What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Cars

This film has a reputation as one of the lesser Pixars, and understandably- firstly, the concept doesn't really stand up to any of the others; although John Lasseter's special interest subjects of cars and small town America are both written and animated very well, it's not as exciting or emotionally involving as just about any other of his works. As per every Pixar film, every character is a creation of genius, right down to the detail of the paintwork and how they move- Doc Hudson is one of the best old has-beens they've ever animated and Mater has got to be my favourite character in the film- they could easily have set the whole thing in Radiator Springs with him as the main character, and I'd have loved it.

Lightning McQueen, though, didn't do it for me as the film's protagonist, and although he definitely changes for the better as he meets his new friends, I never felt as attached to him as the best heroes, so much that rather than rooting for him I found I just wanted Chick Hicks not to win. Therein lies the moral message of the film though, that winning isn't the most important thing.

Every Pixar fan, which is to say everyone, should give this film a watch (I can't believe it's taken me 7 years to get round to it) but don't get your hopes up too much; it's a fun ride but a forgettable one, it didn't stay with me like Toy Story or Wall-E.

6/10

From Up On Poppy Hill - 8.5/10

It's sitting on a 7.2 on IMDB and has received a bit of a mixed reaction among some Ghibli fans. I read some pretty unfair criticism. All new Ghibli film will be compared to what has gone before though, and when several of those are absolute classics it's going to be a struggle to live up to expectations. I very much enjoyed it, and while I doubt it history will ever be classed among Ghibli's best you could say it's perhaps the best of the rest. I enjoyed it more than Porco Rosso, Whisper of the Heart and perhaps even Howl's moving Castle. It's not up there with Nausicaa, Spirited Away, Laputa, Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies or Only Yesterday but it's a very enjoyable watch. I very much like the setting of Yokohama in 1963, and the animation is generally fantastic. It's about a group of student's efforts to save their clubhouse which the board want to tear down. It's also about the main character's unusual family life and her love interest. Now the wait for The Wind is Rising's release over here...

ETA. Animation beautiful as is usual for Ghilbi...

tumblr_m60124bUxF1r00g3do1_500.giftumblr_mdv6sxUzng1qehmh1o1_500.giftumblr_ma7q6kseQ61rt479bo1_500.giftumblr_mi6xv2jiaM1rr56cmo1_500.gif

Edited by Enigma

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)

Saw that it was on iPlayer so decided to give it a watch. I really loved it, a fantastic film. Just a shame it's not exactly all that cheerful..

I could have strangled that nurse myself at the end <_<

9/10

Saw only god forgives last night, seem to really want to focus on the cinematography with a real lack of dialogue and alot of playing with actions rather than words. Have to say it was pretty messed up, there was no real connection with any of the characters, Gosling in particular seemed to revert to his emotionless Drive character with no explaination as to why

I can understand what they were trying to do but from a storytelling point of view it was pretty poor, saying that my mate I was with loved it so guess I can understand why it splits opinion

The music for the fight sequence was just shocking, it was like something out of Streets of Rage. Some of the dialogue that they did use (espically Kristen Scott Thomas) was just bizzare as well as the relationship between her and Gosling's character bordered on uncomfortable and hinted at more. Just a total mish mash of things and I didnt realise it was a Thai custom to do karoake after butchering someone, who knew

5/10

The World's End

What should have been an enjoyable end to a set of films i've loved (along with Spaced) ruined by the introduction of Rosamund Pike and the wife asking "Has she got a bit of a funny eye?"

After that it's pretty much all i could focus on every time she appeared on screen.

Ruined!

The World's End

What should have been an enjoyable end to a set of films i've loved (along with Spaced) ruined by the introduction of Rosamund Pike and the wife asking "Has she got a bit of a funny eye?"

After that it's pretty much all i could focus on every time she appeared on screen.

Ruined!

Things like that are infuriating. Worst for me is when you realise that the words coming out the words of the actors don't quite sync up properly, destroys the film

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)

Saw that it was on iPlayer so decided to give it a watch. I really loved it, a fantastic film. Just a shame it's not exactly all that cheerful..

I could have strangled that nurse myself at the end <_< 

9/10

Fcuking fantastic film.

"do ya want me to take a shit in the corner?!" great kine! ;-)

Lemming 8.5/10

Tremendous psychological French thriller starring Charlotte Gainsbourg, Charlotte Rampling and dome dude. Gripping and involving plot but also stylish and sexy and actually has a nice undercurrent of humour and farce so it's not too po faced as some French films can be. Yeah, riveting stuff.

Was on a long haul flight recently so watched a few films I wouldn't have seen otherwise.

GI Joe: Retaliation. 0/10. Even worse than I thought was possible. No redeeming features.

Olympus Has Fallen. 4/10. A brainless action flick with pretty much zero plot. The action is quite well done but there's little else to say about it.

Jack The Giant Slayer. 6/10. I'm not really the target audience for this, but it got a few laughs from me. Watch it with your kids, they'll like it.

The Heat - 2/10 - really shit plot and tried too hard to be funny.

Red 2 - 5/10 - so-so - plot was nonsensical and Hopkins ( as he is prone to do these days) overacting - some good action scenes - Malkovich had the best lines.

Sent from my KIS using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Jack The Giant Slayer. 6/10. I'm not really the target audience for this, but it got a few laughs from me. Watch it with your kids, they'll like it.

Wife and I hired this on Virgin - switched off after 20 minutes - one of the worst fantasy films since Eragon - a big steaming pile of dog poo.

Sent from my KIS using Pie & Bovril mobile app

The Conjuring: 7/10

Essentially, it's just the same as Insidious. Same cast (just about), same plot (just about), same horribly frightening soundtrack (exactly the same). I really enjoyed it, went with a few pals and had a good laugh at each other freaking out. The film itself is quite decent, but it's not a classic. Like Insidious, it's just easy scares. The volume is turned up extremely loud, and things jump out on screen. The story itself isn't exactly frightening. I'm not sure if that's down to poor direction, or just an over-exposure to all things scary; It's probably a lot harder to frighten somebody these days than 30 years ago. I'd definitely recommend the film though.

The World's End

Disappointed in this tbh. It was funny in parts don't get me wrong, just not often enough.

4/10

They realy should have cut the last 5 mins of the film...woeful ending.

Also, annoyed me how pished they were until a fight scene started and they suddenly turned into f*cking experts, it would have been a lot funnier had they been sloppy drunk fighting, even if they were doing all these cool moves in their heads and then it cut to them making an arse of it.

and lastly "Oh crumbs" - Oh f*ck off.