What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Agree wi most of that.

Scores so low 'cos it was pretty boring and i didn't like any character, and i hated the old guy and Hartnett's wee brother!

Quite a refreshing ending though.

4.5/10

I'd agree with both of you, not very scary and quite predictable.

The only part I'd disagree with is about the ending being refreshing. I don't want to ruin it for anyone, so all I'll say is that I thought it was daft.

Into The Wild

A nice wee movie. When things get a bit slow, another wee part of the story begins, and so it goes. It's also assisted with a great wee soundtrack. The cameo from Hal Holbrook is the best thing in the movie though. A wee bit overly sentimental, but it's a cracking movie, and even though it runs at about two and a half hours, it doesn't overstay it's welcome.

7/10

EDIT : Apologies for overuse of the word wee.

Edited by DomDom

Guest Hampden Ton

One of my work colleagues provided me with some discount (ahem) DVD's the other day, none of which I'd seen before:

I Am Legend

I'm not Will Smith's biggest fan, but I did enjoy this (then again, I don't like Charlton Heston but I still enjoyed 'The Omega Man'). He does a good job as the last man alive in New York, with some very good scenes that remind us of how he has kept himself sane. The scenes of the deserted New York city streets are awesome, but the CGI animals are poor. I was glad however that they didn't go for the complete 'Hollywood ending' (its the same outcome as 'The Omega Man', just a different way of doing so). Highlights are the creepy stakeout of the warehouse and basically any scene with the dog in it - it steals the whole show! Definitely worth a watch!

Cloverfield

With all the hype, I expected so much more. Quite a disappointing film, and I can't help wondering how much better it could have been had it not been all hand-held. It has characters you couldn't care less about (you can skip the first 20 minutes and not miss a thing, as its a couple planning a day out then people having a party) and you need reminding now and again that it is a monster movie. Granted, its a new approach, but what worked for the Blair Witch Project, didn't work here. BWP was all atmosphere and imagination, which worked a treat, but for a monster movie, I want to see the monster!!! If there's a sequel, I will be in no rush to see it.

Aliens vs Predator Requiem

This was slated by the critics but this movie does exactly what it says on the tin! I rate this higher than Cloverfield! (Yes! I'm serious!!) I for one thought the first AvP was ok, but I always felt it could have been so much better if the director had the guts to show guts! This movie is almost a gorefest, with nothing left to the imagination! It throws the movie taboos out of the window, and on more than one occasion, I found myself saying, "Surely not....oh!". For fans of the franchise, you won't be hailing it as the second coming, but you will appreciate that it is no holds barred. Yes, the acting is poor and you couldn't care less about the humans, but this movie does have 'Aliens vs Predator' in its title for a reason. Not for the faint at heart, and for those feeling brave (especially the girls!), be warned: when the big bad Alien enters the hospital, you might not want to look...

One of my work colleagues provided me with some discount (ahem) DVD's the other day, none of which I'd seen before:

This was slated by the critics but this movie does exactly what it says on the tin! I rate this higher than Cloverfield! (Yes! I'm serious!!) I for one thought the first AvP was ok, but I always felt it could have been so much better if the director had the guts to show guts! This movie is almost a gorefest, with nothing left to the imagination! It throws the movie taboos out of the window, and on more than one occasion, I found myself saying, "Surely not....oh!". For fans of the franchise, you won't be hailing it as the second coming, but you will appreciate that it is no holds barred. Yes, the acting is poor and you couldn't care less about the humans, but this movie does have 'Aliens vs Predator' in its title for a reason. Not for the faint at heart, and for those feeling brave (especially the girls!), be warned: when the big bad Alien enters the hospital, you might not want to look...

Awful, awful film. And the scene you're talking about was on of the poorest taste things i've seen for a while in a film. There's breaking movie taboos, and just being sick for the sake of it.

It has characters you couldn't care less about (you can skip the first 20 minutes and not miss a thing, as its a couple planning a day out then people having a party) and you need reminding now and again that it is a monster movie.

I didn't need any reminding after the first attack. It was pretty much full speed ahead. Even the stupid stories with the uninteresting characters linked directly with the horror that was coming up.

I Am Legend

Cloverfield

Can do a much more simpler review. All shit.

The Invasion (2007)

Daniel Craig, please just don't ever act in anything where your face can be seen! You are awful at irony, sarcasm and insincerity!

What a terrible remake... I knew it wouldn't be very good as it wasn't a horror cast and your two main characters are a Nicole Kidman (born in the States, I know) and Daniel Craig in a film set in the States. But dear God, what a load of nonsense!

Points for Daniel Craig getting shot, and the funny looking Asian-American kid getting knocked out by Nicole Kidman.

3/10

Surely that Daniel Craig thing is a spoiler.

Not really, it doesn't say why he is shot, or by who.

Or if you're meaning the Daniel Craig can't act thing, I'd hope people already know that.

The Longest Day - 8/10

Exceptionally badly acted (yes you John Wayne) but it's the film that Saving Private Ryan fails miserably to beat in terms of excitement and tension.

"Can't anyone read a compass in this outfit"

"There it is men, Omaha beach"

"I heard two clicks"

and the quote that I use more than any other quote from any other film -

"hold until relieved, hold until relieved"

Some really good stuff in this, and also some ridiculous stuff as well. The climax is Samuel L Jackson at his very best. The ending that comes straight after is just pathetic. I've seen this movie get slated all over the place, but I ain't gonna follow that lead. Very enjoyable stuff, even if most of it is "same old shit".

6/10

Vampire in Brooklyn (1995)

The second film of Wes Craven's 6 year 'comedy' period, this, New Nightmare and the Scream trilogy. All of which were pretty good and it gets the same score as the rest (bar Scream 3 which was shite!)

Craven and Murphy are a good combination!

7/10

Apocalypse Now (1979)

The horror.

The horror.

10/10

Boogeyman 2 (2007) (V)

Far better than it had any right to be, considering how bad the remake (of the original Boogeyman) was.

It had elements of Saw, Halloween, Hellraiser, NoES and Scream, and with Tobin Bell providing the acting ability you know you're going to get a pretty good film for a straight to video effort.

Surprised to be saying this but 7/10

EDIT - those fucking Aussies stole my vowels!

Commando (1985)

I loved the cheesiness of this, more so than Scream. The death line for the last guy was especially naff "Let off some steam", I mean dear God, that is cheesy!

Have to give it a higher score than Scream, so - 8/10

Constantine (2005)

A very good movie, and considering how bad some movies based around the subject have been (Revelation, etc) it was very well made. Sadly the last twenty minutes felt a bit tacky, and that annoying bitch Tilda Swinton didn't die which was very disappointing.

Slightly disturbing that they kept talking about "Revelations" though! :lol:

7/10

Troy (2004)

Far better than the nonsense that was Gladiator, and aside from people being called Greeks, which is far too late in history was pretty good historically. (Aside from a few minor things)

Pitt and Bloom were very good, as usual. Slightly worrying though to see the Undertaker's bitch Nathan Jones as the first guy that Achilles kills!

8/10

Have you ever given a good review of a movie? They 3 movies were actually really good in my book.

That's just from this page and the last.

For the record...

I Am Legend - 5/10 (So shit was a bit harsh)

Cloverfield and AvP:R both 1/10 (both utter shite)

16 Blocks

An action movie with lots of action, and not much else. The story is excellent. The real down point is Mos Def, who has a shitty accent ( is it his own ? ) and he talks all sorts of crap whenever he's on screen. Some rather nifty sequences during this to show how smart Bruce Willis' character is. All in all, I enjoyed this.

7/10

30 Days of Night (2007)

Don't know quite how to rate this, so I'll talk myself in to it. It's either crap or shit, difficult to pick!

The ending was just stupid for a start, I'm so pleased that you gave your humanity to safe my life that I'll hug you onto you die. Deleted sick but obvious Tommy Burns joke, RIP.

Why did Hartnett behead the guy who's child his brother had killed? Why not use him as bait??

Melissa George has fairly deteriorated since 2003 in Friends!

Bonus point for the chattering cenobite becoming a vampire.

I'll use a list of similar films to decide where to place it...

Hellborn 1

Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter 2

Return of the Living Dead 3

Alien v Predator 4

From that list 3.5/10 seems fair, so as I only give full marks... 4/10

Monsters, Inc. (2001)

Up there in my top five* animated movies with Ice Age, Lion King, Finding Nemo and Happy Feet.

Really funny and just a nice film.

8/10

*Note: I have 18 other animated films here that I haven't watched so that may change.*

21 Grams

A movie which is all over the place when it has absolutely no need to be. I think the makers must have decided to try and be cool and swap some stuff around, and it made the movie worse than it should have been, because the different stories are very good, and they meet in pretty dramatic fashion. As usual, I'm going to point out one awesome performance. Benicio Del Toro. Absolutely terrific. Don't let the score I'm about to give fool you. I'd HAVE to recommend this movie. It's just a shame it's so badly flawed.

6/10

21 Grams

A movie which is all over the place when it has absolutely no need to be. I think the makers must have decided to try and be cool and swap some stuff around, and it made the movie worse than it should have been, because the different stories are very good, and they meet in pretty dramatic fashion. As usual, I'm going to point out one awesome performance. Benicio Del Toro. Absolutely terrific. Don't let the score I'm about to give fool you. I'd HAVE to recommend this movie. It's just a shame it's so badly flawed.

6/10

Naomi Watts' nipples must be worth two bonus points. At least.