What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Before Midnight - A film I can appreciate despite actively not enjoying a lot of it. The whole thing seemed designed to make viewing it uncomfortable - the really long takes, the sound of Ethan Hawke eating an apple on tape, the impending sense of dread etc.It just seemed painfully realistic in portraying marriage/family.

Rather enjoying a mid-20s couple meandering around Vienna but feeling strong anxiety at the portrayal of the middle aged version is probably a blotch test for fear of commitment and probable psychopathy but that's how it went down for me.

I thought this was accurate. The sacrifice that they made to be together caused the separation between Jesee and his son and Celine spotted this early on. I think the love of romantic love is destructive because it always loses its appeal. However the climactic scene didn't really offer a resolution as to set the scene for more rows and more division. I much preferred Before Sunrise but Before Midnight was definitely a realistic portrayal of a relationship that hasn't been nurtured and lacks true love in the shape of painful compromise

The place beyond the Pines 7.5/10

I really enjoyed this, with the structure of cutting the plot into three seperate chronological parts. The last part was a little bit disappointing, but I felt that was more because the first two thirds of it were so excellent that it was hard to match the standard. I still liked the whole cyclical feel I got from it's ending.

Runner Runner

Not a bad wee flick here, it's pretty short (90 minutes) but I don't think that's a bad thing as there isn't a lot of unnecessary shit thrown in - they keep it tight. Affleck is very good, Timberlake is alright.

5.5/10 - I think that's what it would get. It felt like it was just trying to cover the bases in regards to genres, there'd be some action scenes, some dramatic moments, a bit of thriller thrown in there too but it never really committed fully to one which didn't really work.

I watched Apocalypto for the first time last night. I thought it was fascinating if I'm honest. I took it as a given that as it's a historical film directed by Mel Gibson that it wouldn't be entirely historically accurate and that I'd have to do a bit of reading afterwards rather than assume that this was a completely authentic depiction of this culture. That being said, it's good to see this period of history being tackled by a Hollywood film as it's not a subject that Hollywood tends to deal with very often.

It's not a perfect film by any means. The way the film dwells on the happy village community in the opening parts of the film leaves you with no doubt about what is about to happen in the story, so the sudden eruption of violence isn't a massive shock. The murder of someone important to the main character right in front of him feels ripped straight out of Braveheart. Furthermore, as much Gibson effectively shows how brutal these tribes of people were capable of being to one another, he doesn't really balance it out by showing the achievements of this civilization. Also, at the beginning of the film we see the main character working as part of a hunting group track down a tapir. Halfway through the film the tables are turned and he is the one being chased by a pack of hunters and it's a good piece of imagery. However just as they've done this, they forget all about it and essentially turn the main character into Rambo and have him pick off his purseurs one by one and setting, despite the fact he has some serious injuries.

There was a lot in this film that did appeal to me though. Gibson use of slow motion is far more effective here than it was in The Passion of The Christ in my opinion. The upside down point of view shot of the man about to be sacrificed was also really effective in capturing the panic of the man seconds aways from dying. Graphic depictions of violence are to be expected in Mel Gibson films, but it really worked with this subject matter. The scenes with the slaves being transported along the cliff side invoked memories of the opening to Werner Herzog's Aguirre, Wrath of God too and I love that film so kudos to Apocalypto on that.

The ending gets so, so close to being perfect for me just misses but I'll have to use a spoiler tag to explain why.

If the film had just ended on the image of the main character and his purseurs standing on the beach with the Spanish ships approaching the shore then it would have been perfect for me. The image of those ships essentially heralding the apocalypse for these civilizations is a bleak and bitter ending and it just works for me. The main character has escaped so many threats to his life in the film but he's finally faced with one that he can't run away from. The arrival of the Spanish conquistadors and missionaries means the beginning of the end to the life he and all the other natives have ever known and the destruction of large parts of their civilizations. As such the final scene with the main character reunited with his wife and children and the optimism it expresses doesn't work for me.

The ending gets so, so close to being perfect for me just misses but I'll have to use a spoiler tag to explain why.

If the film had just ended on the image of the main character and his purseurs standing on the beach with the Spanish ships approaching the shore then it would have been perfect for me. The image of those ships essentially heralding the apocalypse for these civilizations is a bleak and bitter ending and it just works for me. The main character has escaped so many threats to his life in the film but he's finally faced with one that he can't run away from. The arrival of the Spanish conquistadors and missionaries means the beginning of the end to the life he and all the other natives have ever known and the destruction of large parts of their civilizations. As such the final scene with the main character reunited with his wife and children and the optimism it expresses doesn't work for me.

I had the exact same thoughts on the ending.

Watched This is 40 at the weekend. Found it very funny but that's because I'm (nearly) of that age and can associate with a lot of the situations.

Prisoners ( 2013 )

It's not a bad movie by any stretch, but there's quite a lot wrong with it. I'm not a fan of over the top violence if there's no need for it, and there's times in this movie where you think "what was the point of that exactly?". Especially given the end game they go towards. The dumbness of what goes on at times is ridiculous as well. There's times when you want to go into the screen and give folk a good shake and shout "just use your fucking brains!!!!"

It's still a reasonable way to pass a couple of hours though, and the performances are exceptional.

7/10

I watched the Japanese horror film Audition last night. I'd heard a lot of praise for it and been told to go into it completely cold as it's the best way to experience. Having now seen it I can see why. It's a very, very slow burner, at points you'd be forgiven for questioning whether it is actually a horror film, but when it does finally kick off it truly is brutal.

That ending... Good god that was difficult to watch. What little I've seen of the Saw series has left me faily unimpressed. But the torture scene in this film is intense. Oddly, it wasn't just the wire that freaked me out, the way she just giggles and says "ouch, ouch" each time she inflicts pain on him is terrifying. The way the director practically teases with you with the slightest hope that's all a dream before bringing the film crashing back to reality is borderline sadistic too. :P

The Lone Ranger. Thumbnail review - not as pish as I was expecting. Good running gags from Depp, and a fairly exciting final chase. Weird having Ruth Wilson (loopy bitch from Luther) as the love interest, mind...

At least half an hour too long, though.

The Wedding Singer. Never seen it before very good film 9.5/10.

Did Sandler win an Oscar for this?

Unbelievably not.

Did you know the screenwriter didn't win either?

Edited by Kyle

Marley - 9/10.

I'm not even a Bob Marley fan but I happened to turn this on 5 minutes into it and I was hooked. The passion this guy had was extraordinary. The interviews and historical footage were intertwined perfectly and the stories and testimonies from the interviewees was excellent.

World War Z - 7/10

I loved the book and was intrigued to see how they would turn it into a film.

Apparently the making of this film was a bit of an ordeal with a series of re-shoots, in particular the ending of the film. It seems to me that the final third was the product of this re-shoot and I think it ensured the success of the film. I can see that they somewhat tried to follow the structure of the book so the film, in the first 2/3, seems to be a series of set-pieces to the detriment of the story. The final third manages to bring it all together. The alternative edning was a full-on battle in the Russia steppe and, going by some of the scenes you see in the final credits, I think it would have been a disaster. I reckon there will be sequels as the film was ultimately profitable. I think they can make future films better with a greater attempt to ensure a clearer narrative across the set-pieces and greater confidence in the zombie action.

Pitch Perfect - 6/10

"I set fires to feel joy!" :lol:

I was under serious caution to behave myself watching this, as I have history of walking away in a mood when watching any films in which people sing. But, I actually ac a-enjoyed this. There is ac a-easiness to the writing and it is definitely ac a-feel good. There are also some very funny points in the film. I would recommend this, even if you zero interest in anything to do with a capella singing. A ca-believe it! Oh, and Anna Kendrick is super-hot.

Despicable Me 2 - 8/10

****ing loved it!

Edited by ScotlandGer