What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Currently watching Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes for the first time.

I like the concept behind the entire POTA franchise, and despite a couple of stinkers (Conquest and Tim Burton) the other three were decent enough. A couple of plot holes here and there that cause petty grievance though.

I think the trailer for the prequel sequel looks pretty poor but this has been a surprisingly enjoyable watch. As far as CGI action goes, Michael Bay could learn something from this. The plot and idea is good, it's relatively clever without being self indulgent. IMO, a reboot of the entire POTA "story" is a good thing so this is a promising start (although as I've said, Dawn looks quite poor)

It will age terribly but this is a decent enough watch.

B-

[6/10]

Boyhood
Stunning film, best of the year. A truly original idea that was pretty much perfectly executed. Richard Linklater cast a young boy at age 6 then shot a script about the trials and tribulations of family life over a 12 year period, denoted by music of the time.

How much of the casting was luck and how much was an eye for actors isn't clear, but to choose a boy at age 6 and have him wind up a terrific actor is pretty incredible.

Daresay some folk wont like it as it really focuses in on the minutaie of childhood and family life, but there's something immensely satisfying about watching someone graduate when you've spent nearly 3 hours watching snapshots of his life.

Loved it.

Agree entirely with this. I actually think they landed on their feet well with his sister too, who started off annoying as f**k but actually developed her character fairly well in the snapshots.

The parents were well cast too, as were the others who popped in and out of the story. A real treat of a movie, although some will probably hate the concept.

Starred Up

Jack O'Connell is a 19 year old who has been shifted out of a young offenders institute and into prison. His dad is also there, and this movie basically chronicles a spell there where he develops different relationships with different folk in the prison. It's a sometimes brutal but always engaging movie this. The stuff between him and his dad goes into hammy territory at times and that's really the only negative I can find with this one. Everything else is absolute magic and while I was expecting a very good movie here, this one did manage to exceed expectations still.

9/10

I watched both Savages and Silver Linings Playbook yesterday. Savages was okay, watchable but nothing special. Silver Linings Playbook was excellent though. Great script, great performances, a really good watch.

2 headed shark attack 5/10

Would have liked to have seen more flesh and maybe a bit more interesting kills

Still decent enough for what it is

Got Sharktapus and some Mega Shark lined up to keep me going till Sharknado 2 next Wednesday

2 headed shark attack 5/10

Would have liked to have seen more flesh and maybe a bit more interesting kills

Still decent enough for what it is

Got Sharktapus and some Mega Shark lined up to keep me going till Sharknado 2 next Wednesday

Would recommend Jurassic Shark in there!

The Matrix 5//10

This was on the other day. Did the (apparently) shitty sequels kill love for the original? I liked what it was trying to do, in all of its Icke Forum nonsense. Much better in the paired scenes between Fishburn and Reeves than the action sequences for me. At some point it stops being a thinkpiece and starts blowing stuff up. It's done fairly interestingly if a bit ridiculously.

Oculus ( 2014 )

Seeing WWE Studios at the start of a movie always sets the alarm bells ringing for me, but this one certainly didn't follow the usual pattern. A pretty good horror movie from this one, as a brother and sister go back to the house that they lived in with their family as children, and take back the mirror they had back then to prove it was responsible for everything that happened there. What follows is two stories. One in the past and one in the present as we see what happened(s) in both. It's pretty well put together, and doesn't always rely on the cheap scares and clichés in order to get it's results. The climax and final scene are both pretty well done too.

7/10

Oh, and for me, The Matrix is an amazing movie.