What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

D-War (2007)

AKA Dragon Wars.

A Korean film about dragons fighting to try and kill a hot girl because she has some power to kill all the dragons, or something like that... I lost the plot a bit when random quite slug things that had rocket launchers came along...

It's utterly nonsense, and it cost $70m to make despite its "big name" being the lead guy in the US remake of The Ring!

Imagine, if you can, King Kong with dragons, but no big ape, and directed by a Korean Michael Bay. That's pretty much what this is, and they seem to end up in Mordor towards the end.

What the f**k?

2/10

If you had seen the ending surely that was a hint they were gonna make another one when the pilot went onto the plane to spread his disease?

aye a did, but that would then lead on to the Planet of the apes. no need for more

Machete ( 2010 )

8/10

Great fun to be had here. Not one for people who want realism and a challenging plot. Just a guy out for blood and getting plenty of it, and plenty of women and most of 'em topless. I always appreciate an action movie which doesn't take itself too seriously. Robert De Niro was on good form too, and his election campaign videos were hilarious.

Edited by DomDom

Enemy at The Gates

4/10

Could have been a great film about Stalingrad had it concentrated on the actual battle itself. Instead the director took the opportunity to go on an ideological crusade against communism using shite imagery through this film. There were a few good moments when it concentrated on the two snipers going through the mind games against each other and the general warfare in the movie but this was overshadowed by a shite love story in the background.

Enemy at The Gates

4/10

Could have been a great film about Stalingrad had it concentrated on the actual battle itself. Instead the director took the opportunity to go on an ideological crusade against communism using shite imagery through this film. There were a few good moments when it concentrated on the two snipers going through the mind games against each other and the general warfare in the movie but this was overshadowed by a shite love story in the background.

The bit when Joseph Fiennes (I think it's him at least) says that communism will never work because they both love the same women is certainly one of the worst moments in cinematic history.

Anyhoo, I watched The Dark Knight for only then second time last night.

I hadn't seen it since it came out, and it's slightly better than I remember. I do think that Aaron Eckhart makes a poor job at being Two-Face, although he works well as Harvey Dent. However Ledger makes up for that with a great performance as the Joker. Unlike the previous Batman films (which other than the abomination that was "Batman & Robin" I liked) Nolan brings the characters to life, rather than them just being extensions from the comics - I hope that makes sense.

The boat scene, and the moment when the Joker tells the police officer that he knew the guy's friends better than he actually did, are my favourite parts of the film. Bale offers far and away the best portrayal of the Bruce Wayne character there has been IMO.

9/10

The Other Guys - 9/10

I watched this on Sky on Monday morning. I then went into town and bought it that afternoon. I fucking loved this film.

Ferrell and Wahlberg are great together. Wahlberg's character hates Ferrell's but the chemistry they have is a joy to watch. There are too many quotable/funny scenes in the film, but when Ferrell lets Wahlberg into his 'college secret' i thought i was gonna faint from laughing. I don't think i went 5 minutes without laughing at something though. Everyone in the film is on top form. Steve Coogan's "not a bribe" banker, and Michael Keaton with his constant TLC references.

On a par with Anchorman for me. (Yes, that's a good thing)

8/10

Great fun to be had here. Not one for people who want realism and a challenging plot. Just a guy out for blood and getting plenty of it, and plenty of women and most of 'em topless. I always appreciate an action movie which doesn't take itself too seriously. Robert De Niro was on good form too, and his election campaign videos were hilarious.

Machete is the bomb! Jeff Fahey was amazing, as was the Cheech. Aye, De Niro was fantastic. Probably my favourite films from the Grindhouse "franchise" although I've not seen Hobo with a Shotgun.

Spy Kids All The Time In the World.

3/10. It gets bonus for Jessica Alba in tight outfits.

(I'm a projectionist, I have to watch this pish)

The DVD changer? There are very few "projectionists" anymore... :huh:

Hitch Hike to Hell (1977)

A nutter that's obsessed with his mother picks up hitch-hikers, rapes them and kills them for running away from their mothers.

Imagine "Psycho", crossed with a reverse "The Hitcher" with a bit of "The Hillside Strangler" thrown in. Oh, except really, really, shit - with absolutely awful acting!!

2/10

Yip, could be made redundant by October once we are fully digital. Good luck getting a call centre to fix the projector when it fucks up though :)

Yeah, whilst they don't need one person per screen, they certainly need a couple of people to run the machines in case they break down!

The likes of the GFT and the Grosvener should remain the old fashioned way!

Decided to do a double after Machete.

Get Him to the Greek ( 2010 )

Decent concept, very well delivered. Nobody is expected to go outside of their comfort zone, even if P Diddy pulls out an absolute belter as the hardass music mogul. "Now THIS is a game changer!". Russell Brand has enough charisma to pull off his role. All in all, plenty of laughs and a likeable plot makes this a good 'un.

8/10

Predators ( 2010 )

The first section of the movie is a long character development section, but it is held together by the mystique of where they are, which is more than enough to keep the movie rolling along smoothly, and I was delighted to see the old UFC alumni Oleg Taktarov making an appearance in this one. Unfortunately, it's that part of the movie where the strengths lie. It's a decent enough action flick but a lot of it also feels like nonsense and makes it a bit of a chore to care about. Thumbs SLIGHTLY up, but not much more than that.

6/10

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Wasn't expecting too much of this as I'm not a massive fan of the originals, but went along to it with an open mind.

Thought it was really very good. The first hour of the film means that you're firmly on the "side" of the apes, and a barrelload of sympathy is felt for James Franco's character.

Andy Serkis is tremendous once again. It's a travesty that he hasn't been nominated for an Oscar - it's still acting even if you're not reading lines from a script, you know.

A fully deserved 8/10.

The Smurfs - I enjoyed it, some "adultish" jokes, but good family fun, took 2 of the grandchildren + foster son and adopted daughter, and they all enjoyed it, too!

7/10

Edited by Jacksgranda

The Smurfs - I enjoyed it, some "adultish" jokes, but good family fun, took 2 of the grandchildren + foster son and adopted daughter, and they all enjoyed it, too!

7/10

How do they feel about you referring to them as "foster son and adopted daughter" to a bunch of random strangers, who if you had said "son and daughter" wouldn't have known any differently?