What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

5 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

I still don't understand how the aliens can burst out of chests and after a single moult be 8ft tall in 20 minutes.

In the first few, you got the impression that a few hours (at least) had passed since the bursting. Not a lot better in terms of realism, but the speedy turnaround made them seem even more terrifying in the originals. It felt like the facehuggers were attached to people for a lot longer too.

Presumably for pacing reasons, they're keen to make the whole process almost instantaneous now; maybe it seems fine for people who are new to the series, but it feels silly to me, like if Romero had made another Dead sequel and suddenly all the zombies were running and jumping everywhere. You can get away with stuff like that in reboots, but the whole suspension of disbelief thing collapses when you ignore rules that were already established. The Alien series has been pretty poor for remembering that.

10 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

I still don't understand how the aliens can burst out of chests and after a single moult be 8ft tall in 20 minutes.

They definitely have played fast and loose with the time between getting impregnated and the beastie bursting out and how long it takes to become fully grown in most of the films post Alien 3.

In this one they do make some vague statement about messing about with them, so you are maybe supposed to assume that the gestation has been sped up for reasons.

They also show what happens between it moulting from the wee chestburster to becoming fully grown in this one, which I can't remember ever seeing in any of the films before.

Watched the original Planet of The Apes for the first time last night.

Enjoyable, albeit cheesy/hammy acting fairly often (even down to how folk moved at times), and a bit daft, but decent.

However, thanks to The Simpsons, I burst out laughing when Dr Zaius was first on screen and couldn't stop for a good couple of minutes.

Have committed to watching the other original ones now (they're all on Disney Plus, along with the 2001 abomination and the re-boot ones, including the dull, pointless, most recent one).

Edited by DA Baracus

12 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

They also show what happens between it moulting from the wee chestburster to becoming fully grown in this one, which I can't remember ever seeing in any of the films before.

Knowing HR Giger, you'd probably have guessed 'wall vagina' TBF.

Once again though, this all took place within about twenty minutes in the movie. It would actually have seemed more plausible to just have the alien have a massive growth spurt and rip through its own skin.

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Watched the original Planet of The Apes for the first time last night.

Enjoyable, albeit cheesy/hammy acting fairly often (even down to how folk moved at times), and a bit daft, but decent.

However, thanks to The Simpsons, I burst out laughing when Dr Zaius was first on screen and couldn't stop for a good couple of minutes.

I just found a copy of the book in a charity shop. Been meaning to read that for a long time.

Some of the sequels are worth watching, especially Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (IMO). I remember Beneath the Planet of the Apes being dull, but worth watching for the abrupt end that kinda implies they'd no interest in making any further films  :P

Spoiler

pms4gwek4v191.gif

27 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Once again though, this all took place within about twenty minutes in the movie. It would actually have seemed more plausible to just have the alien have a massive growth spurt and rip through its own skin.

I just found a copy of the book in a charity shop. Been meaning to read that for a long time.

Some of the sequels are worth watching, especially Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (IMO). I remember Beneath the Planet of the Apes being dull, but worth watching for the abrupt end that kinda implies they'd no interest in making any further films  :P

Hide contents

pms4gwek4v191.gif

That was Chuck Heston's stipulation for appearing in the sequel. He wanted his character to die as he had no desire to continue doing sequels. 

Nuking the planet seemed a sensible way to achieve both. 

Eta: "Wall Vagina". Wid. 

Edited by KnightswoodBear

52 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Hide contents

pms4gwek4v191.gif

Just watched that one. 

It was pish and made little sense, even in the context of damn dirty apes firing around with machine guns and weird fetus faced humans singing oddly hypnotic hymns whilst each wearing their own equivalent of the 'Two Weeks' mask from Total Recall, all whilst we are treated to comical walls of fire and telepathic warfare, set amid the Fallout esque ruins of part of the New York underground.

No breakdancing in this one though.

f**king hell, Escape From The Planet of the Apes is so pish. Makes me want to escape from this silly venture of watching all the old Apes films.

Just what the f**k is this shite? It's such poor nonsense that doesn't know itself what it wants to be. 

Is it a daft comedy? The scenes with Zira and Cornelius firing about in human clothes then Zira getting pished would suggest so. But is it some sort of commentary on society? Much of the plot thinks it could be!

It was only an hour and half but I felt like I travelled as much time as the eponymous apes did.

Also, what a f**king bleak ending.

8 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

f**king hell, Escape From The Planet of the Apes is so pish. Makes me want to escape from this silly venture of watching all the old Apes films.

Just what the f**k is this shite? It's such poor nonsense that doesn't know itself what it wants to be. 

Is it a daft comedy? The scenes with Zira and Cornelius firing about in human clothes then Zira getting pished would suggest so. But is it some sort of commentary on society? Much of the plot thinks it could be!

It was only an hour and half but I felt like I travelled as much time as the eponymous apes did.

Also, what a f**king bleak ending.

Aye, I remember that as being the worst one, and Beneath is pretty bad. Doesn't even fit tonally with the others.

My favourite is up next, then Battle is OK (from what I recall), but you'll be glad when you reach the end and know there are no more.

The remakes/reboots are so much better that there's no comparison, even the one with Marky Mark.

I like Beneath and Escape. The former is a big pile of mad, which I like, while the latter is a completely different film, but hard not to enjoy because the characters are so relatable. I think the series starts to lose its way with Conquest, and Battle is my least favourite.

I like all the ones from the new franchise but still think the original Planet is the best.

I've never seen the Tim Burton remake and not sure I will ever bother, haven't heard good things about it.

Salem's Lot (1979):

It's up there with "Dracula" (1931), "Fright Night" (1985), "Fright Night 2" (1989), "Near Dark" (1987) and "The Lost Boys" (1987) and still as scary as hell.

Who would've though a scene of a child floating through a window would still rank as the scariest moment in movie history.

Plus it shows that the late 70s/80s owned Vampire movies.

6 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I've never seen the Tim Burton remake and not sure I will ever bother, haven't heard good things about it.

You've missed out on one of the main characters making out with an ape.

Dunno how Helena Bonham-Carter stomached it TBH.

Edit: Salem's Lot is really remarkably good, considering it's a TV movie. Up there with Duel at the top of the genre (before the streaming services started making their own content, obviously). For some reason I thought some of the Apes movies had been made for TV, but I guess not.

Edited by BFTD

18 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Aye, I remember that as being the worst one, and Beneath is pretty bad. Doesn't even fit tonally with the others.

My favourite is up next, then Battle is OK (from what I recall), but you'll be glad when you reach the end and know there are no more.

The remakes/reboots are so much better that there's no comparison, even the one with Marky Mark.

Glad to hear it picks up.

Aye the remakes/reboots are good, although the most recent one was dull.

14 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I like Beneath and Escape. The former is a big pile of mad, which I like, while the latter is a completely different film, but hard not to enjoy because the characters are so relatable. I think the series starts to lose its way with Conquest, and Battle is my least favourite.

I like all the ones from the new franchise but still think the original Planet is the best.

Don't watch the early 2000s remake! It's remarkably bad.

10 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Don't watch the early 2000s remake! It's remarkably bad.

I don't know if this is just me being weird, but I have a wee mental list of bad films that I'll occasionally put on in the background while doing other things, and that Planet of the Apes film is on it.

Actually, there are a couple of Marky Mark films on rotation. The Happening gets watched once or twice a year; it's so bad in every way that it has to have been deliberate.

I assume it's common knowledge but I always thought it was interesting that the bloke who wrote the novel on which "Planet of the Apes" is based also wrote "The Bridge On The River Kwai". They just seem an unlikely pairing.

Has anyone read the POTA book and, if so, is it worth reading?

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Old (2021) Is this a bad film made well or a good film made badly or a bad film made badly? I can't tell. It's weird and I think it could have been a much better kind of weird if it wasn't made by someone who had to shoehorn in really contrived explanations for what was going on. 

The Thing (1982) (Watched twice) Maybe I just noticed the second time but nobody seemed... scared. If this was made now there'd be one guy sat rocking in the corner, gibbering and screaming a lot. Good special effects. Good location. Could have been scarier.

The World is Not Enough (1999) This is really, really, really stupid. 

Aftersun (2022) (Watched twice) Woman watches holiday video from her youth. Sad. Good. I somehow went back too late and too soon for my second viewing.

9 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Has anyone read the POTA book and, if so, is it worth reading?

Not yet - I'll get back to you.

It's really short, though. Must only be about 200 pages or so.

3 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Old (2021) Is this a bad film made well or a good film made badly or a bad film made badly? I can't tell. It's weird and I think it could have been a much better kind of weird if it wasn't made by someone who had to shoehorn in really contrived explanations for what was going on. 

The Thing (1982) (Watched twice) Maybe I just noticed the second time but nobody seemed... scared. If this was made now there'd be one guy sat rocking in the corner, gibbering and screaming a lot. Good special effects. Good location. Could have been scarier.

The World is Not Enough (1999) This is really, really, really stupid. 

Aftersun (2022) (Watched twice) Woman watches holiday video from her youth. Sad. Good. I somehow went back too late and too soon for my second viewing.

Old is just very Shyamalan, isn't it? I don't think he ever really makes traditionally 'good' films anymore, but they're always a bit mental, often with daft character motivations/dialogue/acting, and chuck in a daft twist. It's like he's invented a genre all to himself; shit, but entertaining.

In The Thing, Fuchs seemed like he was pretty terrified before...well, you know...and Windows was a gibbering wreck at one point. Blair had a full-blown mental breakdown and had to be locked up, before making himself a hangman's noose. Quite a few of them looked pretty scared at various points, even Childs. Bear in mind that you'd probably need to have a bit of mental strength to be part of an Antarctic research project anyway.

6 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

This is the middle film.  There is also The Thing from Another World (1951) and The Thing (2011).

10 hours ago, BFTD said:

Not yet - I'll get back to you.

It's really short, though. Must only be about 200 pages or so.

Old is just very Shyamalan, isn't it? I don't think he ever really makes traditionally 'good' films anymore, but they're always a bit mental, often with daft character motivations/dialogue/acting, and chuck in a daft twist. It's like he's invented a genre all to himself; shit, but entertaining.

In The Thing, Fuchs seemed like he was pretty terrified before...well, you know...and Windows was a gibbering wreck at one point. Blair had a full-blown mental breakdown and had to be locked up, before making himself a hangman's noose. Quite a few of them looked pretty scared at various points, even Childs. Bear in mind that you'd probably need to have a bit of mental strength to be part of an Antarctic research project anyway.

Just one of them yelling WHAT THE f**k IS THAT THING is all I wanted.

2 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Just one of them yelling WHAT THE f**k IS THAT THING is all I wanted.

They're probably always stumbling upon weird aliens in the ice. I mean, their base is probably just down the road from the Mountains of Madness.