What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

What Maisie Knew - 9/10

A really really good film . Really makes you emotional and angry throughout the film (with certain characters in the way it's intended). Julianne Moore and Steve Coogan are fine but the stars of this are Alex Starsgard and Joanna Vanderham (who is a stunning young hot Scottish actress that is bound for bigger things). The wee girl is also pretty good.

Very powerful and well acted film and absolutely worth a watch.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Seen this last night. I have only read the first book so as I sat down on my seat, I wondered how they were going to make a second one. The movie, just like the first one is good and the actual hunger games at times are epic. Will not give anything away, but I'm really looking forward to the last 2 movies.

8/10

Elysium, watched it last night. Thought it was a decent film but lacked imagination and again another film that relies on special effects over actual storyline.

The Kruger character was more interesting than Damon's though IMO and the story might have been better if it was based around him.

The Magnificent Seven

1960 western classic, which was recommended by our very own King Kebab so strongly that I went out and bought it on DVD.

Set in a village in Mexico, pillaged by banditos every harvest, whose inhabitants hire seven phenomenal gunmen to protect them, on the surface it's a basic skeleton plot, inspired by/copied from Seven Samurai, but added to that skeleton are the experienced directorial hand of John Sturges, a punchy Hollywood screenplay by William Roberts and some memorable performances from a constellation of a cast. Last but far from least, Elmer Bernstein provides one of the most iconic themes in movie history.

Suffice to say, the meat ends up outweighing the skeleton- the characters are well-played, the shooting attractive and the script sharp, but there's not a lot to the film and although the action is almost non-stop I can't help but think of it a little bit simple and unrealistic. That's part of what made it a crowd-pleaser at the time but it ruined an otherwise good foundation. A film without too much depth allows for better pacing of the exciting stuff though, and that's what's done very well.

It's an excellent, entertaining film but a flawed one, which falls short of its inspiration in almost every aspect. Worthy of a score to suit the title.

7/10

Alfie

A light-hearted character study with Michael Caine in the title role of a lifetime.

Alfie is a wannabe 1960s play boy- he does as he pleases and doesn't care about the consequences. He drifts from job to job, objectifies birds and sleeps with as many of them as he can, never learning or growing from his life experiences until a few things happen to him which he can't sweep under the carpet.

I won't spoil the plot but the lead character and his progress over the years we see him live has stayed with me long after watching the film, and that was months ago. He talks to the viewer right through the fourth wall and gives us a guided tour of his life, but as likeable as he is talking to us, he's so naive and extreme in his views about women that (as well as being jealous of his pulling ability) at first I felt sorry for him, but he slowly learns and becomes a fairer person. As well as being perfectly scripted it's the best I've ever seen Michael Caine; he got that character spot on, and all the supporting actresses are sublime in a rainbow of varying roles.

So it's a 24-carat character study, and one of the most authentic cinematic samples at life in London in the '60s, but my big complaint is that parts of the film are a little plain, visually and with regards to pacing. If the story was told in 90 minutes rather than almost 2 hours I think I'd have found it much more enjoyable. As it is, it's a wonderful story that I'll be watching again and again, and you should too.

8/10

Dead Man's Shoes

Shane Meadows psychological drama/thriller about an ex-serviceman on a personal revenge mission.

The story is brilliantly told by an inventive narrative style and some stylish camera work and editing from Meadows' crew, working on a real shoestring budget and shooting the film in just 3 weeks. The script by Meadows and Paddy Considine is also very impressive and, even though at times the plot stretches realism a little bit, the action and tension is relentless. Excellent dialogue too, with belly laughs and chilling terror provided just through spoken word and rather an emotional twist at the end.

Paddy Considine is terrifying in the lead role, delivering payback to a local gang from his home town for a back story we find out about as the action unravels. The flashbacks are heavy going, filmed in lo-tech monochrome with some gruesome stuff going on, but it's that impetus that makes Richard (Considine) our hero and completely justifies everything he does for his disabled brother.

Like I mentioned, it's a little bit on the unbelievable side at times and comes to a strange conclusion but this is a very admirable effort under the circumstances these guys were working. There's a lot of talent on show, and it's a big shame this film was not a commercial success.

7/10

Went to cineworld secret screening tonight and it was the secret life of Walter Mitty. Was ok i def wouldnt of gone to see it. Typical dont let life pass you buy kinda film

6/10

Unlucky, I would have raged at that being the film

I'd probably have walked out, that film looks utterly terrible. At least with other new Ben Stiller films there will be a decent support cast (The Watch, for instance) but that one looks to not really have one (Adam Scott's role looks small and I hate Kristen Wiig).

Pass.