What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Mary Poppins Returns

It has a difficult job following the original, and it’s never going to live up to the expectation, but it’s entertaining enough. Colin Firth is pretty good as the chairman of the bank, and Emily Blunt is glorious as big MP. The songs are decent if not particularly memorable. On the downside, I spent the whole film wanting to punch all 3 of the children, which was never something I had with the first one.

4 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Can anyone explain why some people can look in Bird Box? And please tell me the whole thing's not just an allegory for how difficult parenthood is.
I liked it, btw.

Because it's convenient for the shitty plot, the film had potential but it was badly wasted. Absolutely zero attempt to explain what was going on, I hate stories like that, it's a cop out and means you can just write any auld shite.

It got recommended to me by a colleague at work, won't be listening to them again.

White Boy Rick

True story about 14 year old boy who is recruited as an informant and then drug dealer by the FBI in Detroit during the early 80's crack cocaine explosion. Matthew McConaughey plays his gun dealing father to his usual high standard......7/10.

The Old Man And The Gun

Great wee film with Robert Redford in his last film appearance apparently. Another true story about a career bank robber who made 16 successful prison escapes during his lifetime. Good supporting cast too.........8/10.

Holmes and Watson

Second half of today's cinema double, and enjoyed it more than the first. Ferrell and Reilly are usually good together, and for once, the best jokes are not all shown in the trailer. Some excellent parodies of all the other recent takes on Sherlock Holmes too.

Holmes and Watson
Second half of today's cinema double, and enjoyed it more than the first. Ferrell and Reilly are usually good together, and for once, the best jokes are not all shown in the trailer. Some excellent parodies of all the other recent takes on Sherlock Holmes too.
I really enjoyed it as well. Reviews have slated it but that's to be expected. Was pissing myself at some bits. Good to see the old gang back together and hopefully a warm up for an eventual Step Brothers sequel.....

Can anyone explain why some people can look in Bird Box? And please tell me the whole thing's not just an allegory for how difficult parenthood is.
I liked it, btw.
Criminally insane people can look at it and it had no effect.... yet it doesn't tell you what it is or what it's purpose is. Guessing something to do with how a criminals mind works.

Xmas catch-up:

(214-220)

Videodrome 6/10

Bit weird. (Sky)

Old Man and the Gun 3/10

Robert Redford is a septuagenarian bank robber in a true life(ish?) tale that in reality is much more about Robert Redford than the person he was playing. I guess how much you like this film will probably depend on how much you found Redford to be this charming old folksy crim with a hat of gold, I just found him really cloying. The whole “chase” by the single minded detective Casey Affleck was the least tense hunt ever because it was pretty clear early on that it was really not that integral to the story. Even the attempt to do that authentic to its era (70s) thing by using grainy film stock (or possibly a digital effect) was quite grating. (cinema)  

American Movie 10/10

One of the funniest films ever. (DVD)

Bumblebee 7/10

This was the Transformers film they should have fucking started with! It’s fun, it’s for kids, it has enough from the 80s to make the old people like me enjoy it. The design of the Transformers was just fantastic, it all looked exactly what it should look like. It was daft and there was a lot of stupid stuff but it was funny and nostalgic and I really enjoyed it. (cinema)

Time of the Gypsies 8/10

More Kusturica, a magic realist coming of age depresso about a callow Romani type whose only true friend is a turkey. Based on the two films I have seen, this director’s films have their own internal logic that bypasses typical Hollywood cause and effect. In ‘Underground’ it helped generate a manic and unpredictable comic-tragic chaos that propels you through an unlikely situation. In this it doesn’t work because the situation is a little more ‘real’, involving human trafficking and the Goodfellas “how I became a criminal” story. Still, it is obviously the work of a brilliant mind, and some of the visuals are top rate. (DailyMotion)

Free Solo 10/10

Holy shit this was fucking amazing. Just brilliant. This guy climbs a cliff face with no safety ropes. 

even though I knew he did it, it was still so fucking intense, even the bits where he was practising with ropes, I spent most of the film with my hands over my eyes

It’s GORGEOUS 

it’s brilliant. (cinema)

Sorry To Bother You 7/10

Interesting film this! I appreciate it when someone tries to do something a bit different (even if there were obvious shades of Spike Jonze, and from what I understand the film ‘O Lucky Man’ although never seen that) and the first two thirds were proper fizzing with ideas BUT it did lose its way in the last third for me. (cinema) 

22 July (Netflix)

Brilliant movie, the terror of the event along with the harrowing trial and trauma of the recovery for one particular family is captured perfectly by greengrass...should be awards heading his way. 9/10

A beautiful mind(film 4)

2nd time seeing it...career defining performance from crowe IMO.9/10

Hickock(Netflix)

Pretty much every cliche you can imagine in a western put in this one  plus various scenes from other films stuck in for good measure, watchable enough 5/10

Inside out

Watched this a couple of years ago but caught it again on BBC 1 today. Honestly think this is the best thing Pixar have ever done.

Maybe a bit too complex for really young kids as it is quite deep, but it's an unbelievably effective journey into the emotional development of a child. Anyone who works with/has kids should make a point of seeing it. Clearly it's not quite an academic journal but you can tell they got some experts in at some stage to consult.

On top of this, everything you'd expect from Pixar - amazing animation, top class voice acting and funny.

I'll take another week to get over Bing Bong though [emoji24]

Inside out

Watched this a couple of years ago but caught it again on BBC 1 today. Honestly think this is the best thing Pixar have ever done.

Maybe a bit too complex for really young kids as it is quite deep, but it's an unbelievably effective journey into the emotional development of a child. Anyone who works with/has kids should make a point of seeing it. Clearly it's not quite an academic journal but you can tell they got some experts in at some stage to consult.

On top of this, everything you'd expect from Pixar - amazing animation, top class voice acting and funny.

I'll take another week to get over Bing Bong though [emoji24]
Agree 100% with that especially the bing bong part!! Seems to be one of the less well talked about Pixar films but agree it's one of their best.