What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Creed II -- an interesting premise which sees Creed matching up to Ivan Drago's son. It's utterly predictable but it was adequately executed. Not as good as the first Creed but all in all a pretty decent entry into this 42 year old franchise. 6/10

3 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I went to see 'Roma' today. It's probably great... I just couldn't get into it. The first hour or so dragged for me but I was rather tired while watching it, and I didn't actually feel like much time was wasted when it ended i.e. the slowness all felt conducive to giving the ending much more weight.
I just wasn't getting enough from what came before though.
That said, I'm perfectly willing to give it another go as I feel like it was my fault, not the film's.

Just watched this on my TV.  Leisurely pace gradually lured me in and likely one of the best films of 2018.

I didn't quite get the boyfriend at the student demo though. Was the martial arts training connected to some right-wing group?

Bumblebee

Definitely the best of the live action Transformers movies (the original animated one is still head and shoulders above), and almost registers on the level of "pretty good". Sadly the rest of the film never quite lives up to the opening scenes on Cybertron, but it's decent enough. John Cena is surprisingly good as the human antagonist. Nice 80s soundtrack, including a Transformers classic.

Going to see Stan and Ollie at the Unlimited screening tonight - really looking forward to that.

The Old Man and the Gun

Quite the wee charmer of a movie here. Doesn't appear to really GO anywhere but it's a breeze anyway and that means I don't really give a shit. Redford in full charm mode is always great to see and there's one scene in particular that is genuinely both tense and fairly funny at the same time.

8/10

5 hours ago, GrahamJags said:

Stan & Ollie - 9/10 (cinema)

Saw the Unlimited screening of this last night and loved it. Steve Coogan is excellent as Stan Laurel, and absolutely nails his facial expressions during their skits in particular.

I really liked it. I loved how the traditional Glasgow story about them made it in too!

5 hours ago, Christophe said:

(213)

Aquaman 0/10

I don’t know where to begin with this. So I won’t. (cinema)

This is about 8 points below where I'd have it. It's daft as f**k, but it's a superhero movie, so plotholes are instantly disregarded due to the entire movie being one big plothole.

Goldeneye.

Mental, ludicrous stuff. A patently absurd film.

Pierce Brosnan’s first film as Bond is easily his best and one of the best Bond films overall. Despite it being complete nonsense in so many different ways (tonally being perhaps the main one given how it lurches from Carry On style innuendo to Cold War politics) it’s deeply entertaining.

There are some times when I was laughing out loud at some of the shit in this film. The dialogue is often hilarious.

Great soundtrack. The theme song is one of the best, although I found out it was written and Bono and The Edge, even though it’s Tina Turner who sings it. The music is iconic given it’s the same used in the game, and even the sound effects will be familiar with those who battered the N64 game.

It’s a shame that Brosnan would be let down by increasingly shit writing with his other Bond efforts. His next one, Tomorrow Never Dies, is just boring and has one of the limpest bad guys ever. The World is Not Enough is disjointed po-faced rubbish with a deeply silly and ineffective bad guy. Die Another Day goes in the opposite direction and massively overdoes the stupidity and mentalness given the invisible car stuff and the bad guy who changes his face.

Goldeneye.

Pierce Brosnan’s first film as Bond is easily his best and one of the best Bond films overall. Despite it being complete nonsense in so many different ways (tonally being perhaps the main one given how it lurches from Carry On style innuendo to Cold War politics) it’s deeply entertaining.

There are some times when I was laughing out loud at some of the shit in this film. The dialogue is often hilarious.

Great soundtrack. The theme song is one of the best, although I found out it was written and Bono and The Edge, even though it’s Tina Turner who sings it. The music is iconic given it’s the same used in the game, and even the sound effects will be familiar with those who battered the N64 game.

It’s a shame that Brosnan would be let down by increasingly shit writing with his other Bond efforts. His next one, Tomorrow Never Dies, is just boring and has one of the limpest bad guys ever. The World is Not Enough is disjointed po-faced rubbish with a deeply silly and ineffective bad guy. Die Another Day goes in the opposite direction and massively overdoes the stupidity and mentalness given the invisible car stuff and the bad guy who changes his face.
Famke Janssen is ridiculously sexy in GoldenEye. Also, Sean Bean is a great villain. One of those films if I'm flicking channels I'll always stop to watch.

30 minutes ago, pittsburgh phil said:
3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:
Goldeneye.

Famke Janssen is ridiculously sexy in GoldenEye. Also, Sean Bean is a great villain. One of those films if I'm flicking channels I'll always stop to watch.

Aye they're both quality. Xenia is also frequently hilarious with her screaming and expressions when she kills guys via her thighs or is getting off on violence. Sean Bean played the villain well with a good range going from dashing expositional tit to shouty Northern w**k. He also survives some amount of shit (point blank gun shot to the head, massive explosion, falling hundreds of feet off of the satellite relay) and is only killed when the exploding wreckage of the relay smashes in to his face.

Bumblebee (cinema)

I was highly sceptical about this film given how poor so many of the other Transformers movies have been, but this was excellent. Set in the 80s, it used its setting very well with the music, pop culture references and it’s tone felt very much like a movie of that time. There was something distinctly E.T about the relationship between Charlie and Bumblebee. 

I felt that John Cena was probably a bit underused and probably unnecessary but Hailee Steinfeld was perfectly cast and pretty much carried the movie on her own. 

9/10. A glorious, family friendly film.

And yes. I’m a grown man, watching a Transformers movie. What fucking of it? 

Edited by Kyle