What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Rewatched Congo last night for the first time in about 5/6 years, god its bad even with Bruce Campbell (who I forgot was in it) and Ernie Hudson. Just dull as dishwater

5/10

Silver linings playbook

I know it's a chick flick but I really enjoy Bradley Coopers work. He was good in this as well. Pretty funny at times.

7/10

Went to the cinema to see it, thought it was excellent.

In a thread where Avengers Assemble gets 10/10 it really deserves better than 7/10.

I watched Dario Agrento's Inferno for the first time last night and I'm sad to say I was mostly disappointed by it. I'm a huge fan of the film it's predecessor Suspiria and I'd heard other people who'd said Inferno wasn't as good as it. However I was still hoping that Inferno would have more of a positive impact on me. The plot of Suspiria isn't particularly strong but it works well enough to enable Argento to create a horror film with a wonderfully nightmarish fairy tale quality to it. Inferno's plot is much weaker and it feels a little scattered in it's focus on it's main character's story arcs. With Inferno, it always feels like Argento can't really be bothered making us invest in the characters and is just too anxious to get on with murdering them. Rose's assumption that she lives witch house is clearly a lucky guess rather than any well thought out logic or detective work before she goes into the cellar.

There were some interesting moments. The scene where the Countess is looking at Mark The sequence in which Rose is chased up through the abandoned apartment floors do get close to being unnerving, and some of the shots as Rose creeps down the cramped enclosed corriders that are very dark with the odd splash of lurid bright colour look suitably creepy. But on the other hand, this scene in a way is a very rough copy from a far better one in Suspiria with the character of Sara and her attempted escape from the dance academy. The ending of Inferno is also more or less a poor copy of the ending of Suspiria and the first proper appearance of the Mater Tenebraraum feels like a sidenote which is disappointing.

The biggest disappointment for me though is actually the score. Suspiria has a soundtrack which had a delightfully warped music box-esque tune that serves as the main theme but was also capable of rising to bombastic, operatic levels when appropiate and Suspiria would be much poorer film without it. Inferno's soundtrack is much less interesting and adds much less to the film. It certainly has a bombastic quality to it, but it never feels appropiate. A lot of it is too electronic or synthy (not sure that is a word but hey ho) and failed to create the appropriate atmosphere for me. The song that bursts into life when Mark goes to confront Tenebrarum is very, very close to being laughably over the top.

So yeah I was massively disappointed by Inferno and as much as I harp on about Suspiria and my love for it, my expectations for Inferno weren't really ridiculously high. I did want to be impressed by Inferno. Has anyone seen the concluding part to the three mothers trilogy The Mother of Tears? If so is it worth checking out?

Went to the cinema for the first time in months last night to see Prisoners. I thought it was very good, with some excellent performances throughout - Jackman especially was superb. Did leave me with a few questions afterwards, but I'd give it an 8/10.

Watched For a Few Dollars More yesterday. I've never really been a big Western fan but it was excellent. Very original and quite refreshing how basic it was, compared to the big money, effects-driven blockbusters that spend three hours screaming in your face at the cinema.

Not perfect but it has aged well as a film. Worth a look, as it is better than A Fistful of Dollars but haven't seen The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly yet

Just watched world war z, it's ok but to be honest the first ever walking dead episode was better.

I wouldn't rush out and buy the DVD or blu ray if you were thinking about it.

Edited by DAFC

Captain Phillips ( 2013 )

This has received a lot of praise, and it's all pretty much deserved. It's a tense movie for sure, even though we know how it all ends. I love the way it builds up the oncoming pirates for a long time, as the ship try and do what they can to avoid what seems like the inevitable ( with the idea of abandoning ship also coming up ) and then when they do take the ship, the resilience and resourcefulness of the crew takes centre stage, and we also find that the head of the pirates is no idiot, and can be quite resourseful himself. This becomes a minor nag later in the movie when they make him into a bit of an idiot. The centre piece of the whole thing is a monster of a performance from Tom Hanks. Probably the best of an already fine career. The post-hostage situation is harrowing stuff thanks to his role. I'm gonna go full whammy on this.

10/10

Incidentally, it's worth looking out what kind of a man Phillips really was according to his crew. Really eye opening stuff.

Just watched world war z, it's ok but to be honest the first ever walking dead episode was better.

Worth renting it for £3.50? It's the extended version.

Watched this last night as well.

Pleasantly surprised again, nowhere near the turkey some had made it out to be.

The characters are a bit cardboard and hard to identify with, but some of the set-pieces are fantastic and the geo-political angle to a Zombie apocalypse does give it a touch of freshness compared to other like minded films.

6/10

Jackass Presents - Bad Grandpa

Went to see this last night after a long and tiring week at work, which helped me enjoy the movie more because it was a mind off, sit back and enjoy type of movie. I have a soft spot for Jackass as a guilty pleasure so this was right up my street. Was slow in parts and it is 'story driven' compare to the other Jackass stuff which does make the film seem a bit jilted in parts, but some proper laugh out loud sketches and pranks, the wee boy is a natural. Not a classic but a good Friday night film.

6/10

Jackass Presents - Bad Grandpa

Went to see this last night after a long and tiring week at work, which helped me enjoy the movie more because it was a mind off, sit back and enjoy type of movie. I have a soft spot for Jackass as a guilty pleasure so this was right up my street. Was slow in parts and it is 'story driven' compare to the other Jackass stuff which does make the film seem a bit jilted in parts, but some proper laugh out loud sketches and pranks, the wee boy is a natural. Not a classic but a good Friday night film.

6/10

The little miss competition at the end was hilarious