What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Die Hard 2 is a poor rerun of 1. Agree on the third...but what about the others?

Diminishing returns. 4 is passable, but 5 is absolute dog meat: seeing Bruce Willis on the One Show sofa looking disinterested and like he'd rather be anywhere else is exactly how you'll feel watching that one....

10 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

The Night of the Hunter (1955)

Before seeing this film Robert Mitchum had always struck me as a bumbling oaf of an actor; witness his murdering of Phillip Marlowe in the remake of "The Big Sleep" or him sleepwalking through Herman Wouk's "The Winds of War" and its sequel.

However...he is masterful as the preacher who terrorises a young boy and girl in order to find their criminal father's stash. He is also an absolute bawbag to their mother (Shelly Winters) and commits an act which was pretty shocking to the 50's movie goer.

Also featuring former silent movie star (and rhyming slang recipient) Lilian Gish in a pivotal role, it's one of the best movies of the 50s.

It's one of the best movies ever. The scene on the river, the shadow in the bedroom, the angry mob and Shelley Winters underwater are absolutely stunning scenes. 

11 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

The Night of the Hunter (1955)

Before seeing this film Robert Mitchum had always struck me as a bumbling oaf of an actor; witness his murdering of Phillip Marlowe in the remake of "The Big Sleep" or him sleepwalking through Herman Wouk's "The Winds of War" and its sequel.

However...he is masterful as the preacher who terrorises a young boy and girl in order to find their criminal father's stash. He is also an absolute bawbag to their mother (Shelly Winters) and commits an act which was pretty shocking to the 50's movie goer.

Also featuring former silent movie star (and rhyming slang recipient) Lilian Gish in a pivotal role, it's one of the best movies of the 50s.

Genuinely scary movie when I first saw it with Bob convincing as a quasi-religious psychopath who you just knew would let his left hand (HATE) take control when it mattered.

Charles Laughton's only movie as a director - Southern Gothic at it's best.

As for Mitchum his best work was in early noir  movies my personal favourite being Out of the Past (Mitchum, Kirk Douglas & Jane Greer as the Femme Fatale) - he was just phoning it in by the 60s trading on his past work much like another Bob (De Niro) does these days. 

On 16/08/2021 at 16:46, Detournement said:

Die Hard 2 is the exact same movie as Die Hard. And Die Hard 3 is fucking brilliant!

6 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Die Hard 2 is a poor rerun of 1. Agree on the third...but what about the others?

6 hours ago, Scorge said:

Diminishing returns. 4 is passable, but 5 is absolute dog meat: seeing Bruce Willis on the One Show sofa looking disinterested and like he'd rather be anywhere else is exactly how you'll feel watching that one....

6 hours ago, Detournement said:

I haven't watched them because I've got good taste. 

drinking game we tend to play - name the sequels (or the alternative name if they dropped the number or accompanied the number in some territories) without looking up:

Die Hard

Die Hard 2: Die Harder

Die Hard with a Vengeance 

and then I start to struggle:

A Good Day to Die Hard

Live Free or Die Hard

or maybe the other way around.

Same for Mission Impossible after the first three. They all have inter-changeable titles....

We went to see The Courier on Saturday and it was a really enjoyable movie. A true life gripping story with strong lead actors who gave some depth and credibility to the relationships between each other, colleagues and families. It also wasn’t too far- fetched, nor drawn out with silly “Tom & Jerry” type chases but retained the suspense you’d expect with Cold War espionage and the KGB on your case.

I’d definitely recommend this movie.
Watched this last night and thought it was really good.

Limbo (2020) 8.5/10

Brilliant film especially relevant just now with the ongoing situation in Afghanistan. The cinematography is class as is usually the case when filming on the Outer Hebrides. The acting and directing doesn't feel small budget at all and infact it's absolutely best seen at the cinema especially for the last 10 mins.

So get out to your local cinema and get it watched.

54 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I can only assume those are stylised Roman numerals and he means he has watched Children of the Corn I-II. There can't be eleven of them!

He's not wrong.

Almost as perplexing as when you discover that there are ten (soon to be eleven) films in the Hellraiser franchise, seven of which have managed to be released without anyone being aware of it.

On 19/08/2021 at 09:45, 101 said:

Limbo (2020) 8.5/10

Brilliant film especially relevant just now with the ongoing situation in Afghanistan. The cinematography is class as is usually the case when filming on the Outer Hebrides. The acting and directing doesn't feel small budget at all and infact it's absolutely best seen at the cinema especially for the last 10 mins.

So get out to your local cinema and get it watched.

Don't think this delivered. Thought the bits played for laughs (i.e - the postman in the cul-de-sac bit) undermined the whole thing. Too many Roy Andersson meets The League of Gentlemen bits for me. 

Two major sticking points I had...

i. Am increasing pissed off with "isn't it sad" slices of social commentary from films like this. No it's not sad (the political reality of the last 20 years of western nations bombing the shit out of these countries), it's fucking awful, don't think it's enough to tackle this issue and "mean well" 

ii. The stylisation missed the mark. Oscillated between distant art housiness doing that thing where the dialogue would only ever be spoken in the real world by two parties who had suffered major head injuries, and the aforementioned postman type wacky vignettes. The photography WAS lovely, but got a bit tired quickly when it was obvious the director was trying to frame everything in that kitch post-Wes Anderson manner which turns everything into a Cath Kidston advert. 

Didn't hate it, thought the central relationship was very good, filled with subtext that wasn't overly explained into your face. But ultimately knew this wasn't for me by the time the wacky couple from the 'funny' scene at the beginning done another patronising thing to show us who's good and who is bad.

5/10

2 minutes ago, Christophe said:

Don't think this delivered. Thought the bits played for laughs (i.e - the postman in the cul-de-sac bit) undermined the whole thing. Too many Roy Andersson meets The League of Gentlemen bits for me. 

Two major sticking points I had...

i. Am increasing pissed off with "isn't it sad" slices of social commentary from films like this. No it's not sad (the political reality of the last 20 years of western nations bombing the shit out of these countries), it's fucking awful, don't think it's enough to tackle this issue and "mean well" 

ii. The stylisation missed the mark. Oscillated between distant art housiness doing that thing where the dialogue would only ever be spoken in the real world by two parties who had suffered major head injuries, and the aforementioned postman type wacky vignettes. The photography WAS lovely, but got a bit tired quickly when it was obvious the director was trying to frame everything in that kitch post-Wes Anderson manner which turns everything into a Cath Kidston advert. 

Didn't hate it, thought the central relationship was very good, filled with subtext that wasn't overly explained into your face. But ultimately knew this wasn't for me by the time the wacky couple from the 'funny' scene at the beginning done another patronising thing to show us who's good and who is bad.

5/10

I'm not sure I agree with you, I didn't feel like it made out that the whole situation is anything more than reality, however all the characters were sad and I think that's appropriate and realistic, they are in a holding pen with no money waiting to hear if they are going to be thrown back to the wolves I don't think any other emotion than sad would feel appropriate.

I'm not sure about the dialogue, it was meant to be between people who had learnt English recently or spoke very little meaning it would be weird if it was perfect.

The filming I thought was good although I get what you mean about Catch Kidston, everything until the final scene played on it being filmed in a perfect square with everything being symmetrical which is what made the last scene so nice. Imo.

The Conspiritor

James McAvoy was a captain in the northern army during the US civil war who after the war returns to being a lawyer. Following the assassination of Abraham Lincoln he reluctantly agrees to defend the only female suspected of being one of the conspiritors.....8/10.

The Marksman

Liam Neeson is a rancher on the  Arizona border who takes a young Mexican boy under his wing who is being pursued into the US following his family crossing a drugs cartel. Wasn't expecting much from this and it was quite predictable but ended up enjoying it.....7/10.

Nowhere Special

James Norton is a single dad bringing up his 4 year old son alone after his mother walked out soon after his birth. The father has cancer with just a few months to live and is searching for a suitable family to adopt his son after his death. Norton is tremendous as is Daniel Lamont who plays the wee boy. Based on a true story, this one brought a tear to my eye at the end.........9/10.

Free Fire (2016)

Very silly (not sure how intentional) heistish movie. Like Reservoir Dogs meets Die Hard but no where nearbas good as that sounds. Thin idea and unsurprising plot, but well executed. Not an ounce of fat on it. 

The characters are quite caricaturish but the quality of the acting and the pace makes them work. The South African lad out of District 9 is great again. The Seventies styling looks great, feels authentic and makes it feel abit like a Seventies film, which is a good thing. 

Overall very entertaining but just too silly. 6/10.