What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Ouija 5/10

Went to see this in the cinema which is why I've given it a 5.

I think if I'd watched it on telly it would be lucky to get a 3. I jumped twice before the credits at the start and about half a dozen times times during it but it wasn't particularly scary more the sound effects and big screen helped.

No squeamish bits but a few jumpy moments and a reasonable story lined up for part 2.

My biggest complaint would be that the lead actress Olivia Cooke (Bates Motel) is more wooden than a wooden thing with a hard on. She shows hardly any emotion and wanders into the scariest of situations as if she was going into Asda.

Apart from that I've seen worse.

Overall verdict: Meh.

Mockingjay part 1. Builds the story. Hoping there's plenty of action in the final instalment.

This more or less.

Enjoyed the film but not a fan of breaking it up to show in two parts.

Would have happily sat through another couple of hours to get to the end.

Divergent

Some girl at my work mentioned this film being good so I gave it some time yesterday. It really is a pile of shite. The main girl looks like Tulisa from N-Dubz and she fancies the guy from the Inbetweeners film who had shit on his nose. They pal about training in some sort of urban police force and she has some sort of gift, which I couldn't work out what it was, but it was called Divergent.

Turned it off after 50 long minutes.

1/10

Is that the one with about Alan Turing? Fascinating story - quite like to see that. :)

Just watched 'It's a Wonderful Life.' :bairn

That's the one.....Good watchable film brilliantly acted by Cumberbatch.

A sad true story in the end.

Divergent

Some girl at my work mentioned this film being good so I gave it some time yesterday. It really is a pile of shite. The main girl looks like Tulisa from N-Dubz and she fancies the guy from the Inbetweeners film who had shit on his nose. They pal about training in some sort of urban police force and she has some sort of gift, which I couldn't work out what it was, but it was called Divergent.

Turned it off after 50 long minutes.

1/10

I don't even know how you managed 50 minutes of it.

I made it to the bit where they start jumping off a train like bunch of monkey simpletons.....and they were supposed to be the 'cool' gang.

Complete and utter shite, not many movies I've turned off after 15/20 minutes.

Hunger Games 3 - 5/10

It was alright i suppose. The whole thing falls down for me because Peeta is a total fucking weiner and i couldn't give a flying f**k what happens to him, and i can't understand what J-Law sees in him. Bored now.

The Talented Mr Ripley - 8/10

Good story and great clothes, a legend of a film.

Kick Ass 7/10

Yeah, yeah I know it came out in 1867 but only just got round to it. Enjoyable guff. Quite violent isn't it. Settled down for a cosy caper under the duvet and there's knives slicing through flesh faster than a Bernard Mathews' processing plant.

The Bicycle Thieves

This is a 1949 Italian film which follows a father and his young son round the streets of Rome in search of the father's stolen bike which he needs for his job. It goes from hopefulness to despair and finally humiliation. The ending makes this film so memorable, the final scene is utterly heartwrenching and profound. A true classic film which I wish I had known about years ago.

10/10

The Red Shoes

Based on a fable by one of our greatest literary geniuses, Hans Christian Andersen, this amazing drama tells a love story along with a candid and insightful look into the mechanics of a world class ballet company. The heroine falls in love with the company composer, to the disappointment of their controlling director who demands commitment, obedience and no distractions. We know dance and music as expressive arts but in this film, between the beautiful treats for the eyes and ears we're immersed in the heat of the demanding industry that's balanced on the feather-light grace of the artists. The young couple are masters of their vocations but at what expense? The spotlight is always on them.

The film was made in 1948 in the original three-strip (on cameras like phone booths), yet it manages the most intricate and graceful style, most so, of course, in the outstanding dance scenes. It's one of the very rare films, the number of which I could probably count on my fingers, not only where every scene is an icon, but where almost every single shot is a masterpiece in itself. It is breathtaking in its rich colour and camera work by Jack Cardiff- and truly does for ballet what Singin' In The Rain does for tap dancing. Dunfermline's own Moira Shearer leads the cast as the plucky young ballerina, born to dance but taken over by the stresses of showbusiness and romantic politics, and Anton Walbrook's enigmatic supporting performance is equally heartbreaking.

This was the first film by Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger that I saw, and although I've since seen several more great films of theirs, The Red Shoes is still my favourite by far. It's frightening to learn just how close this masterpiece came to being lost forever, such was the state of the neglected original negatives, but it's been preserved and digitally restored to something that can never be taken away- a universal film for the ages, if ever there was one.

10/10

It sits firmly in my top ten films of all time, and I mention this film now because it's currently available on the BBC iPlayer. If you haven't seen it, I thoroughly recommend you do so.