What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Wee Man

I seen some lads on here give this scoot rating but I really liked it. Good mix of the story and violence

8/10

Stereotypical scottish pish film. How can nobody do a scottish accent (even scottish people when they have a camera pointed at them).

Was going to give you a greenie. It really is fantastic film and Jim Carrey is magnificent in it.

It's truly a great film. I'd say Winslet plays her part really well also. I've seen it loads of times but it gets better with every viewing.

Still need to see that movie. I've heard nothing but great things.

I really can't recommend it highly enough. It's just a stunning film. Like KeeperDee said it's a film that continues to be interesting even with many repeated viewings. It's one of the most remarkable films to have come out of America in the past decade.

It's truly a great film. I'd say Winslet plays her part really well also. I've seen it loads of times but it gets better with every viewing.

Oh definitely. I didn't mention her because you generally accept that Kate Winslet will be pretty good if you give her solid material. You just don't expect Jim Carrey to give the level of performance that he does in ESOTSM. Tbh the whole cast is pretty solid, Elijah Wood does well to make sure his character doesn't end up being too creepy and pathetically unlikeable imo.

I seen these two movies in the last couple of days:

Coffee Town

Stars: Glenn Howerton ( from it's always sunny in Philadelphia), Ben Schwartz ( from Parks and Recreation), Josh Groban and Adrianne Palicki.

Plot: Three friends decide to rob a Coffee shop in order to stop it from turning into a bar.

It's a good comedy with some laugh-out loud scenes, Josh Groban and Ben Schwartz are great in it. 8/10

The Way Way Back

Stars: Liam James, Steve Carell, Sam Rockwell and Maya Rudolph

Plot: Shy 14-year-old Duncan goes on summer vacation with his mother, her overbearing boyfriend, and her boyfriend's daughter. Having a rough time fitting in, Duncan finds an unexpected friend in Owen, manager of the Water Wizz water park.

Just like Coffee Town, it's a great comedy with some great scenes. Every actor and actress play their parts very well. If you like Indie dramas then this movie is for you. 9/10

Hard Eight (1996)

Have had this on my planner for ages and decided to watch it last night. Thoroughly enjoyed and was pleasantly surprised. Philip Baker Hall is excellent in it as the old time gambler who shows John C Reilly how to gamble. A couple twists and turns in it as well. Gwenyth Paltrow and Samuel L Jackson also play large parts especially Paltrow who I thought was superb as a young barmaid/hooker. Had never heard of this and wasn't sure what to expect but John C Reilly plays a serious part instead of what he has been doing the last few years and also puts in a good performance. Nothing spectacular but I did enjoy it and the hostage scene is superb.

6.5/10

Pacific Rim.

Terrible film. A fanboys wet dream of Del Toro directing gigantic aliens v gigantic monsters, but no amount of impressive CGI can rescue the horrendous dialogue and the hammy delivery on display. Have seen the lead actor quite rightly described as "charisma-free zone". 2 hours of my life i'm never getting back. Unbelievable that this is the guy who made Pan's Labyrinth.

2/10.

Edited by AberdeenBud

Worth renting it for £3.50? It's the extended version.

Just about worth £3.50 but it just seemed really disjointed and predictable to me.

Some nice effects like the waves of zombies but everything else has been done before and better with a fraction of the budget.

The zombie attacks were pony IMO, not enough gore.

Ganster Squad 6.5/10

FWIW, it wasn't a bad movie at all, it did exactly what it says on the tin. My problem lay with the cliché count :-

Unwavering good guy that chooses honour over everything else - check

Unwavering Bad guy that just doesn't know when to stop - check

Witty supporting character who looks cool and doesn't join right away - check

Innocent being killed to galvanise the cool guy into action - check

Love Trist between cool guy and hot girl attached to the bad guy - check

Slow motion shoot outs - check

Montage of Ganster squad kicking ass - check

Use of a philosophical advice to foreshadow using it again at the climax - check

Pondering moment on the beach before throwing item of meaning into the sea, while wearing light coloured shirt - check

EXPLOSIONS - check

Guy with most to lose getting killed off to galvanise the good guys - check

Shot of a body in the swimming pool while being shot - check

In essence, this really was a ridiculously manufactured movie with little to no originality about it at all, but it still wasn't a bad watch.

I watched the Cat Returns last night. It's the third Studio Ghibli film I've watched now (all in the past month) and I really enjoyed it. Although if I'm honest, I wasn't nearly as impressed with it as I was with Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away but it was still well worth a watch.