What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Do you need to know the story of the previous star wars films to get the most out of the new one or is it more of a standalone?

I wouldn't say it's a standalone, but you don't need to have seen the others. There are quite a few references to the originals, but nothing particularly obscure.

I'd be interested to see the reaction of people who have never seen the original.

I wouldn't say it's a standalone, but you don't need to have seen the others. There are quite a few references to the originals, but nothing particularly obscure.

I'd be interested to see the reaction of people who have never seen the original.

You'd have more chance finding a unicorn, surely. It's hard to believe anyone could have managed to avoid being exposed to those films at some point.

Thankfully I've never seen a Star Wars film in my puff. Long may that continue!

You've blocked it from your mind; they put it on the telly every time it rained at play time when you were at school.

Ah, it's all coming back now, isn't it? :P

I've never seen a Star Wars film but I'm aware of the bad star warriors being in black & sounding a bit darlikesque. Don't know the end but I assume the blacks get the shit kicked out of them & the white star warriors are the racial winners?

Does anyone know how Titanic ends?

Grimbo

I've never seen a Star Wars film but I'm aware of the bad star warriors being in black & sounding a bit darlikesque. Don't know the end but I assume the blacks get the shit kicked out of them & the white star warriors are the racial winners?

Does anyone know how Titanic ends?

Grimbo

Sorry Grimbo, the bad guys primarily wear white uniforms and the sole black character (I think?) is with the good guys.

I loved Hooper X's rant about Star Wars in Chasing Amy :lol:

Hooper: Always some white boy gotta invoke the holy trilogy. Bust this: Those movies are about how the white man keeps the brother man down, even in a galaxy far, far away. Check this shit: You got cracker farm boy Luke Skywalker, Nazi poster boy, blond hair, blue eyes. And then you got Darth Vader, the blackest brother in the galaxy, Nubian god!

Banky Edwards: What's a Nubian?

Hooper: Shut the f**k up! Now... Vader, he's a spiritual brother, y'know, down with the force and all that good shit. Then this cracker, Skywalker, gets his hands on a light saber and the boy decides he's gonna run the fuckin' universe; gets a whole clan of whites together. And they go and bust up Vader's hood, the Death Star. Now what the f**k do you call that?

Banky Edwards: Intergalactic civil war?

Hooper: Gentrification! They gon' drive out the black element to make the galaxy quote, unquote, safe for white folks. And Jedi's the most insulting installment! Because Vader's beautiful black visage is sullied when he pulls off his mask to reveal a feeble, crusty, old white man! They tryin' to tell us that deep inside we all wants to be white!

Banky Edwards: Well, isn't that true?

[Hooper pulls out his gun, shoots Banky]

Sorry Grimbo, the bad guys primarily wear white uniforms and the sole black character (I think?) is with the good guys.

I loved Hooper X's rant about Star Wars in Chasing Amy :lol:

Hooper: Always some white boy gotta invoke the holy trilogy. Bust this: Those movies are about how the white man keeps the brother man down, even in a galaxy far, far away. Check this shit: You got cracker farm boy Luke Skywalker, Nazi poster boy, blond hair, blue eyes. And then you got Darth Vader, the blackest brother in the galaxy, Nubian god!

Banky Edwards: What's a Nubian?

Hooper: Shut the f**k up! Now... Vader, he's a spiritual brother, y'know, down with the force and all that good shit. Then this cracker, Skywalker, gets his hands on a light saber and the boy decides he's gonna run the fuckin' universe; gets a whole clan of whites together. And they go and bust up Vader's hood, the Death Star. Now what the f**k do you call that?

Banky Edwards: Intergalactic civil war?

Hooper: Gentrification! They gon' drive out the black element to make the galaxy quote, unquote, safe for white folks. And Jedi's the most insulting installment! Because Vader's beautiful black visage is sullied when he pulls off his mask to reveal a feeble, crusty, old white man! They tryin' to tell us that deep inside we all wants to be white!

Banky Edwards: Well, isn't that true?

[Hooper pulls out his gun, shoots Banky]

Puts Chasing Amy on to do list.

Grimbo

The Possibilities are Endless

Documentary charting Edwyn Collins' battle back from a near fatal stroke and how he starts to get his life back with the support of friends and family. Cleverly done, with his son appearing as the young Edwyn and also featuring some spectacular scenery around Helmsdale.

Watched Chasing Amy, was it the intricacies of the male psyche or the insecurities of the modern romance. Maybe we just can't except the truth of dealing with the past, that we are not a part of that it creates the past to be & that becomes our future torture.

Boy meets girl, boy falls for girl, girl falls for boy, boy fucks up, girl leaves boy

7/10

Now I have to watch Clerks.

Grimbo

Mistress America

Really enjoyable - funny, good acting, good characters. Lola Kirke (daughter of the drummer from Bad Company) is excellent as a college girl who struggles to make friends when she moves to New York. Hooks up with her soon-to-be stepsister and we get a sad/funny tale of unfulfilled ambitions contrasted with the possibilities of youth. If the missus suggest you watch something light and fluffy, this is a good one to slip under the radar.