What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

I enjoyed Cloverfield. Surprised to see it get so many duff reviews on here, as most other people I've spoken to really liked it. I felt it lost its way in the last 20 minutes and the ending was definitely poor, but I thought the atmosphere of panic was conveyed especially well and at times it was an assault on the senses which didn't really feel like a film at all.

The voices in the end credits are interesting as they apparently also say it's alive.

Apparently so. From this month's Empire magazine:

At the credits ending of Cloverfield, *spoilers* the audio from the video cam says, "Help us!".

But when played backwards, it says, "It's still alive!" This happens after the end credits

of Cloverfield. Assuming the speaker was Rob, he suggests Cloverfield (the monster)

is still alive. This also suggests a sequel for Cloverfield 2! *Spoilers*

The Japanese oil company TAGRUATO drops a satellite (Chimpanz III) into the ocean as part

of viral marketing (shown at the end of the movie when Rob and Beth were on the ferris wheel).

TAGRUATO works with SLUSHO (a slush company), as the main ingredient for SLUSHO is found

at the satellite dropzone (deep ocean). While searching for satellite and ingredients, they

woke Cloverfield (the monster).

People who were at the party in the beginning of the movie, were seen wearing SLUSHO shirts.

Rob apparently was going to be the Vice President of TAGRUATO in Japan.

The main ingredient of Slusho apparently turns a tiny fish into a HUGE whale in Ganu's (he found the nectar) dream, which explains the size of Cloverfield. *Update* The main ingredient is a deep sea nectar.

*Update* Because the ingredient was discovered on the deep ocean floor, under amazing

pressure and in the most extreme cold, Ganu knew he had to serve the ingredient in a

near frozen state to preserve its freshness. Thus the idea of Slush (Slusho)!

For animals/fishes/insects to survive in the deepest ocean (very high boiling temperature),

they naturally have very high heat resistance. This explains how Cloverfield is able to

withstand numerous bombs and attacks from the army.

Cloverfield refers to the field formerly known as Central Park. Clovers are

usually prone to grow at places after bombing. Thus the term "Clover" and "field" referring to park.

*Update* Slusho is a very addictive drink, with signs of steroid drug like effects. Makes

people stronger, constantly happy, have happy dreams and finally... "SLUSHO

makes my stomach explode with happy!!" (Remember Marlena's stomach?)

Someone also put together all the teaser / backstory stuff in this thread:

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt1060277/board/thread/95403747 (you need to register with imdb to see it mind, doesn't take long at all)

Edited by BalhamPar

Watched both Atonement (7/10) and Superbad (6.5/10) last night.

Atonement was decent. It's a great looking film and unusually structured, but in many ways it reminds me of an old movie and not just because of the period in which it was set. Loads of clever wee touches in it as well.

Superbad had tons of laugh out loud moments, but they don't come fast and furious enough and it's too long (they could have cut about 30 mins from the film). The first two thirds of the film are really good, but the last third drags and it seems like the director can't come to a decent conclusion.

Absolutely, its my second favourite film of all time (after Sexy Beast). Paddy Considine is phenomenal in it.

It's certainly extremely intense.

Just watched Death of a President, and it's patently rubbish, but at the same time, strangely compulsive. Odd film. 6/10

Apocalypto

What the hell is this ? An overly long chase movie with a crappy ending that seemingly negates everything that came before. Load of crap, with the only positive coming from a pretty good performance from the lead.

1/10

Apocalypto

What the hell is this ? An overly long chase movie with a crappy ending that seemingly negates everything that came before. Load of crap, with the only positive coming from a pretty good performance from the lead.

1/10

Yip, utter shite. I rated it a bit higher as it's well made, despite the pointlessness of the plot and boredom of most of it!

The Darjeeling Limited. A Wes Anderson movie, which will either delight or utterly bewilder. I love his stuff, and thought this was another strangely poignant comedy. Excellent cast and script, and with a point to make to. 7/10

Another movie - at least the fifth - released last year that I prefer to any of the Best Movie nominations at the Oscars.