars many great actors, including William Hurt and Marcia Gay Harden as the main character's conservative mother and father, and Penn brings out the best in each one of them. Emile Hirsch gives a fine performance in the lead role; it didn't demand much range and the character isn't 100% sympathetic but Hirsch's acting was an honest reflection of that. Catherine Keener, Hal Holbrook and Vince Vaughn play just a few of the interesting people Alex meets along the way; each character has a lasting impression on both Alex and (hopefully) the viewer, and not in a forced way, they're portrayed very naturally and honestly.

The film tells a real story and does Christopher/Alex's journey justice as a biography, but it also goes a lot deeper and asks questions about ourselves, which I liked. On top of all that deep stuff it's a drama and an adventure, with a good soundtrack to boot.

7/10, will watch again.

Edited by Albino Rover

Synedoche, New York - 7/10

amazing film, i read an interpretation that he commits suicide at the beginning and the entire film is the consciousness of a dying man with a brain injury.

..lots of allusions to silk as blood,pillows etc

I liked how her flower tatoos were dying as she was, and the house that was permanently on fire. I thought it was going to be a laborious Kramer vs Kramer like study of a relationship in decline, then it just rocketed off to somewhere else.

f**k, I just remembered the seizure he has when he hears the bad news....intense. Such good acting, it's basically a guy making himself shake but it looked real. My favourite bits were the multiple versions of Caden, I think there were 4 by the end, and .. let's be honest here, the sheer number of tits in the film.

Edited by Christophe

In The Name Of The Father

To follow up his against-all-odds hit My Left Foot, Jim Sheridan decided to make this important political drama, about the plight of the Guildford Four who were tortured and imprisoned by the British government. Daniel Day-Lewis rejoined Sheridan to play the film's persecuted protagonist, Gerry Conlon, with the main cast completed by Pete Postlethwaite as his father, Giuseppe, and Emma Thompson as Gareth Pierce, the Conlons' defence lawyer. All three of them absolutely nail their roles and the acting talent doesn't stop there: many recognisable actors including Corin Redgrave, Philip Davis, Gerard McSorley, Jer O'Leary, Frank Harper, Don Baker, Paterson Joseph and Tom Wilkinson contribute excellently, with John Lynch, Beatie Edney and Mark Sheppard superbly making up the innocent four.

But it's not just an acting show, in fact far from it. It begins with the "good times" after reckless Ulsterman Gerry leaves war zone '70s Belfast for London and becomes a hippy. The change of location seems to do him the world of good but the Guildford bombing changes everything, turns the whole film on its head, and the story turns into a full-on nightmare.

Arrested and imprisoned as scapegoats, Gerry and a number of innocent others are portrayed by the government to the public as terrorists, without right of reply, and it's only when Mrs. Pierce comes to Giuseppe that there's a glimmer of hope for justice to be done and the British government to be brought to shame.

Political messages aside, it also serves as a brilliant portrayal of growing up, conflicting loyalties and father-son relationships. Those themes, particularly that last one, are the real heart of the film and the character of Gerry, and I really can't stress how well Day-Lewis and Postlethwaite work together as father and son. Even still, Emma Thompson comes along and steals it- her "case-crack" moment is to die for, and the impassioned speech as she defends Gerry is an absolute showstopper.

Easily my favourite of Sheridan's films. The terms "masterpiece" and "must-see" come to mind.

10/10

Stunning movie right enough.

Panic Room ( 2002 )

This movie has had a hold on me for years. I went to it in the cinema about ten years ago, and it just didn't amuse me. Infact, I left the cinema absolutely fucking raging. Over 10 years later, and I gave it another shot. I'm glad I did. Okay, it's not amazing or anything, but it's quite a good movie this. I have no idea what I was expecting the first time, or what I was hating about it. Some of it is actually quite smart, and it's the entire standoff between the intruders and the family is well played. It goes a bit downhill when others get involved, but keeps the tension quite well.

7/10