What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Juno

9/10. I thoroughly enjoyed the film, the soundtrack is fantastic and it is very funny in bits. The lassie who plays Juno is a cracking actress too, and Michael Cera puts in a stellar performance too.

Transformers

10/10 Can't get enough of that film. Made me laughing all the way through it, especially with the lead's one liners. I hope they make another one, although I'm not quite sure how they could.

Duel - 8/10. Fantastic Jaws blueprint. The truck is a satisfyingly sinister villain and shares the shark's dinosaur death roar.

Raiders of the Lost Ark - 10/10. Stuck this on after seeing the trailer for the new one. A sublime adventure. If anyone doubts the merits of the new movie or Harrison Ford's age then they should listen to Dr Jones himself when he states:

"It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage."

Control - Just in from seeing the film and I was very impressed.

Anyone whose ever read the NME will be familiar with Anton Corbijn's occasionally stunning photography and here he uses monochrome to superb effect, making Macclesfield look every part of the grimy Northern England mill town it is. It's a bit like a modern day take on the "kitchen sink" dramas of the 60s.

Sam Riley gives an excellent performance as Curtis and the other members of the band are also superb as they played all the music themselves rather than mime to a backing track. This was interesting as what you get is almost like a tribute act playing alternative versions of the songs we are familiar with. Tony Kebble provides several moments of real laugh-out-loud humour in playing their manager, Rob Gretton.

Some minor criticisms are that the film focuses so much on Curtis that the other members of the band, Gretton and Tony Wilson are almost like bit players and I really didn't see the point of playing The Killers doing a cover version of Shadowplay over the end credits.

Fans will love it I'm sure and even non-fans should enjoy it. 8/10

Watched it again last night on DVD. Not much more to add other than it doesn't suffer too much on the "small screen". I don't have an HD/Blu Ray but watched it upscaled to 1080i with an HDMI connect and the B&W cinematography is just as superb.

In hindsight I think the Killers doing "Shadowplay" was to highlight the influence JD have to this day. Still a shite version of the song though.

The extras on the disk are few but good...a commentary by Corbijn, a "making of" plus trailer and full/extended versions of the 4 actors playing JD doing "Transmission", "Candidate" and"Day of the Lords" (IIRC)

There Will Be Blood 10/10

Daniel Day Lewis is just mesmerising in this. The moments when he's not saying anything, but you can see he's studying someone and scheming away underneath are just amazing.

It's one of those films that you come away from, and you know that you just seen something really special. The supporting cast are also top notch, but from the opening scene to the last it Lewis's film.

I need to go and see it again.

Magnolia

I just can't find fault with this one. An absolute gem, but with the cast that it has, you can't really expect anything else. Probably one of my favourite movies.

10/10

God, I hated that movie. For me it just fell flat on most counts, despite a great performance from Tom Cruise.

Anderson redeemed himself with There Will Be Blood though.

Dead Man's Shoes - 8/10

Brilliant. The lead actor (Paddy Considine) is immense, truly terrifiying as you know he won't give up until he's exacted his revenge.

The scene where one of the "gang" sees the "elephant thing" for the first time, is frightening too.

Dead Man's Shoes - 8/10

Brilliant. The lead actor (Paddy Considine) is immense, truly terrifiying as you know he won't give up until he's exacted his revenge.

The scene where one of the "gang" sees the "elephant thing" for the first time, is frightening too.

You should watch A Room for Romeo Brass (10/10), Paddy Considine is different class in it.

"Gone"

Fairly low budget yarn about a young Scouse couple who are travelling through Australia, and meet a seemingly friendly American who ends up terrorizing them, blah blah.

Very hackneyed, and poorly scripted, and one of those films you can hardly hear a lot of the dialogue because the protagonists mumble a lot of the time.

Nice idea, but it's been done better.

4/10

Death Sentence (2007)

7/10

Good gritty thriller, with great roles played by John Goodman, Garrett Hedlund and even Kevin Bacon. Would have been an 8, but I really hate Kevin Bacon!

A far better effort by Wan than his previous directorial heap of shite! Ah well, Meat Loaf did say that 2 out of 3 ain't bad, didn't he? :lol:

It's awesome, I went on a reccomendation, without much idea of what to expect. It turned out to be the bestthing I've seen at the cinema in years.

Watched it this evening. Was a bit disappointed given all the positive reviews. Thought it dragged a bit.

Cloverfield.

Finally went to see this tonight.

Absolutely brilliant movie. One of the best in the 'monster' genre I've ever seen.

I don't think it would really work anywhere apart from the cinema, however. Unless you've got a cinema in yer hoose that is. The sound effects were a huge part of the film.

Brilliantly made, and it gave the feeling that it could all actually happen, despite how ridiculous it is when you think about it.

Quality cinema entertainment.

9/10