What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Parkland

Kennedy assassination film starring tons of famous faces (including Billy Bob Thornton and Zac Efron :wub: ) following characters such as Lee Harvey Oswald's brother, medical staff and the man who shot the famous footage of the event. Decent enough in that it portrays a different side to events. The poor b*****d Oswald family have had a rough 50 years.

7/10

Mud.

Absolutely loved this. Amazingly well shot with fantastic performances all round. Really evoked one of my favourite films when I was growing up "Stand by Me". Don't see films like this made too often anymore, no CGI and little violence until the tense ending, just superb characterisation of real people.

After this, Shotgun Stories and Take Shelter which I also liked, I think the Writer/Director(Jeff Nichols) has a bona fide masterpiece in him at some point, looking forward to seeing his future work.

Hard film to describe so I won't give too much away, just watch it if you get the chance.

9/10.

Agreed, Mud was fantastic! Try out Kings of the Summer. Also released this year and another great coming of age film. Stand by Me is my favourite film of all time so always keen to find similar ones

Short Term 12

Really enjoyed this. It's a pretty intense, emotionally charged film about a care worker trying to overcome her own demons whilst working in a children's psychiatric ward. Brie Larson, who plays the lead character Grace, was excellent. Defintely worth a look. 8/10

Drinking Buddies

It was ok I suppose. Quite a charming film, although from start to finish, not an awful lot actually happened. It was 90 minutes long, but it actually felt like it could've been cut down a bit. Olivia Wilde played her part well and was actually one of the executive producers in the film. The relationship between her and her workmate was excellent, probably the highlight of the film actually. 6/10.

I agree, just in from seeing it myself. I absolutely loved it, however it is totally in my wheelhouse. I love anything "spacey".

I loved the fact that you couldn't hear anything in space other than the voices, nice attention to detail.

It's also tense as f**k at some point.

9/10

Going to see it in 3D during the weekend. I'm pretty excited about it, I have to say. The unanimous opinion seems to be that it's a terrific movie, and seeing places saying that 3D is definitely the way to watch it.

Going to see it in 3D during the weekend. I'm pretty excited about it, I have to say. The unanimous opinion seems to be that it's a terrific movie, and seeing places saying that 3D is definitely the way to watch it.

Definitely 3D is the way to see it. I hate 3D with a passion but this film uses it superbly. Best compliment I can give it is that you simply forget you are wearing glasses and that the film is actually 3D. With most films that try to use the technology I have always felt the picture is out of focus and your attention is out of synch with what is going on around you, with this film however it is completely different. Only a couple of times so they use the whole 'shit flying out the screen to prove we are using 3D' trick but even then it adds to the film as a whole.

The Lives Of Others. 10/10

Absolutely stunning, the best film I've seen for a long time and definite top ten (possibly 5) material for me.

All the actors are fantastic and believable. Wiesler is a very memorable character, the range of emotions you feel at the end is wonderful.

I usually get bored with films over 2 hours, but I could easily have watched another hour of this, and despite wanting it to go on, the ending was perfect.

It also taught me a lot, as I had no idea what East Germany was all about, all I ever heard about was drug cheats and erm... that's it.

Edited by the aggressive beggar

Captain Phillips

8/10, felt it went on a little bit longer than needed, but Tom Hanks was outstanding

Just watched it, very moving in parts, Hanks outstanding as you say, thought length just about right, didn't find myself getting bored at all.

I agree, just in from seeing it myself. I absolutely loved it, however it is totally in my wheelhouse. I love anything "spacey".

I loved the fact that you couldn't hear anything in space other than the voices, nice attention to detail.

It's also tense as f**k at some point.

9/10

Didn't know Kevin was in it :P

The Lives Of Others.  10/10

Absolutely stunning, the best film I've seen for a long time and definite top ten (possibly 5) material for me.

All the actors are fantastic and believable.  Wiesler is a very memorable character, the range of emotions you feel at the end is wonderful.

I usually get bored with films over 2 hours, but I could easily have watched another hour of this, and despite wanting it to go on, the ending was perfect.

It also taught me a lot, as I had no idea what East Germany was all about, all I ever heard about was drug cheats and erm... that's it.

I watched this on Netflix last night and it really is a wonderful film. The cast and were excellent, the sory was fantastic and like you said, the ending was perfect.

The Lives Of Others.  10/10

Absolutely stunning, the best film I've seen for a long time and definite top ten (possibly 5) material for me.

All the actors are fantastic and believable.  Wiesler is a very memorable character, the range of emotions you feel at the end is wonderful.

It also taught me a lot, as I had no idea what East Germany was all about, all I ever heard about was drug cheats and erm... that's it.

Would give this a 10 as well. Absolutely love this film and would put in my all time top 10 at the moment.

The lengths the communist authorities went to was quite frightening, but in the end humanity won.

Walesa: Man of Hope.

Whilst we're on the subject of abhorrent communist regimes, went to see a one off showing of this last night, think I was the only Scot in the audience.

Having an interest in modern polish history and eastern Europe won't be a prerequisite for enjoying this film, but I imagine it well certainly help.

Good film, if a bit sugar coated in its portrayal of Lech. The octogenarian director does a fantastic job of mixing archive footage and dramatisation of the riots and strikes at Gdansk.

Two fantastic leading performances and my girlfriend and a few others were in tears at the end in a couple of Lech's triumphalist moments.

Overall a thoroughly enjoyable film but could have a done with a shining a light onto his dark side a touch more.

8/10

Gravity ( 2013 )

This is every bit as good as I'd hoped, and then some. First thing to note is the opening 10 minutes. Some of the most wonderfully put together film you're likely to see. Sandra Bullock is probably looking at Oscar #2 for her performance, and Clooney is terrific in the more comic role, and his role as the more experienced and calm head is terrifically done. Then you have the visuals, which are remarkable. The climax is nail biting stuff. It all comes together to make the best movie of 2013, and probably a game changer in the 3D side of things too.

10/10