Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Read on the Rovers thread and dotnet that Raith might be signing Shaun Byrne. Noticed he’s not kicked a ball for Dundee in the league cup and wasn’t even in the squad today. Would love Shaun back.

In other news, when I was on the same thread on dotnet (I know), someone said they’d been in the shop collecting a ST and Matt was saying KRH was on the pitch doing training at that time, and that they don’t think his rehab and recovery will take as long. That would be a huge boost if true!

33 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Read on the Rovers thread and dotnet that Raith might be signing Shaun Byrne. Noticed he’s not kicked a ball for Dundee in the league cup and wasn’t even in the squad today. Would love Shaun back.

In other news, when I was on the same thread on dotnet (I know), someone said they’d been in the shop collecting a ST and Matt was saying KRH was on the pitch doing training at that time, and that they don’t think his rehab and recovery will take as long. That would be a huge boost if true!

We are looking for another defensive minded midfielder after Spencer left and Byrne would fit the bill, I haven’t seen or heard anything about it be interesting how that I’ll play out if true 

30 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

We are looking for another defensive minded midfielder after Spencer left and Byrne would fit the bill, I haven’t seen or heard anything about it be interesting how that I’ll play out if true 

We were linked with almost every Dundee player for a week or two, purely based on the McPake factor. Paul McMullan was a done deal until Derry offered him something and he went there for personal reasons and the chance to play in Europe. Byrne is one I’d hope we get back. He’s a great lad so happy enough if he’s back playing regularly, just would rather it was in the black and white, not navy 🤣

50 minutes ago, VinnyPar said:

You'd imagine we'd be in for Shaun Byrne as it's a position we need to strengthen however it'll all come down to who can offer more and by the sounds of it that's Raith.

Think that's a stretch. 1600 season tickets sold at the Rovers which is their best for at least a decade vs what? 2500 or something for us? OK they'll get Viaplay Cup money but we have the Nisbet money which wouldn't have been budgeted for at the start of the season. Raith have brought in Smith, Murray, Hamilton, Dubrowski etc on decent money... I'd be very surprised if the Wee Team were offering much bigger wages than we are. In fact, in terms of wage bills, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up 3rd highest behind Dundee Utd and Partick Thistle. 

Just now, Salvo Montalbano said:

Think that's a stretch. 1600 season tickets sold at the Rovers which is their best for at least a decade vs what? 2500 or something for us? OK they'll get Viaplay Cup money but we have the Nisbet money which wouldn't have been budgeted for at the start of the season. Raith have brought in Smith, Murray, Hamilton, Dubrowski etc on decent money... I'd be very surprised if the Wee Team were offering much bigger wages than we are. In fact, in terms of wage bills, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up 3rd highest behind Dundee Utd and Partick Thistle. 

Conservatories ain't cheap tbh.

1 minute ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

True, I hadn't accounted for all that cocaine conservatory money. Although our sponsors are also in the windows and conservatories business, so maybe it depends on who has had the best first quarter...

Our mob convert conservatories. No doubt improving things for the poor customers who've been hoodwinked by your lot. 

I don't think there's any doubt that Dunfermline's total wage bill will be higher than the Rovers, and justifiably so based on income. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's a foregone conclusion if both clubs want the same player, but I can't see Ian Murray wanting to go all-out for Shaun Byrne, given he wouldn't be an automatic starter. 

Not disputing that Byrne went on to play at a higher level but how many genuinely decent games did he have for us? He had everything but it was very rare for it to all be on show during a game. Potter was great with that crop of young players so can see Byrne being happy to go there when. Potter bound to take over once Murray gets shoved out.

14 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

If Byrne goes to Raith and we've not been in for him then I am finished.

Then you may well be “finished”.

I’m not getting the desperation for us to be in for Shaun Byrne.  Other than a great 2 seasons for Livingston, has he really done it at Dundee? I mean we’ve been linked with him for the last three seasons with nothing happening.

Hes a lovely guy and I thought he’d really kicked on when at Livingston but since then, he always seemed to be injured or on the fringe at Dundee?  

Certainly not a “if he doesn’t sign I’ll be snapping my season card and flinging it in the Forth” moment if we don’t go in for him. 😉

12 minutes ago, parsboi said:

Then you may well be “finished”.

I’m not getting the desperation for us to be in for Shaun Byrne.  Other than a great 2 seasons for Livingston, has he really done it at Dundee? I mean we’ve been linked with him for the last three seasons with nothing happening.

Hes a lovely guy and I thought he’d really kicked on when at Livingston but since then, he always seemed to be injured or on the fringe at Dundee?  

Certainly not a “if he doesn’t sign I’ll be snapping my season card and flinging it in the Forth” moment if we don’t go in for him. 😉

He would comfortably be our best central midfielder if he signed.

I would like us to be in for him, I think if we are he’ll come.

He’s not a winger or striker, but let’s be completely honest, he’s a better footballer than Joe Chalmers. That’s not me shitting on Chalmers, he done very well last season and I think he will continue to do so. However, McPake regularly says he wants to add quality and not just add for the sake of it. Byrne would definitely compete against Chalmers, Hammy for starting places. He’s a bit of a hybrid between the two, he’s very good on the ball, will take it under pressure but also has that bit of bite, which he didn’t have whilst with us.

If we sign him I’ll be delighted, if he ends up at Raith I’ll be very disappointed.

10 minutes ago, VinnyPar said:

Based on his performances at Livingston, yes.

Based on how he’s done in the last couple of years, that’s a bit more debatable, injuries and inconsistency under his last manager haven’t helped to be fair.

Still think he’d be a very good signing, but if we didn’t go for him or get him, there are plenty other options out there.

22 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

I would like us to be in for him, I think if we are he’ll come.

He’s not a winger or striker, but let’s be completely honest, he’s a better footballer than Joe

At this point I thought you were going to say “Cardle”. Almost had a heart attack man!

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

While we will have a larger turnover than Raith, it's not accounting for how much their new owners are putting in. Kelty Hearts didn't end up in league two by accident, or by having a large fanbase, they got there with a conservatory load of money going in. 

The new owners are probably reading the lie of the land and fancying there chances of promotion this season with how tight the league will be, fair play. 

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

Not disputing that Byrne went on to play at a higher level but how many genuinely decent games did he have for us? He had everything but it was very rare for it to all be on show during a game. 

Aye, agreed. I wasn't particularly upset when he left, no one was. He then dropped down a tier to Livingston where with more regular game time he kicked on. 

25 minutes ago, VinnyPar said:

Disagree. I'm not really sure what that's based on. 

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Tbh it might not come down to purely money maybe it’ll come down to contract length it was between us and Ayr for Mullin they offered a 2 year deal and we offered 3 so it could be that….. is it position that we desperately need? No really but would certainly add experience and depth 

It would be great if Byrne did come back. Probably fits the age profile that our owners seem to see as key in a signing.

Would improve the squad in my opinion. I know when he left us previously he was frustrated at the lack of playing time.

He used to stay leven,ish way. If he still does I suppose Kirkcaldy is an easier commute than us all things being equal.