What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Birdman: 5/10

Let me start by saying that this film is brilliantly shot. The no cuts feel it has is a terrific achievement and the film, deliberately, ends up feeling like a play. The acting is generally excellent. Keaton and Norton are on top form. (Emma Stone seems a little overwhelmed and resorts to exaggerated facial expressions and shouting).

The problem with the film, for me, lies in it's cleverness. The film concentrates far too much on it's panning shots and clever fades. Even though I could appreciate the technique, I was hugely frustrated by the loss of real drama. The whole thing came across as planned and rehearsed rather than kinetic as a film should be, (sometimes you need a cut!). Drama was substituted in favour of clever homages to Citizen Kane.

I got the impression that this film was made for actors and industry types and was very self congratulatory. All in all it left me cold.

American Sniper: 6/10

The story of the 'greatest sniper in American history', Chris Kyle.

Perhaps part of the problem with this film is that Chris Kyle is considered a genuine American hero and therefore it would be difficult to portray him as anything but without a backlash. Some difficult concepts are played out but the film appears to judge Chris as a hero as it doesn't show any context behind the choices of his 'victims'. This left me a little uneasy as it's been a while since we've had such a one sided war movie. Caricatures of the enemy are laughably one dimensional, (I'm not sure if this is deliberate since these people are viewed through a scope at great distances and Chris would have known nothing about these people before he pulled the trigger).

For me, cinema should be about the viewer being omniscient and allowed to make their own mind up as to the actions of the antagonist but we are just fed the deaths and told to accept that they are bad people.

Given the nature of the events surrounding Chris's story it is perhaps understandable that he was treated with such reverence. The psychological impact of killing so many people is dealt with in a clichéd 'being slightly startled by noises' way rather than being explored properly which is a shame.

It was well shot and acted none the less. Average.

Edit: spelling

Edited by killienick

Pyramid -- 4/10

This isn't the worst film I've seen.

It's found-footage horror with Jay from Inbetweeners and he is actually one of the positive parts of the film. He'd make a good comedy-relief character for a bigger film.

The first half-hour was not-too-bad and you could see what the idea was -- adventure, claustrophobic, monster, horror. But, the last 2/3 falls off a cliff something else.

It actually becomes a bit of a laugh, no bad thing tbf.

Birdman: 5/10

Let me start by saying that this film is brilliantly shot. The no cuts feel it has is a terrific achievement and the film, deliberately, ends up feeling like a play. The acting is generally excellent. Keaton and Norton are on top form. (Emma Stone seems a little overwhelmed and resorts to exaggerated facial expressions and shouting).

The problem with the film, for me, lies in it's cleverness. The film concentrates far too much on it's panning shots and clever fades. Even though I could appreciate the technique, I was hugely frustrated by the loss of real drama. The whole thing came across as planned and rehearsed rather than kinetic as a film should be, (sometimes you need a cut!). Drama was substituted in favour of clever homages to Citizen Kane.

I got the impression that this film was made for actors and industry types and was very self congratulatory. All in all it left me cold.

I can understand why people didn't like the film but it's in my top 3 of this century and is one that I really do love. I loved how strange it was, how it was shot, the acting, some brilliant moments of humour and a very good ending (in my opinion at least as I'm sure many people will disagree). I think it was fully deserving of Best Picture and was a lot better than Boyhood (though I really hated that).

The Maze Runner - 8/10

I quite enjoyed the first Hunger Games but was a bit unsure about the follow-ups. This is one of those films that slots into that dystopian, YA fiction, sci-fi, genre that's quite popular just now, and which Hunger Games seems to lead the way.

We actually only watched this because we caught a trailer for the sequel which looks pretty cool - The Scorch Trials (spoilered below in case you've not seen the first film) so wanted to see the first film.

In contrast to Hunger Games, the film's entire cast are enjoyable to watch and keep the film moving along at a good pace (whereas I felt the Hunger Games was really slow at times and, without Jennifer Lawrence, would be boring as f***). Good special effects and good at building up tension.

Like the rest of these type of films, the plot / story makes no f***ing sense, but hey-ho, still good fun.

You should watch Battle Royale if you haven't seen it, the book / film that the author of The Hunger Games blatantly ripped off.

What We Do In The Shadows - 6/10

Daft as hell and raised some good laughs. It's awkward humour didn't always work but when it got it right it was excellent. Good Sunday afternoon film.

Might need to watch this again tonight; excellent film. Would make an excellent antipodean double bill with Housebound.

You should watch Battle Royale if you haven't seen it, the book / film that the author of The Hunger Games blatantly ripped off.

She'd never heard of it, m9.

28auohu.png

Ex Machina

After the first 20-30 minutes I didn't think I was going to enjoy it but it definitely grew on me. I found it both clever and poignant throughout and in my opinion acted very well, especially from the 2 make leads. I find the ending slightly confusing though.

7.5/10

Also Alicia Vikander is a very attractive woman post-9044-1446520751866_thumb.jpg

I can understand why people didn't like the film but it's in my top 3 of this century and is one that I really do love. I loved how strange it was, how it was shot, the acting, some brilliant moments of humour and a very good ending (in my opinion at least as I'm sure many people will disagree). I think it was fully deserving of Best Picture and was a lot better than Boyhood (though I really hated that).

Yeah I really wanted to like it and I can see why people do. I can also see why it is so revered because the techniques are brilliantly executed. The Keaton character was very engaging and the ambiguous ending was nice. It just felt, for me, like a wonderful dinner with all the best ingredients that had then been served in the wrong order - that's the best way I can think of to describe how I feel about it if that makes sense.

Ex Machina

After the first 20-30 minutes I didn't think I was going to enjoy it but it definitely grew on me. I found it both clever and poignant throughout and in my opinion acted very well, especially from the 2 make leads. I find the ending slightly confusing though.

7.5/10

Also Alicia Vikander is a very attractive woman attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1446520749.457603.jpg

You could've posted a better pic than that one. She is top totty

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

I seen this advertised as a comedy drama but in reality it's a slow boring film that felt like it lasted longer than the 1 hour 40 minutes advertised. I thought it would be like "A fault in our stars" which I thoroughly enjoyed but it really wasn't.....well apart from the sad ending.

Disappointed in it

3/10

The last movie I watched is The Man from U.N.C.L.E. It told a story about CIA agent Napoleon Solo and KGB operative Illya Kuryakin participate in a joint mission against a mysterious criminal organization, which is working to proliferate nuclear weapons In the early 1960s.

The last movie I watched is The Man from U.N.C.L.E. It told a story about CIA agent Napoleon Solo and KGB operative Illya Kuryakin participate in a joint mission against a mysterious criminal organization, which is working to proliferate nuclear weapons In the early 1960s.

Fargo - 5/10

Watched this at the weekend because it popped up on my netflix. Heard of it, had good reviews and won some oscars so thought must be good.

Mrs and I laughed a few times and winced at a few moments but other than that pretty unimpressed.

Just found it all a bit weird I know its set in Minnesota but they didn't really need to say "Ya!" after ever sentence, we ended up getting annoyed by it. (probably meant to be)

Buscemi is decent in majority of stuff he does and was no bad here. Big john abruzzi played the silent psycho well. William H macy plays the dafty car salesman well also.

Apparently the pregnant police chief won an academy award for best actress. She was alright i suppose but didnt think she was on screen long enough to justify an award.

This post's reminding me of printing text to the screen on the Sinclair Spectrum.

All we need is some flashing text and cursor and we're good to GOTO 10.