What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Under The Skin

Scarlett Johansson plays an alien who goes round Scotland seducing saps. Not one for those who demand a fast-paced, action-packed movie. Be warned/alerted that it contains a good deal of nudity.

Some will love it, some will hate it. I'll put it in the "intriguing" category and give it 7/10.

Drinking Buddies

A guy and his female friend who are very flirty make and drink a lot of beer whilst wrestling with a will they, won't they gey together dilemma.

It's actually fairly enjoyable although very little happens. It's a proper 'Indie' film (think Juno or Garden State) with some decent performances from Olivia Wilde, Ron Livingston, Anna Kendrick and Jake Johnson (Nick from New Girl). It won't be your favourite film, but you won't hate it either. 7/10.

Just back from secret screening at cineworld where we were treated to....

Rise of The Planet Of The Apes 8/10

Very impressed the first 20/25mins of the film was spent with the apes with most of the conversation done via sign language which worked very well. Glad they focused more on the ape side of things than the human. CGI was fantastic as well

Just back from secret screening at cineworld where we were treated to....

Rise of The Planet Of The Apes 8/10

Very impressed the first 20/25mins of the film was spent with the apes with most of the conversation done via sign language which worked very well. Glad they focused more on the ape side of things than the human. CGI was fantastic as well

You mean Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

Was at the secret screening in Dundee Cineworld - really enjoyed it.

9/10

For us townies, more specifically, us doonhamers who only have a shitty Odeon with one screen (even Annan has 2 FFS!) and films normally out well after Annan and Carlisle (dunno how it stays open in all honesty!), what is a secret screening? My two educated** guesses would be it's either a screening where you were invited to and the general public weren't, or it's a case of you going into a screening and not knowing what film will be played. I would be edging towards the former :wacko:

** I imagine after I find out the answer then this word may well require removing :ph34r:

19QOS19, on 16 Jul 2014 - 02:56, said:

For us townies, more specifically, us doonhamers who only have a shitty Odeon with one screen (even Annan has 2 FFS!) and films normally out well after Annan and Carlisle (dunno how it stays open in all honesty!), what is a secret screening? My two educated** guesses would be it's either a screening where you were invited to and the general public weren't, or it's a case of you going into a screening and not knowing what film will be played. I would be edging towards the former :wacko:

** I imagine after I find out the answer then this word may well require removing :ph34r:

If you have an Unlimited Card that enables you to go see films for free* then every so often as a treat you are invited to a screening of a film that you have no prior knowledge about and only know what the film is once you're in the cinema watching it.

*Subscription service.

If you have an Unlimited Card that enables you to go see films for free* then every so often as a treat you are invited to a screening of a film that you have no prior knowledge about and only know what the film is once you're in the cinema watching it.

*Subscription service.

It's always a film that is being released a few days later.

Didn't take a genius to work out that this was Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. The fact that it was a 3D film was the biggest clue.

Boyhood
Stunning film, best of the year. A truly original idea that was pretty much perfectly executed. Richard Linklater cast a young boy at age 6 then shot a script about the trials and tribulations of family life over a 12 year period, denoted by music of the time.

How much of the casting was luck and how much was an eye for actors isn't clear, but to choose a boy at age 6 and have him wind up a terrific actor is pretty incredible.

Daresay some folk wont like it as it really focuses in on the minutaie of childhood and family life, but there's something immensely satisfying about watching someone graduate when you've spent nearly 3 hours watching snapshots of his life.

Loved it.

Stranger By The Lake 7/10

Ever wondered what James Blunt getting bummed by Magnum PI might look like? Wonder no more! Watched this the other day, not a bad film if you don't mind all the bumming and cocks in your face.

Paranormal Entity 3 - yet another movie based around the supposed possession of Annaliese Michel, a Bavarian girl who spent the best part of a year undergoing an exorcism in the '70s, before dying from malnutrition.

The film tries to set up a conflict between the girl's religious family and priest, and a medical team with a documentary crew, the interviewer of which seems to have travelled back in time from the present day, judging by his dialogue. This is probably the most boring exorcism movie I've seen, with very little happening and no sense of suspense at all. There's an awful lot of unsubtitled German dialogue, including lengthy and repeated audio-only recordings of what sounds like a girl being coached through a particularly tricky shit. Poor, although probably no worse than you'd expect from The Asylum, whose films are the movie industry's equivalent to a thirty-seventh generation photocopy.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was - in my opinion - lacking in imagination and unable to stand to reason (even within the confines of a world where Apes have risen up and can talk).

Here's why http://stuartreviewsstuff.wordpress.com/2014/07/18/dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-review-or-sunset-of-the-village-of-the-apes/

What were you expecting - Shakespeare?

The film, for what it was, was entertaining. That probably explains the scores. Some of the biggest grossing films of all time have also had some of the most unoriginal plotlines as well. It doesn't make them bad films.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

What were you expecting - Shakespeare?

The film, for what it was, was entertaining. That probably explains the scores. Some of the biggest grossing films of all time have also had some of the most unoriginal plotlines as well. It doesn't make them bad films.

A film can be unoriginal, but it also has to stand up to reasonable scrutiny.

For what it was, it was entertaining, but scores of 8 or 9 out of 10 are far fetched.

That purely depends on what those people were wanting from it though. I'm certainly not going to be watching it expecting to have my intelligence bettered. I'm going to want a fun action movie, with lots of good effects and maybe a plot that can simply keep my attention. If it delivers on those counts, I'll likely score it pretty highly.

Paranormal Activity 3 & 4 - number three is a prequel to the first two, showing us the days leading up to the big trauma in our heroine's forgotten childhood. While it doesn't quite hit the heights of the second film, it's still decent, with plenty of nice set pieces and some likeable characters to root for.

The same can't be said for Part 4, which brings us up-to-date as Katie resurfaces in present day Nevada, causing havoc for the neighbours. It feels very much tagged-on to the main series of films, largely because it doesn't really do much to advance the over-arcing plot. The general haunting of the new family feels a bit 'meh' too, although I enjoyed it more on this viewing than the first time round.

For what it's worth, I'm thinking that the chart goes: 2>3>4.5>1>4

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was - in my opinion - lacking in imagination and unable to stand to reason (even within the confines of a world where Apes have risen up and can talk).

Here's why http://stuartreviewsstuff.wordpress.com/2014/07/18/dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-review-or-sunset-of-the-village-of-the-apes/

As powerful as these apes are supposed to be, they remain susceptible to bullets and can be easily killed.

:lol: What were you expecting "Bulletproof Chimp"?

Edited by NorthernLights