What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Garden State

Can be a little melodramatic at points, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Managed to laugh out loud at parts aswell, which tends to be rare for me during comedies. The cast put in solid performances, which made their characters seem real and believable. Good soundtrack aswell.

Also, Natalie Portman :wub:

9/10

The Lives Of Others. 10/10

Absolutely stunning, the best film I've seen for a long time and definite top ten (possibly 5) material for me.

All the actors are fantastic and believable. Wiesler is a very memorable character, the range of emotions you feel at the end is wonderful.

I usually get bored with films over 2 hours, but I could easily have watched another hour of this, and despite wanting it to go on, the ending was perfect.

It also taught me a lot, as I had no idea what East Germany was all about, all I ever heard about was drug cheats and erm... that's it.

Made all the more poignant that Ulrich Muhe died of cancer a few months after winning an Oscar. Only 54 too.

Fantastic film and in my Top 5 of all time too.

World Cinema is so under rated in comparison to big budget, blockbuster ****

For another film on the old GDR I would recommend Goodbye Lenin.

Edited by SheepAreRed

The Counselor ( 2013 )

The best Ridley Scott film in years, and much of that is probably down to the fact that Cormac McCarthy wrote the screenplay for it. The thing that got me about this was just how great the main characters were. They jump out of the screen at you and their interactions with each other are also magnificent, creating the moods perfectly for what they're aiming for. It was this that made the film so enjoyable for me more than anything else.

9/10

The Counselor ( 2013 )

The best Ridley Scott film in years, and much of that is probably down to the fact that Cormac McCarthy wrote the screenplay for it. The thing that got me about this was just how great the main characters were. They jump out of the screen at you and their interactions with each other are also magnificent, creating the moods perfectly for what they're aiming for. It was this that made the film so enjoyable for me more than anything else.

9/10

Really?

I was thinking about going to see this but the reviews have been absolutely horrific?

In The Heat Of The Night

A brilliant piece of drama, with Sidney Poitier as a black police officer from Philadelphia who passes through a small Mississippi town on the night of a murder.

The film is as much about the murder mystery as it is a political statement on racial prejudice, and both topics are handled very well in Stirling Silliphant's screenplay, based on the novel by John Ball.

There isn't too much special from behind the camera, but the story is told by a combination of that very strong screenplay and a sublime cast. Poitier is superb and Warren Oates nails his role, but Rod Steiger is the stand-out, playing the most interesting character of the lot, a bigoted police chief, almost proud to represent the town as racist, who learns and grows throughout the case. As a character arc it's far from subtle, but Steiger does an excellent job of it and up against tough competition that year, though I'd have given it to Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate, the Best Actor Oscar was fully deserved.

The film did very well on Oscar night, winning in 5 of its nominated 7 categories, but one of my favourite features of the film wasn't nominated. I thought Quincy Jones' score and original song (sung by Ray Charles) accompanied the film perfectly.

Like I touched upon there, the message does come on a bit strong and although it didn't need anything special the camera work could have been better, but the writing and acting no doubt make it worthwhile.

7.5/10

I watched The Wolverine and actually quite liked it. The end was a cgi-shitfest but other than that it was alright. The doctor/lizard woman is one of the shittest baddies I've seen in a long time though.

Just finished watching that tonight, overall i was pretty disappointed with it, especially the ending. I was expecting it to deal more with his torment.

I won't even discuss how let down i felt with the ending

Zulu

Anglo-Zulu War film about the battle of Rorke's Drift where, outnumbered and seemingly outwitted, the British army struggle against the soldiers of the Zulu Kingdom.

For a film almost half a century old it's certainly stunning-looking and -sounding, thanks to controversial writer-director Cy Endfield, Stephen Dade on camera and an epic score by music genius John Barry. There's plenty of great acting too, from a cast including some of the finest British actors of the era; Jack Hawkins, Stanley Baker and Michael Caine are all on top form. I'd never heard of James Booth before seeing this but he was excellent as Pvt. Hook, one of my favourite characters in the film.

It's obviously flawed and badly dated by some amateurish moments in the battle scenes but that doesn't really impede the entertainment factor. I've also read a lot of historical inaccuracies which also have to be looked over, but loyalty to realism is always better, and although you can't blame the studio for their lack of resources to make it look realistic or for dressing up the plot a bit, no matter how good the rest of it was those things significantly weaken the film.

8/10

King Ralph

The entire royal family killed in a freak accident and replaced by...who? A loud, fat American, heir to the throne of the United Kingdom? Outrageous antics are sure to ensue...

As a comedy it's very poor. Most of it was painful to watch and the entire humour aspect of the film seemed to rest solely on the inappropriate behaviour of the King, barely offering anything worthy of a smile. Thankfully John Goodman is so loveable and charismatic in the role that he just about gets away with it, and Peter O'Toole (as Sir Cedric Charles Willingham!) and John Hurt (Lord Percival Graves) salvage some of the film with their performances which, although as ridiculous and over-the-top as the rest of the film, bring a bit of class into the proceedings and actually made for bearable watching.

For the large part, though, predictable shite.

4/10

Gravity

It's the big-budget space thriller everyone's talking about, and it's something special.

When the first shot of the film is as beautiful as this, it's straight on to a winner. I've never seen a shot like it. 13 minutes of fluid cinema genius to introduce the characters and plot points, already you know you're in the authoritative hands of Alfonso Cuarón and Emmanuel Lubezki, and that's us just getting warmed up.

It's a film that doesn't stop thrilling with suspense and surprise all the way through. There's a lot on the shoulders of George Clooney and Sandra Bullock but they both give very solid performances. I think Cuarón and son could have benefited from some screenplay supervision and a rewrite- large parts of the dialogue and (in particular) monologue were cringe-worthy. I don't like to get hung up on technical inaccuracies, especially when the subject is almost rocket science, but there were moments which to me seemed very convenient and improbable. Anyway, adventure quickly becomes disaster and survival becomes key, and if you concentrate on that aspect it's very rewarding. The sound is also spectacular and cleverly put together. Steven Price scored the film- it's his second ever film score and I liked it a lot.

But it's the visuals that take it to a whole new level. Lubezki is the star of the show; when he works with a genius director the cinematography is probably the best there's ever been. With this film they've proved they can do it in digital, and in 3D. I can't quite work out what the competition is likely to be in 3 months, but the director and D.O.P. have set the bar so high I can't see even Scorsese/Prieto topping it (for my vote, at least). No matter what you think about the rest of the film, their work here is destined to be legendary.

8/10

In Fear ( 2013 )

Decent effort this one, in which a couple on the way to a music festival wind up in a bit of bother. There's a lot of the time when the movie does well to make you think about what you actually seen and what you might have seen, but then when the big reveal comes in, things go downhill pretty sharpish. It's a fun ride though.

7/10

In The Heat Of The Night

A brilliant piece of drama, with Sidney Poitier as a black police officer from Philadelphia who passes through a small Mississippi town on the night of a murder.

The film is as much about the murder mystery as it is a political statement on racial prejudice, and both topics are handled very well in Stirling Silliphant's screenplay, based on the novel by John Ball.

There isn't too much special from behind the camera, but the story is told by a combination of that very strong screenplay and a sublime cast. Poitier is superb and Warren Oates nails his role, but Rod Steiger is the stand-out, playing the most interesting character of the lot, a bigoted police chief, almost proud to represent the town as racist, who learns and grows throughout the case. As a character arc it's far from subtle, but Steiger does an excellent job of it and up against tough competition that year, though I'd have given it to Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate, the Best Actor Oscar was fully deserved.

The film did very well on Oscar night, winning in 5 of its nominated 7 categories, but one of my favourite features of the film wasn't nominated. I thought Quincy Jones' score and original song (sung by Ray Charles) accompanied the film perfectly.

Like I touched upon there, the message does come on a bit strong and although it didn't need anything special the camera work could have been better, but the writing and acting no doubt make it worthwhile.

7.5/10

Actually watched this a few months ago after not seeing it since I was still in school. Even after all this time it still holds up well