What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Martyrs is a quality film too, IMO. Disagree with the negatives on Srpski Film and Irreversible; all three were very successful at what they set out to do, assuming that was to make the viewer's skin crawl. Worked for me, but I guess not for everyone.

Jesus Christ, did they work for me :o

The entire trilogy is well worth watching even if it does drop in quality as it goes on. Three relatively solid crime thrillers.

Thanks for recommending the other two. Wouldn't have bothered otherwise because sequals or so often pish. Couldn't disagree more that they drop in quality though.

Would go:

Pusher 2: 8.5

1 and 3: 8

Quite an achievement to keep a trilogy that consistent. Really thought the second was an excellent film. Mikkelson was absolutely sensational.

I think Irreversible is one of the most morally bankrupt films I've ever seen. Repulsive, and not in any kind if artistic way.

I don't even know what I think about Gaspar Noe's films. I can hardly say I enjoy them but as others have said, they stay with you and have an impact. His argument with Irreversible is that films which feaure rape in a sanitiised, easily watchable way, are morally bankrupt. I can sort of see his point, that scene is absolutely horrific but isn't that actually the correct way to deal with it?

The whole gay club thing where they're all portrayed like a bunch of demonic beasts is extremely dodgy though. Especially when the lad's getting his face smashed and everyone just enjoys it. Alllllltighty then.

Apparently Gaspar Noe had a lot of low-frequency sound included on Irreversible's soundtrack to make the audience feel nauseous. Worked pretty well IMO.

Was that definitely Irreversibe and not Enter The Void? I hadn't heard this story but there was something about ETV that just made me feel a bit feint and queasy the whole time. Would certainly make sense to me if he used it there.

Edited by SodjesSixteenIncher

I don't even know what I think about Gaspar Noe's films. I can hardly say I enjoy them but as others have said, they stay with you and have an impact. His argument with Irreversible is that films which feaure rape in a sanitiised, easily watchable way, are morally bankrupt. I can sort of see his point, that scene is absolutely horrific but isn't that actually the correct way to deal with it?

The whole gay club thing where they're all portrayed like a bunch of demonic beasts is extremely dodgy though. Especially when the lad's getting his face smashed and everyone just enjoys it. Alllllltighty then.

Right enough; it's been years since I've seen it, so I'd forgotten. WTF was that all about? :unsure:

Was that definitely Irreversibe and not Enter The Void? I hadn't heard this story but there was something about ETV that just made me feel a bit feint and queasy the whole time. Would certainly make sense to me if he used it there.

Apparently so; just checked the IMDB, and he used it during the opening half-hour. If it worked once, it wouldn't surprise me if he tried it again.

I need to check out more of his films, actually. I think the only other one I've seen is Sodomites, which did exactly what it said on the tin.

Ah, well whatever he did on Enter The Void, I felt like I'd had some of that acid or whatever it was the boy takes at the start.

If you want to watch more, I'd "recommend" I Stand Alone. Same thing as with Irreversible, totally gripped watching it, had it on my mind for days but still don't know if I loved or hated it.

I think Irreversible is one of the most morally bankrupt films I've ever seen. Repulsive, and not in any kind if artistic way.

I agree with this. It's made to shock and it's actually unwatchable at times.

I agree with this. It's made to shock and it's actually unwatchable at times.

Just found a stream with subtitles in Polish I think so wasn't going to watch 93 minutes of that. Dipped in a few times through and looked pretty unwatchable in a pish sort of way. What did I miss ??????????

Just found a stream with subtitles in Polish I think so wasn't going to watch 93 minutes of that. Dipped in a few times through and looked pretty unwatchable in a pish sort of way. What did I miss ??????????

It's not the kind of thing you can dip in and out of; you need to give it your full attention for the running time. Preferably on your own, in the dark. It's depressing as hell, and parts of it are very difficult to watch. Give it a miss if you don't like feeling like crap after watching a film.

Resident Evil: Degeneration - for anyone who has played the video games, there's little point in summing up the plot. This plays very much like somebody took the cut scenes from one of the games and stitched them together - every beat of the plot feels very familiar, and the CG is of a similar quality. And it's surprisingly dull, considering how much I enjoyed playing the first three games. Interesting to see how limber the characters are, however - I used to spend my time running around in circles when I played :wacko:

Raising Cain - One of Brian De Palma's wackier entries; John Lithgow is a family man who was psychologically experimented upon as a child by his lunatic father. Lithgow ends up playing a handful of different roles, and his bizarre accents and mugging add to the oddness of the whole affair. A lot of De Palma's familiar themes (like voyeurism) crop up again, and the whole thing's kinda fun, so long as you're not looking for something to take too seriously.

Cabin Fever - Debut feature from Eli Roth (of Hostel fame). A bunch of teens stay in the archetypal cabin in the woods, and are horrified to find that a flesh-eating virus has infected the area.

Upon release, this was advertised as a return to '70s hardcore horror, so I found it a major disappointment. It's an entertaining enough film, but there's an awful lot of goofy hit-and-miss redneck humour throughout, which detracts from the horror elements. Still worth a look, but don't expect a 'proper' horror film.

But hey, Cerina Vincent's boobs :thumsup2

It's on Netflix, if you happen to have an account.

Guardians of the Galaxy

I won't take any points away for that though, because this is spectacular stuff, and that also includes visually, and this a movie that DOES look fairly good in 3D. I can't justify going lower here.

10/10

It looked tremendous in IMAX.

Thanks for recommending the other two. Wouldn't have bothered otherwise because sequals or so often pish. Couldn't disagree more that they drop in quality though.

Would go:

Pusher 2: 8.5

1 and 3: 8

Quite an achievement to keep a trilogy that consistent. Really thought the second was an excellent film. Mikkelson was absolutely sensational.

I quite like the second one but I'm not a big fan of the third. Bleeder is another NWR film featuring Bodnia, Mikkelsen, and Buric. It's quite grim at times but well acted - I've actually never finished it but I've seen the majority of it.

I purchased The Grand Budapest Hotel on blu-ray last week, so I finally got round to watching it today.

Wes Anderson does a war film. A sentence I never really expected to type. This really is a wonderful film and fully deserves all plaudits that it received - a fun, whimsical caper, that owes a great debt to a brilliant performance from Ralph Fiennes. I'm sticking it in my top three Wes Anderson films.

The plot is a bit weak but it's difficult to hold that against this film. It is stunning aesthetically, like all Anderson's films, it just looks really good. I loved the aspect ratio changes and Anderson's use of models.

Saoirse Ronan is just lovely.

Torn between an A or A-

I'm watching Rambo just now. As expected the acting is horrific, the plot is predictable and the violence is unreal! For the violence alone I will give this a 7/10

1 person dies in Rambo, and even that was an accident

You sure you're watching the right film?

Erm... I'm fairly sure they are. It's pretty brutal at times. There's not enough of it to come close to a 7/10 score though. A LOT of the movie does without. I mean a LOT.

Brutal in the way he's treated, but not in a violence sense