What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

IMG_20190330_120304.thumb.jpg.a0f16a3b098fd071b4d06883dc7e8d5a.jpg

I'm actually in this movie as an extra (one of numerous gaijins playing Russian POWs.

Wouldn't recommend it unless you can understand Japanese or Russian, although I've just bought a new suit for next year's Oscars.....

Sorry to say I was disappointed by 'Us'.
I liked the fact it was a horror with character/family stuff at the forefront, but it wasn't scary enough to make the non-character/family stuff worthwhile to me. There was a creepiness in the opening 45 or so that I liked, however it wasn't capable of going beyond that when it needed to.
In fact, much of it felt quite by-the-numbers before losing the plot with 15/20 to go.
Like 'Get Out', there was a load of really clever imagery packed in there, and I'm sure there was a load that I missed so maybe a re-watch will change my opinion, especially given I'm not quite sure what it all meant.
There was also far too big a chunk of this that reminded me of last year's pretty rubbish Strangers: Prey at Night.

The Vanishing ( 2019 )

Well... I didn't expect this. Warning bells go off when it's a low budget period piece with a limited release starring Gerard Butler, who just doesn't make very many good movies. With all of that in mind, credit has to go to this wee cracker of a movie about three lighthouse keepers who find a chest and the ramifications of that. And speaking of Gerard Butler, he's absolutely outstanding in this. There's outstanding tension from the minute things start to happen, and it doesn't let up often, with pretty much every plot strand landing where it's supposed to land, and it comes to it's finish pretty well. Not only was this a pleasant surprise, but it's a really fucking good movie which is well worth your time.
9/10
Just watched this earlier too and normally can't stand Butler the Paisley p***k but he was good here. Film is very loosely based on real events so this is made up and not what actually happened..... probably. I have a lot of time for Mullan due to his US stuff over the last few years so really quite enjoyed this. Ex colleague of mines sister in law does visitor tours for exhibition about it on Lewis.....7/10.

5 hours ago, Principal Flutie said:

The Vanishing ( 2019 )

Well... I didn't expect this. Warning bells go off when it's a low budget period piece with a limited release starring Gerard Butler, who just doesn't make very many good movies. With all of that in mind, credit has to go to this wee cracker of a movie about three lighthouse keepers who find a chest and the ramifications of that. And speaking of Gerard Butler, he's absolutely outstanding in this. There's outstanding tension from the minute things start to happen, and it doesn't let up often, with pretty much every plot strand landing where it's supposed to land, and it comes to it's finish pretty well. Not only was this a pleasant surprise, but it's a really fucking good movie which is well worth your time.

9/10

5 hours ago, Kyle said:

Where did you manage to catch this? I'm really keen on catching a showing somewhere.

We were going to watch this last night at Linwood until we seen the start time 10pm Same time again tonight  PISH!

Dumbo

Took niece #1 to see this there, and we both loved it. Not quite as good as the cartoon, but on the plus side, nowhere near as racist.

It’s very Tim Burton, but it actually fits the story well. Thought the pace of the first bit was a bit too quick, but that’s understandable given it’s a Disney film aimed at younger kids, and they won’t want it too long as a result.

Nice wee cameo from a ring announcer, and some lovely nods to the original. The kids are brilliant, while Michael Keaton is a great villain without being too over the top.

Just came back from Shazam with the missus, absolutely fantastic flick that. She's usually not into superhero stuff but really enjoyed herself with this one, and I had a blast too. More heart than most every Marvel movie these days.

Good mid- and post-credit scenes too.

Nebraska (2013)

Bruce Dern is Woody Grant, a boozehound with a bit of dementia. He gets a scam mailing through the post telling him he's won $1m & he sets off for the competition company's head office in Lincoln, Nebraska at every opportunity, usually on foot.

Fed up with him wandering off along the highway and Woody usually being brought home by the cops, his son David relents & agrees to drive his dad all the way from his home in Montana to Nebraska. A road trip ensues, stopping off on the way at dad's old hometown for a reunion of sorts with a variety of characters.

The film was a bit slow at first but just got better & better, Woody's acid-tongued wife is brilliant in this movie. Most of the cast must have been 70+yrs old in this, bar a handful of younger characters.

The Mid-West USA scenery & landscapes were great, the movie is in b&w.

Well worth watching & the ending was just magic.

8/10

Nebraska (2013)
Bruce Dern is Woody Grant, a boozehound with a bit of dementia. He gets a scam mailing through the post telling him he's won $1m & he sets off for the competition company's head office in Lincoln, Nebraska at every opportunity, usually on foot.
Fed up with him wandering off along the highway and Woody usually being brought home by the cops, his son David relents & agrees to drive his dad all the way from his home in Montana to Nebraska. A road trip ensues, stopping off on the way at dad's old hometown for a reunion of sorts with a variety of characters.
The film was a bit slow at first but just got better & better, Woody's acid-tongued wife is brilliant in this movie. Most of the cast must have been 70+yrs old in this, bar a handful of younger characters.
8/10

Does he get the cash? Actually don't tell me.

2 hours ago, jimmy boo said:
13 hours ago, Silverton End said:
Nebraska (2013)
8/10

Does he get the cash? Actually don't tell me.

:lol: It was on Film4 jimmy, so may well get shown again.

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

I feel like I am going nuts but I was sure Nebraska was in colour when I saw it. Loved that film.

Definitely b&w Mixu.

It had a similar vibe to The Straight Story, the true tale about the old guy (Alvin Straight) who tries to travel across the USA on his lawnmower to visit his ill brother.

Another good film