What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Boss Baby - the wean was desperate to see this for some reason. It's not bad for a film adults are likely to be dragged along to, but not worth going to see under your own steam. I might be feeling a bit more charitable towards it because I managed to stretch out along the back row and take a mid-movie nap, but my little man liked it and thought it was funny. It would probably be a good film to show to kids who are worried about the imminent arrival of a new sibling.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - dug's baws. Full of great characters, Kurt Fucking Russell, plenty of laugh-out-loud moments, and a number of plot events that tug on the heart strings - Star-Lord has nae fucking luck. I especially enjoyed the film's awareness that everyone is expecting big CGI set-pieces, leaving them occasionally running in the background to focus on the minutiae like Baby Groot doing his thing. Naturally, there's the usual slew of credits sequences to hang around for, and it still surprises me how many people leave as soon as the film ends.

The Thor 3 trailer put me right in the mood for that one too. Don't think Hulk rampaging into a room has ever been met with such an overjoyed response before  :lol:

The Young Offenders:
A fun movie about two Irish teenagers who go and try and make some money out of a recent cocaine spillage.
Ultimately, this movie is a really fun time - partly down to the short runtime of 1 hour 23 minutes, partly down to the fact it's a good time.
The two leads bounce off each other brilliantly, though I did have to turn subtitles on to understand their accents, and they look like they're enjoying themselves too. The supporting cast all put in similarly over-the-top performances, but it does suit the style of the movie. It's fitting that given the main plot of it, it really does feel like a movie on a f**k load of cocaine.
I think this is Peter Foott's first feature length movie and he's made a great start. I really did like the style of it: almost
Wes Anderson meets Tarantino (or I'm way off).
One negative I will say is that it did get a bit messy towards the end.
It's on Netflix for all to (hopefully) enjoy!

Pusher 1996

Norwegian film from the director behind drive and bronson. Some familiar faces including jyn's dad from rogue one and the guy from the bridge series. Worth tracking this down, has a definite vibe to it. Would maybe describe it as a less corny danish lock stock.

8/10

Going to watch the sequels this weekend.

The Young Offenders:
A fun movie about two Irish teenagers who go and try and make some money out of a recent cocaine spillage.
Ultimately, this movie is a really fun time - partly down to the short runtime of 1 hour 23 minutes, partly down to the fact it's a good time.
The two leads bounce off each other brilliantly, though I did have to turn subtitles on to understand their accents, and they look like they're enjoying themselves too. The supporting cast all put in similarly over-the-top performances, but it does suit the style of the movie. It's fitting that given the main plot of it, it really does feel like a movie on a f**k load of cocaine.
I think this is Peter Foott's first feature length movie and he's made a great start. I really did like the style of it: almost
Wes Anderson meets Tarantino (or I'm way off).
One negative I will say is that it did get a bit messy towards the end.
It's on Netflix for all to (hopefully) enjoy!

Have you ever seen 'Man about Dog'?
If not it could be a film you may enjoy.

Watched Pusher 2 and 3.
Think the second was the best out the two and was almost equal to the original. The third was worthwhile but lacked something. I like how almost all the action takes place in the one street though.

Open range - 9/10.

Kevin Costner has made some pish films and some great films. This is a great film.

Really enjoy a good western and this was right up there. Costner and Robert Duvall were excellent.

Can I make a suggestion? This is one of the threads on p&b that I always read but I think it could be improved by folk, when reviewing a film, say where they saw it? Netflix, Amazon prime, Sky, cinema, cooncil tv etc.

Open range - 9/10.

Kevin Costner has made some pish films and some great films. This is a great film.

Really enjoy a good western and this was right up there. Costner and Robert Duvall were excellent.

Can I make a suggestion? This is one of the threads on p&b that I always read but I think it could be improved by folk, when reviewing a film, say where they saw it? Netflix, Amazon prime, Sky, cinema, cooncil tv etc.

Great film. Seconded on second point.

We were Soldiers. 8/10. On UK Turks on the Kodi.

From back in the day when Mel Gibson could hardly put a foot wrong. Saw it years ago on VHS when it first arrived in the local video shop. Good to watch it again as I had forgotten a great deal of it. Plenty of blood and guts. The battle scenes easily rival the start of Saving Private Ryan for me.

(93)

Without Warning 7/10

Three asteroids hit Earth - one in the US, one in France and one in China.  Coincidences and a serious of odd events means this could be more than it seems...Done in the style of a rolling newscast, this is a TV movie that isn't considered to be great. But I saw it in the mid-90s and it's stayed with me and I watched it again this week. Some of the news anchors are real and a lot of the main cast are reasonably well known (the mum from Malcolm ITM, Phillip Baker Hall!, John De Lancie aka Q from Star Trek).

Scientists argue that these asteroids were guided by an intelligent force. Whether they were or not plays out well with the continual criss-crossing of narrative between sites, newsrooms, NASA and the studio and while it's not plausible as stuff, the narrative is really well handled IMO. Business picks up as more asteroids are heading, which the US decides to obliterate with nuclear warheads.

An old-fashioned morality play in many respects and there are nods to Shakespeare in the story of humanity doomed by its own folly and ego. Relevant now to a certain extent! Not for everyone but I think the style works great and the lead (who is a non-actor) is very strong as the paternal but neutral journalist

On YT in full 

(94-97)

I Am Not Your Negro 7.5/10

Basically an essay turned into a doco, very good, could NOT be more still highly relevant about what a total bunch of c***s white america is of course. (cinema)

Raw 7.5/10

" When shown on Gothenburg Film Festival, several attendants in the audience fainted and vomited. Over 30 people left the cinema prematurely and they had to take a break in the middle of the movie due to all the turmoil."

Pwopa nutty this, not sure about literally fainting but some bits were pretttty grim. Definitely makes you think twice about becoming a vegetarian. (Torrent)

Let Us Prey 9.5/10

Scottish horror. Shit title, awesome horror. Definitely recommended. (Netflix)

The Shallows 3.4/10

Really crap film with Blake Lively fighting a shark for 90mins, co-star  is a seagull. The only reason I stuck with it is because I found I'm really into the ripped-to-shreds wetsuit look on shapely womens. (Sky)

(98-100)

Lion 7/10

Amazing performance from the little kid, how do they get little kids to act, must be just telling him exactly what to do and what their face should should look like which is what I always imagined the directors job is. When the film ended I made sure my kid knew the name of the town she lived and her mum's name (torrent)

Fast and Furious 8 4/10

The single most ridiculous thing I've ever sat through. The good ridiculous could have had it at 10/10 but the bad ridiculous could have been zero! (cinema)

Graduation 8/10

This was well good this, Romanian film about people doing shit and then getting into trouble and that (cinema)

I went on a bit of movie binge yesterday as I was off work with a bad back and wanted to move as little as possible -

Hell Or High Water (Amazon Prime) - This was a very good modern western with great performances from Chris Pine, Jeff Bridges and Ben Foster. The plot is really quite simple, a couple of brothers rob banks in west Texas to stop the banks from reclaiming their family land and a pair of old Texas Rangers are on their trail.
It's straightforward but very watchable mainly due to some brilliant cinematography and the terrific cast, Pines best performance imo. 8/10.

The Young Offenders (Netflix) - Really enjoyed this one in spite of its low brow humour and plot. A couple of Irish juvenile delinquents come up with a plan to acquire millions of euros worth of cocaine from the coast where drug smugglers have ditched a massive haul. The humour isn't particularly deep and there really isn't much of a plot other than a 'road trip' but the 2 young lads are just incredibly likable and there are some very funny set pieces. It's also short so doesn't outstay it's welcome. 7.5/10

I Don't Feel at Home In This World Anymore (Netflix) - A quirky Netflix indie movie with Melanie Lynskey and Elijah Wood. A woman has her house burgled and frustrated by the lack of action by the police takes it upon herself to find the culprits. A darkly comic film with some severe tonal shifts at times and great performances from the leads, particularly Woods oddball martial arts loving rocker. Well worth watching if you fancy something a little bit different. 7.5/10