What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Hangover 2 - 7/10

Obviously didn't match up to the first one, which I went to see in the pictures expecting a decent film and ended up witnessing one of the funniest I've seen. Going into this expecting a bit much perhaps, but it still has its moments even though the story is virtually the same. Characters of Alan & Mr. Chow always raise a laugh, but I hope they don't take it any further than this now.

Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story - 7.5/10

Seen it before but its still watchable after a couple of viewings, and you can still pick up wee jokes you haven't seen before. Utter madness but still really good.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Too long and boring. I also didn't understand how when he was young (in terms of age) his body was growing, but when he was older his body was becoming a baby. Cate Blanchett wasn't even that hot.

4/10

Brick (2005)

US high school drama about drug deals, murder and violence. Starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Lukas Haas and set in California, but it feels strangely British, very dark grimy feel to it which anyone who has seen a Ray Winstone film on this subject would recognise.

Really draws you in, despite the over-reliance on convenience with the holes in the story being handily filled in with no real explanation of how the information was found...

8/10

Watched this last night.

Still can't decide if I loved it or hated it.

Acting was really solid. Thought Joseph Gordon-Levitt was brilliant. Been impressed with him having recently seen Inception and 500 Days of Summer.

As you say thou there are gaping holes in the plot.

Will have to think about it more or watch it again before I give it a score.

Rocky (1976)

First time I've seen this, having only previously seen Rocky Balboa, and it didn't disappoint in terms of it being a good film. However, it was nothing like the great film that I was expecting, and the Oscar was generous to say the least (The Omen is a far better film).

To be honest, in terms of the actual story the recent film was far more interesting, but I did prefer the fight and the emotion surrounding it better in this one.

7/10

Rocky (1976)

First time I've seen this, having only previously seen Rocky Balboa, and it didn't disappoint in terms of it being a good film. However, it was nothing like the great film that I was expecting, and the Oscar was generous to say the least (The Omen is a far better film).

To be honest, in terms of the actual story the recent film was far more interesting, but I did prefer the fight and the emotion surrounding it better in this one.

7/10

I love all the Rocky films, except V, but the first and last would make for great back to back viewing.

X-Men: First Class

cracking film, McAvoy (Prof X) Fassbender (Magneto) and Kevin Bacon (Sebastian Shaw) are absolutely fantastic in their roles, perhaps even more so when they were trying to play parts originally done by Patrick Stewart and Sir Ian McKellen yet really pull it off and make the characters feel their own. Plot-wise there isn't too much to say as it is fairly obvious what happens,

Prof meets magneto, get on well, defeat baddy and fall out

(incase you really didn't want to know)

but yet the film still remains gripping, my favourite x-men film so far and i enjoyed the first 3 quite a bit..

9/10

The Hangover: Part II

Meh, I didn't enjoy this as much as the first one. A few funny, actual laugh-out-loud moments, and a few bits which were just not funny at all. Some bits were utterly pointless and stupid, such as the monastery scene.

5/10 because I'm comparing it to the first one.

I gave it a second viewing, completely ignoring the fist film and it goes up to a 6.5/10

Edited by yoda

X-Men: First Class

cracking film, McAvoy (Prof X) Fassbender (Magneto) and Kevin Bacon (Sebastian Shaw) are absolutely fantastic in their roles, perhaps even more so when they were trying to play parts originally done by Patrick Stewart and Sir Ian McKellen yet really pull it off and make the characters feel their own. Plot-wise there isn't too much to say as it is fairly obvious what happens,

Prof meets magneto, get on well, defeat baddy and fall out

(incase you really didn't want to know)

but yet the film still remains gripping, my favourite x-men film so far and i enjoyed the first 3 quite a bit..

9/10

Yeah it was pretty good, I'm gonna go into more depth in the comic book movies' thread.

get him to the greek, wasnt expecting much, but i thought it was pretty funny, 7/10

Same and I really enjoyed it. Big fan of Jonah Hill after Superbad and Russell Brand has his moments ( Big Fat Quiz of the Year ) and they worked well together. Favourite line was when Brand had just hit his arm and their driving to the Greek. Jonah was freaking out while Russell looked at his arm casually and said, 'I have sustained an injury.' :lol:

7.5/10

Kill Bill: vol 1 8.5/10

Absolutely brilliant, never get tired of this. Prefer the second, and would recommend watching back to back wherever possible. First one just put me in the mood to watch the second.

Mona Lisa Smile (2003)

Not normally the sort of thing I would watch, especially not given it has the awful Julia Roberts in it, but it worked pretty well.

Set in an exclusive all girls college (one of the Seven Sisters) in the 1950s; where the girls are basically trained to be, and to aspire to be, married women. Julia Roberts basically has to make the students see that being married is not the be all and end all for them, and to aspire to be more.

My favourite German, Kirsten Dunst, is brilliant as an upper class bitch.

The story works well, and it's delivered well... even by Roberts!

8/10

Demon Under Glass (Video 2002)

Low $1m budget film that seems like it is a horror, but I can't honestly classify it like that.

A serial killer has killed half a dozen prostitutes, who turns out a be a vampire and taken into medical custody to experiment on him and find out any information that can be garnered from him via various tests, ethical and otherwise. English actor Jason Carter does a great job as the sympathetic vampire.

6/10

War of the Worlds 2: The Next Wave (Video 2008)

Firstly, this isn't a straight to video sequel to the Tom Cruise shit-fest that was nominated for THREE Oscars... it's a sequel to the straight-to-video film which came out in the same year.

Starring the guy (C Thomas Howell) who decided in 1986 to pick up a hitcher, then forgot about his troubles with them and picked up another one in 2003. He manages to be more wooden than David Caruso in this mess, which features some of the most ridiculous CGI and the most stupid idea on how to stop the robots ever.

I honestly have no idea what the f**k happened as it gave me a migraine with Howell's vacant look staring right into my very soul and destroying it with every crap bit of dialogue spouted in this crapfest!

1/10

Edited by SaltyTON

Platoon

Pretty good. Loads of famous people in it, Charlie Sheen, Forest Whittaker, Johnny Depp, Willem Dafoe, Tom Berenger and John McGinley(sp, the guy who plays Dr Cox in Scrubs)

It was well made and the story was good, it made me forget(temporarily) that Charlie Sheen isn't a cock thesedays.

Donnie Darko

WTF happened? I don't know, but I enjoyed it. It was a film that kept me interested, trying to establish what was happening but left me none the wiser at the end to what actually happened (even if I do have a couple of theories). Oh and Maggie Gyllenhaal is ridiculously hot in this.

7/10

Donnie Darko

WTF happened? I don't know, but I enjoyed it. It was a film that kept me interested, trying to establish what was happening but left me none the wiser at the end to what actually happened (even if I do have a couple of theories). Oh and Maggie Gyllenhaal is ridiculously hot in this.

7/10

She is fantastic.

Anyway, my take on a few films I've seen recently;

Thor - 6/10. It's decent enough for the most part. Anything away from Earth was enjoyable, but scrap the awful love story please. Kat Dennings is very nice, however.

Hangover 2 - 4/10. I can see it, but I just don't get it. It was just too obvious, and I didn't get anything new from this. A few chuckles and a handful of smiles, but pretty poor.

Attack the Block - 7/10. I know, but I got exactly what I wanted from this. It was ridiculous and funny pretty much throughout. Kept me entertained.

And just back from seeing Senna. I thought it was well constructed and the balance was right; I'm not sure how widely available the backstage footage, particularly of a couple of the drivers' meetings, were but it was really interesting stuff. The San Marino GP was handled very well.

I'm glad I went to see it, but I'm unsure whether someone without an interest in F1 or motorsport would be able to take as much out of it. All the same, 9/10.