What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn.

An absolutely brilliant animated adventure. Not only does it look brilliant, but it has the plot to match, with plenty of action and comedy to cater for almost everyone.

I'd recommend it to anyone, and I really hope they make another, with plenty of stories available through the comics.

A very solid 8 out of 10

Watched it earlier this year and was quite impressed with it. Jamie Bell really seems to be turning into a solid actor (despite it only being his voice)

It getting such a shit rating after it's States' release would make sense!

I'm interested to see what they do in its stead if they have gone another way.

I think it's more just a story that isn't very "hollywood" if that makes sense. I read they tried to redo the hammer fight as well and got no where near the original with it

Have you read the book?

I'm pretty sure everybody's read the book, and everybody thought it was pish.

Surprisingly I've never read it. Not the kind of book that interested me when I was younger so I doubt it would interest me now. Even if it is a supposed Classic.

I'm pretty sure everybody's read the book, and everybody thought it was pish.

Bit harsh. I didn't mind it and I was (still am to a lesser extent) horrendous for reading books at school (studied The Great Gatsby for higher English in 5th Year).

I've certainly endured worse.

The Great Gatsby is a literary classic. I was never taught it at school but I stumbled across it by chance and once I started reading it I couldn't put it down; it really is a tremendous book.

It shouldn't be though, it is the American equivalent of Jane Austen books which go on about how difficult life is for rich people.

The Great Gatsby is a literary classic. I was never taught it at school but I stumbled across it by chance and once I started reading it I couldn't put it down; it really is a tremendous book.

What did you like so much about it?

What did you like so much about it?

It's a fantastic social commentary of the Jazz age tbh. The movie went right over the top with the visuals and sacrificed substance for fancy aesthetics.

The development of Gatsby as a character is great as well, his story is I what feel is a true tragedy, he's a victim of the culture of his time (The OTT decadence of the upper classes of 1920's America who were in a strange pursuit of the unattainable American dream.)

The book is terrific but not Fitzgerald's best (Tender Is The Night IMO). I'm not sure how StandFree can criticise American Psycho? It is one of the finest American novels ever written, and Ellis is - despite his tedious Twitter antics and "look at me" soundbites - an excellent author.

The Gatsby film was disappointing though. I've seen some people say that the style over substance is an intentional attempt to convey the novel's message but that's complete pish. Baz Luhrmann is all about style over substance, it's what he does.

The book is terrific but not Fitzgerald's best (Tender Is The Night IMO).  I'm not sure how StandFree can criticise American Psycho?  It is one of the finest American novels ever written, and Ellis is - despite his tedious Twitter antics and "look at me" soundbites - an excellent author.

The Gatsby film was disappointing though.  I've seen some people say that the style over substance is an intentional attempt to convey the novel's message but that's complete pish.  Baz Luhrmann is all about style over substance, it's what he does.

Indeed it is. Both American Psycho and The Great Gatsby are seminal pieces of American literature.

I've not read a lot of Fitzgeralds work, but I do seem to have it in my head that he died relatively young? I may be speaking shite in regards to that though.

I'll give Tender is the night a look though.

Indeed it is. Both American Psycho and The Great Gatsby are seminal pieces of American literature.

I've not read a lot of Fitzgeralds work, but I do seem to have it in my head that he died relatively young? I may be speaking shite in regards to that though.

I'll give Tender is the night a look though.

Fitzgerald has only got 4 finished novels and one unfinished one (which is published FWIW) so you'll work through his stuff no bother. I've read three of his novels, having not read The Love Of The Last Tycoon and This Side Of Paradise. A couple of short story anthologies but I'm not really a reader of anyone's short story work, other than Kurt Vonnegut. I'm sure it's something I'll get into though.

No idea about his death but Wiki says he was 44 when he died. Save Me The Waltz - a novel by his wife, Zelda - is apparently a good read and shines some light on his life.

Edited by yoda

I'm not sure how StandFree can criticise American Psycho? It is one of the finest American novels ever written, and Ellis is - despite his tedious Twitter antics and "look at me" soundbites - an excellent author.

The Gatsby film was disappointing though. I've seen some people say that the style over substance is an intentional attempt to convey the novel's message but that's complete pish. Baz Luhrmann is all about style over substance, it's what he does.

He probably just saw that KeeperDee had posted and took the opposite opinion.

I haven't seen the film but I figured it would go down that route, shame as well as the cast was pretty decent and Di Caprio as Gatsby could've been great.