What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Tesis - Spanish film about a film student searching for violent movies to help with her final paper. When her college professor dies, she discovers what appears to be a snuff movie in his possession, and sets out to investigate its provenance.

That probably makes the film sound a lot more interesting than it actually is; Tesis is a fairly dull whodunnit with a very small selection of characters to choose from. Could just be me, but one had villain written all over them from their first scene. It doesn't really feel like there's enough going on in the running time, so I found it difficult to stay interested. Curiously unengaging.

Calvary- 7.5/10. Quite enjoyed this, well, enjoyed is maybe the wrong word. Brendan Gleeson and Chris O'Dowd are great in it.

The Armstrong Lie 7/10. What a guy. He comes across as totally remorseless about the whole thing, verging on psychopathic really.

Under The Skin

This was my most anticipated film of 2014 so I may be slightly biased but I did try and watch it as objectively as possible.

A highly ambitious "experimental" film, and for that it deserves some credit. Jonathan Glazer has some balls on him. It's probably cliched to say that this film channels obvious influences from Kubrick, Lynch, and Roeg, but it's a cliche I'm using.

Scarlett Johansson puts in a brilliant performance - there's little dialogue so the emphasis is on her "physical" acting - and I doubt she'll ever put in a better performance in her career. The films requires a strong central performance and she delivers that.

The film is well shot and the special effects are brilliantly done. The score is just wonderful, along with Johansson it really brings the film up another level. As far as content goes, there's a number of interesting themes flowing through the film, and there's some unsettling moments - particularly one scene on a pebble beach.

The film isn't without flaws. Its ambition is high and some parts fall short, whilst other parts don't really fit together in a coherent manner. It is slow and I appreciate that many people might get bored or find it near impossible to finish. I was totally engrossed by it.

A future cult classic for sure. Further viewings are required for me to fully appreciate it, as I'm still mulling over certain parts in my head (and not just that scene). I'm not convinced it's a "masterpiece" but it's not, IMO, a flop.

A

P.S. - Scarlett Johansson gets her kit off. Even if you find it dull, stick with it. It's rewarding :wub:

P.P.S. - I'm mature enough to appreciate the film without giving it extra marks because of Scarlett Johansson's chebs.

Edited by yoda

Watched Despicable Me, Despicable Me 2, Brick and Her over the past few days. The two Despicable Me films were quality, the second one being better IMO, but they're going to be classic kids films in a few years. Brick was very well written and I enjoyed the story, with a few decent twists and turns. I liked the old detective style of it all. Her was an incredible concept and although people are inevitably going to label it 'hipster' and 'pretentious', I thought it was really good film.

Tombstone

One of my favourite Westerns, brilliantly cast and far superior to the Wyatt Earp film Kevin Costner put out at the same time. The right blend of humour, violence and a decent storyline.

Val Kilmer steals the show as an ailing but hilarious Doc Holiday, "I'm your huckleberry"

9/10

Tombstone

One of my favourite Westerns, brilliantly cast and far superior to the Wyatt Earp film Kevin Costner put out at the same time. The right blend of humour, violence and a decent storyline.

Val Kilmer steals the show as an ailing but hilarious Doc Holiday, "I'm your huckleberry"

9/10

Agreed, one of my favourite films

Nymphomaniac Volumes I and II.

Lars von Trier really doesn't do 'normal' films.

Certainly far too long, clocking in at over four hours, and found the ending to be totally unnecessary. However, it undoubtedly had plenty of redeeming features (brilliant performances from Shia LaBeouf, Charlotte Gainsbourg and Stacy Martin).

E.T.A. Also includes a brief, but powerful, performance from Uma Thurman, which is worthy of a mention.

Edited by FifeSons

Watched Despicable Me, Despicable Me 2, Brick and Her over the past few days. The two Despicable Me films were quality, the second one being better IMO, but they're going to be classic kids films in a few years. Brick was very well written and I enjoyed the story, with a few decent twists and turns. I liked the old detective style of it all. Her was an incredible concept and although people are inevitably going to label it 'hipster' and 'pretentious', I thought it was really good film.

I'm a massive fan of the Despicable Me films, feel a bit silly saying that being 23 but f**k it :lol:

Nah. They're excellent movies. Minions should also be amazing. Picked out a couple of movies to watch which I've heard lots about. Heat ( 1995 ) and Spirited Away ( 2001 ). Aye, they're both 10/10. I especially loved Heat. Not a wasted second in a near three hour running time.

Chronicle - a group of *cough* "teens" discover a mysterious object buried underground and develop superpowers after touching it.

This is much better than I expected from the trailer. It's another found-footage movie, although it really stretches the concept. However, it's interesting enough that it's easy to allow yourself to forget how silly it is that everything has been caught on camera.

The film concentrates on how the newfound powers affect the 'kids' (seriously, the actors are in their mid-twenties) lives, and surprisingly turns into a little bit of an action-packed effects showcase in the final third.

Not bad; just don't expect the earth.

Grindhouse - after a hankering for Planet Terror, I figured I'd finally get ahold of the original cinema version of it and Death Proof, complete with spoof trailers. And well worth the effort it was too.

The double-bill kicks off with the original Machete trailer, and it's surprising how much of the trailer Robert Rodriguez managed to include in the actual film. Planet Terror is next, which is a pastiche of '80s zombie movies, and quite a decent one at that. I didn't notice any differences between this and the longer version originally released on DVD, which surprised me as changes normally stick out like a sore thumb to me. The fact that this version has the same effect in a shorter running time probably makes this the superior version.

Next up is a gaggle of spoof trailers from the likes of Rob Zombie, Eli Roth and Edgar Wright, and a lot of fun they are too. Prepare for brief cameos a-go-go. First time I'd seen them, and they were worth waiting for.

We end on Death Proof, Quentin Tarantino's car-stravaganza starring Kurt Russell as a lunatic with a penchant for killing women in car crashes. And this is a film that benefits hugely from a much shorter running time than the original DVD release, although some may miss Vanessa Ferlito's lapdance scene. Tarantino's trademark long dialogue scenes fall very flat here, with uninteresting chat from some annoying characters, some of which comes across as the work of someone trying too hard to do Tarantino's style.

Thankfully, there are more entertaining elements mixed in, with a particularly gruesome head-on collision and climactic chase scene providing plenty of entertainment. Still kind of mystifying why Tarantino's segment got more plaudits from the critics though.

i am groot

A young boy is kidnapped by an alien spacecraft after his mother dies from a terminal illness. Decades later, he finds himself thrown together with a rag-tag band of rogues in order to save the galaxy from destruction. What a load of fun this was! It's a CG-heavy masterclass, with a total refusal to take itself seriously. I've no idea how Marvel keep producing films of this quality, but long may it continue. Just go see it, for Christ's sake, and do so in the cinema. Oh, and Zoe Saldana's ass! :wub:

I'm a massive fan of the Despicable Me films, feel a bit silly saying that being 23 but f**k it :lol:

Anyone that mocks adult fans of the Despicable Me films is a massive c**t and worthy of pity. Gaun yersel, son!