What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 7/10

While not as good as the first film, still a pretty decent film. Its quite slow in places, Fantastic visuals but the human characters are pretty one sided and even Gary Oldman cant save that. But this isnt a film about humans, its all about the apes and in that respect its all very well done, some strong characters in Caesars group. An enjoyable film although i would have liked to have seen more about humanity's collapse following from the first film.

Edited by EdgarusQPFC

Boyhood - Read about this quite a while ago and remarked that it would either be a classic or pretentious shite. I think it could potentially be the former. Hawke and Linklater may be some of the best around at developing characters and making films with a foumdation in great, realistic feeling dialogue, imo. Only thing stopping it getting a 10/10 was a couple of scenes that felt a bit forced and cheesy; the Mexican restaurant manager scene, the Hawke character's song about the family, the bit with the teenagers in the abandoned house e.g. 90% of the film, as made possible by the concept/structure, was painfully/beautifully realistic feeling and close the bone. A few dodgy cheesestring scenes takes away from that a bit.

8.5/10

Pusher (1996) - Nicholas Winding Refn's (Drive, Bronson etc) first film, starring a much younger Kim Bodnia of The Bridge and Mads Mikkelson about a low level smack dealer in Copenhagen. Drug deal goes wrong, guy has to find money quick etc etc. Pretty standard stuff storyline wise but still a really excellent thriller, especially given the low production value. If you've not seen The Bridge (well, you fucking should) the guy playing the protaganist Kim Bodnia is a really top actor in my book. Dispite his flaws, he's a really charismatic and likeable character in TB and in this, his character is actually a bit of a shit, but you still really root for him. A very tricky thing to pull off, very decent film.

8/10

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

This is a good blockbuster this one. I think there's a bit of a problem when you're trying to mirror the apes with the humans. Leaves a lot of one dimensional characters. They've worked the series very well so far though, and I'd argue that the main human character had more than one layer, but I'd agree that on the whole, it was all a bit generic with both sides. Koba-angry. Koba-b*****d. Then you have the counterpart human. Caesar has his counterpart human and it's all just a bit like that on the whole, and only Gary Oldman seems to buck the trend, as a guy you really can't seem to pin down for much of the movie. It's a really good movie though for what it is.

8/10

The Purge: Anarchy

Now. THIS is an improvement and a half. The villains are still a touch on the "boo-hiss" side of villainy, but the scope of this movie is much wider, with a lot more elements of the premise being explored. Almost a bit too many little things being touched on, but it shows some sort of ambition to take the series a bit further, and this movie has made me decide I want to see more of them. It's extremely effective when it comes to building up the tension before The Purge starts, and then does a good job of really putting across the barbarity of it all. It was always touched on in the original movie, but seeing it in all of it's glory is fun enough. Quite a decent effort this.

7/10

What's everyone think of Cineworld's allocated seating? Most people I've seen are just ignoring that and the gimmicky star seating fad too. Although I have seen a couple of people arguing about it as well. Daft idea when the Dundee cinema barely sells more than half it's tickets for the biggest of screenings. Sitting people right next to each other rather than spacing it out too is just stupid.

What's everyone think of Cineworld's allocated seating? Most people I've seen are just ignoring that and the gimmicky star seating fad too. Although I have seen a couple of people arguing about it as well. Daft idea when the Dundee cinema barely sells more than half it's tickets for the biggest of screenings. Sitting people right next to each other rather than spacing it out too is just stupid.

The Purge was mobbed yesterday and everyone seemed to be going with the allocated seating.

EDIT: I think it's great to be honest. Means me and my mates can turn up not long before the movie is due to start and expect to be able to be seated together, no matter how busy the movie is.

Edited by NewDomDom

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes

Enjoyed this and it was noticeable how the CGI and motion-capture was so much better than Rise of POTA which I saw on tv last week. OK the story was pretty generic with a mixture of goodies and baddies on both sides but the film kept me interested throughout and a follow up film is surely on the cards.

8/10

I didn't sit in my allocated seat as there were only about 2 dozen people in but I think there could be big problems when a film sells out and people are arguing about what seat they have. I tend to go during the day and avoid first screenings so it's never been more than half full when I've been.

Pusher (1996) - Nicholas Winding Refn's (Drive, Bronson etc) first film, starring a much younger Kim Bodnia of The Bridge and Mads Mikkelson about a low level smack dealer in Copenhagen. Drug deal goes wrong, guy has to find money quick etc etc. Pretty standard stuff storyline wise but still a really excellent thriller, especially given the low production value. If you've not seen The Bridge (well, you fucking should) the guy playing the protaganist Kim Bodnia is a really top actor in my book. Dispite his flaws, he's a really charismatic and likeable character in TB and in this, his character is actually a bit of a shit, but you still really root for him. A very tricky thing to pull off, very decent film.

8/10

The entire trilogy is well worth watching even if it does drop in quality as it goes on. Three relatively solid crime thrillers.

I finally got round to seeing The Wolf Of Wall Street

A wonderfully self-indulgent, vulgar, mess. Put this film in the hands of anyone other than Marty Scorsese and it becomes an incoherent mess - thankfully it was in his more than capable hands and we get a spectacular return to form after the relatively disappointing The Departed and Shutter Island.

Every character in this is awful. There are no nice individuals. Gordon Gekko's "greed is good" speech applies here, but Jordan Belfort and his associates decided to take it to the extreme. There's something almost voyeuristic about TWOWS: there's something appealing about seeing this sort of lifestyle and wanting it but really, none of us mere mortals ever want to be involved, we couldn't cope with it. Some criticised the exploitation and glorification of this excess but I don't have a problem with it. Why show the consequences of this lifestyle when those living it didn't give a shit?

Bar a few questionable green screen backdrops, the film looks terrific. It's classic Scorsese. I - and just about everybody else on this planet - love the character narration segments. The performances are good and solid but not spectacular. Matthew McConaughey's brief appearance is a real highlight.

It's not Scorsese's best, it's not even his second or third best (don't hold that against the film however), but it is a thoroughly fun and enjoyable watch.

A-

Call me old fashioned but I've always preferred allocated seating as that was how all cinemas used to be.

The only adavntage I saw to not allocating seating was that the fannies who come into a movie just as it starts/ just after the off would need to get in earlier to find a decent seat however this never happened and you just got the same twats standing in the aisle trying to peer through the darkness for empty seats which is incredibly distracting.

I'm all for seat allocation as I like to book tickets in advance so I'll rarely end up with a bad seat.

If the theatre is empty by the time the movie starts I have no problem with people sitting where they want though.

Cold in July

This is a good wee movie this. Michael C Hall is a man who shoots down an intruder to his home. What happens from here is best to be found out for yourselves. There's plenty of twists and turns in this one, and it certainly goes down the "gritty" route quite well. All three of the central characters are top drawer as well. All of them keep you thinking in their own ways, and I clearly haven't seen enough Don Johnson, because the guy is fucking glorious in this movie.

It's an unsettling movie at times, and when you get deeper into it, it doesn't get any better in that sense. It's a good 'un though.

8/10

The Purge

Great idea for a film, the idea that crime is legal for a period of time has many posibilities to it, be good to see the angle from a character that wants to be purged ,or some kind of vigilante or something, would make a very good real time tv series (like 24) IMO .

Enjoyed the film, Hawke plays it well as usual and a good twst towards the end, will go and see the sequel soon. 8/10

Just watched Filth as it's just been put on Netflix. Really enjoyed it, pretty fucking strange right enough. Mcavoy absolutely smashes it and i'm not really a fan of his.

8/10

Also just finally caught up with The Wolf of Wall Street (7/10)

An enjoyable portrayal of the cocks that run in the finance industry, if a good half hour too long. McConaughey was fantastic, he's really coming on as a great actor. I generally despise the horrible performances that pass as 'acting' from DiCaprio, but he passed the litmus test here with some good crazed speeches and that hilarious scene where he's totally off his nut trying to get home. Johan Hill excellent playing a proper barmy character.

Style reminded me a lot of Goodfellas, but with a lot more humour. Lots of relevant T&A (T&E?) too, which was refreshing.

The Great Beauty (4/10)

Incredibly tedious Italian movie that won a lot of plaudits. A man reflecting back on his life through various boring and contextless interactions with his memory in different locations in Rome, punctuated by numerous wanky conversations with a series of pretentious characters you couldn't give a fcuk about and seemingly symbolic scenes that offer nothing. Maybe it's a mood film that I'll enjoy more when I randomly revisit in 15 years time.

The points I've given it are for the uplifting and gloriously shot party scenes, most notably the one at the start of the movie. Well worth a download if just to enjoy the opener.

Edited by banana

The allocated seating thing doesn't really work without ushers, as people just sit where they like. Plus, as mentioned elsewhere, the staff have a weird desire to sit everyone in a wee cluster in the middle. Maybe it's so we can all hold hands at the scary bits? :unsure: Not sure why they brought it back, to be honest.

I wouldn't want it brought back, but I used to like intermissions when I was kid. Our local cinema was the only place I'd ever been that sold raspberry cornettos, so I'd nip out for one while the adults were all having a quick pint :P

Does anyone else find the VIP seats at Vue less comfortable than the regular ones? I've only used them twice, but my arse was aching afterwards.

Edit for evil typos.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

The Armstrong Lie 8/10

Should have been LIES plural, amirite! c**t couldn't stop telling lies, looking right into your face and lying, going on the news and lying, lying in court, lying in grand juries, lying to lawyers and UCI officials and the wives of teammates and Oprah Winfrey and the maker of this documentary, the guy just absolutely loves to lie and then shrugs it off and says "everyone else was cheating too, I just cheated the same amount so I'm technically still the best", absolutely deluded oaf of a man. Really good, pretty in-depth, fascinating even.

Thanks for the recommendation - didn't know much of the details until seeing this. Armstrong is a complete sociopath and everyone should be relieved that he ended up working in a relatively meaningless field.

Klute, A Time to Kill and Backdraft are all brilliant movies.

He's also in The Hunger Games, which aren't bad movies at all.

Watching Disclosure at the moment, which reminded me of this. Looking forward to trying the above, but I draw the line at watching The Hunger Games again. I don't get why adults would find them remotely interesting; childish derivative muck, even down to the appalling character names. But each to their own, as ever ;)