Walking Down The Halbeath Road

59 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Can we announce Matty Todd as a new signing when he's back?

Expect him to return like Lord Flashheart, stick the nut on whoever has been in his role and throw them onto the street before leading the title charge.

Pretty concerning from the club this window that they have hardly strengthened. Considering the high season ticket sales, high home attendances and general backing from fans and the nisbet money. Leads me to believe more going on behind the scenes.

3 minutes ago, SRB said:

Pretty concerning from the club this window that they have hardly strengthened. Considering the high season ticket sales, high home attendances and general backing from fans and the nisbet money. Leads me to believe more going on behind the scenes.

😄

Just the six signings so far. They've also said that they're missed on out of a few but are still trying to get folk in.

I get that it's frustrating waiting and obviously everyone would have liked to have had more done earlier, but it sounds like you're reading in to something that isn't there (perhaps even hoping?).

The window is still open too.

2 minutes ago, SRB said:

Behave. We’ve paid fees for 3 players. We’re offering 3 year deals for the first time in ages to key players and are actively looking to strengthen. It honestly feels like some people would rather we signed utter dross just to make up the numbers and chuck money away, than only bringing in players that will improve the team.

Genuine question, what are you trying to get at with the “more going on behind the scenes” - like what? We have a management team that committed to long term extensions and key players from last season that have signed 3 year deals. Add in Celtic loaning one of their highly rated youngsters and it’s not exactly a sign of things being terrible.

We would all rather we had more players in by now and we all want to see more quality and depth added to the squad. But I’d rather be where we are, than have signed up wasters that wouldn’t improve the starting 11 and would only be used in a handful of games.

Just now, DA Baracus said:

😄

Just the six signings so far. They've also said that they're missed on out of a few but are still trying to get folk in.

I get that it's frustrating waiting and obviously everyone would have liked to have had more done earlier, but it sounds like you're reading in to something that isn't there (perhaps even hoping?).

The window is still open too.

I’m not hoping for anything is there at all. But it’s obvious they are struggling to get players in, the Wotherspoon situation. The McGowan situation. All the trialists that are here that they haven’t managed to sign.

I get they want to run a smaller squad but u just need to look at rovers last season to see it dosent work. And with the injuries they have had already this early on.

out of the six one was made because keeper got injured. Ohalloran hasn’t done much yet. Summers is only new player. We’re two strikers down and short in midfield too with only really one out and out winger.

Imo is there’s too much people involved in the transfers should be manager and David cook as a wage budget should be in place already.

12 minutes ago, SRB said:

I’m not hoping for anything is there at all. But it’s obvious they are struggling to get players in, the Wotherspoon situation. The McGowan situation. All the trialists that are here that they haven’t managed to sign.

I get they want to run a smaller squad but u just need to look at rovers last season to see it dosent work. And with the injuries they have had already this early on.

out of the six one was made because keeper got injured. Ohalloran hasn’t done much yet. Summers is only new player. We’re two strikers down and short in midfield too with only really one out and out winger.

Imo is there’s too much people involved in the transfers should be manager and David cook as a wage budget should be in place already.

But if there was some mad issue with making signings then how have they been able to make 6? Doesn't matter that you don't like them or that one is a keeper. When a keeper was needed it was done quick. Hardly suggests things aren't working.

What was the contract offered to McGowan? What were the contracts offered to the trialists? If they were offered deals, why were they turned down?

McPake has said that a deal has been made to Wotherspoon. He's also said other deals were offered to players but declined. That's the state of things these days.

You're obviously hinting at some behind the scenes turmoil, and I'd guess it would some sort of issue with 'the Germans'* (could be wrong of course). What do you think is happening?

Who is all involved in the transfers?

*You're not alone in this if that is what you're getting at. Should we lose a couple of games I fully expect some fans to be calling for 'them' to be sacked or questioning everything about the club.

McPake has admitted he's extremely picky about who he signs. It's a gamble to wait out on targets, but if they come through then the squad will be better for it. I understand the frustration but you have to make sure you're bringing in signings to improve the squad not just for the sake of it. The last time we were in the championship the transfer policy was all over the place.

The job this season is to consolidate in the championship, I've seen no evidence to suggest we can't do that based on the first 3 performances without arguably two of our most influential players from last season. Signings will come in to fill out the rest of the squad, it's not unusual for clubs at our level to make more signings going into September once the window is shut. I think we'll see at least one come in tomorrow but wouldn't be surprised by a double signing 

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

But if there was some mad issue with making signings then how have they been able to make 6? Doesn't matter that you don't like them or that one is a keeper. When a keeper was needed it was done quick. Hardly suggests things aren't working.

What was the contract offered to McGowan? What were the contracts offered to the trialists? If they were offered deals, why were they turned down?

McPake has said that a deal has been made to Wotherspoon. He's also said other deals were offered to players but declined. That's the state of things these days.

You're obviously hinting at some behind the scenes turmoil, and I'd guess it would some sort of issue with 'the Germans'* (could be wrong of course). What do you think is happening?

Who is all involved in the transfers?

*You're not alone in this if that is what you're getting at. Should we lose a couple of games I fully expect some fans to be calling for 'them' to be sacked or questioning everything about the club.

I’m not against the Germans I think they have been good for the club. But I also think that they need a bit of help and guidance on the Scottish football. 

im not saying there’s turmoil, I’m saying imo that it seems like too much people involved in transfers. And I believe that should be the manager and David cook involved and that’s it. A wage budget I presume would have been agreed at start off the season I’m sure it’s not all been used up to this point.

im also not suggesting just sign anyone either. If Wotherspoon hasn’t signed and contract has been on table for a while walk away and onto another target.

I don’t think I’m wrong in saying either that they have been working on targets for this season since they took over dosent look like that to me. Also mcpake has said that he would have liked a settled squad by now. If this isn’t happening a bit of reflection and seeing why this isn’t happening has to happen too.

if our targets are going to higher teams I have no qualms with that no harm in trying but we also have to be realistic and know we’re in championship. And have to take a risk on someone at some point. 

also I don’t know how are scout network is down south but we seem to work in Scottish market mainly while other clubs seem to be going down south. A bigger market that I think we’re missing out on.

We have signed players but are way short on depth and barely improved on last seasons team. We were light on numbers last season and have less now. We got away with it and were lucky to do so as had few injuries. This season is already different.

Agreed we don't just want numbers but as said, losing out to Prem teams tells me were aren't being realistic in some targets if were trying to compete financially and footballing with teams a league above. Especially since we've jist come up.

We have a good nucleus but I am also concerned it's taking this long, regardless of us trying to get them in. I tried at maths and still failed it.

1 hour ago, SRB said:

I’m not against the Germans I think they have been good for the club. But I also think that they need a bit of help and guidance on the Scottish football. 

im not saying there’s turmoil, I’m saying imo that it seems like too much people involved in transfers. And I believe that should be the manager and David cook involved and that’s it. A wage budget I presume would have been agreed at start off the season I’m sure it’s not all been used up to this point.

im also not suggesting just sign anyone either. If Wotherspoon hasn’t signed and contract has been on table for a while walk away and onto another target.

I don’t think I’m wrong in saying either that they have been working on targets for this season since they took over dosent look like that to me. Also mcpake has said that he would have liked a settled squad by now. If this isn’t happening a bit of reflection and seeing why this isn’t happening has to happen too.

if our targets are going to higher teams I have no qualms with that no harm in trying but we also have to be realistic and know we’re in championship. And have to take a risk on someone at some point. 

also I don’t know how are scout network is down south but we seem to work in Scottish market mainly while other clubs seem to be going down south. A bigger market that I think we’re missing out on.

Personally I think going down south will get you absolute duds 9 times out of 10. 

I was very surprised we got KRH and Otoo which on the face of it seems excellent business that I didn't think we would have a chance of doing. 

Wotherspoon and Jakubiak would seem a better fit than O'Halloran who seemed to me a bit of a desperation signing. 

O’Halloran was turd for Cove in this league by all accounts. Not going to crucify the guy after a handful of games, but I’m not holding out much hope of him having an impact for us. 

13 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Personally I think going down south will get you absolute duds 9 times out of 10. 

Just need to look at Ayr's business this week. 

Sign a 23 year old from the Brentford youth set up who's seemingly never played a game of senior football - not exactly filling me with envy. 

And they've had to release a guy they signed from Aldershot two months ago. 

3 hours ago, Nat Weederburn said:

The job this season is to consolidate in the championship, I've seen no evidence to suggest we can't do that based on the first 3 performances 

It may well be what the board are publicly saying but realistically our position shouldn’t be that 8th is good enough,  it isn’t,  we should be really looking to kick on this season, but we haven’t signed to do so. 

I know there’s a lot of talk about wanting to develop players,  but when we have KRH, Todd, McCann, Edwards,otto, Breen, Hamilton and fisher as first team regulars surely there should have been some more space in the planning for players who are going to shine now and not give a f**k if they don’t have more potential to tap into?

4 hours ago, SRB said:

McPake spoke at the Supporters meeting in January and said plans were in place for the following season in terms of targets. At that stage, we’d just lost Fisher and I'm fairly certain he wanted to try and get him permanently. I think it’s fairly obvious he wanted Agyeman, he named him publicly at a fans night as the best opposition player, then named him in an article on our website. That kinda stuff doesn’t just happen if there’s no interest. Agyeman went on to have a poor second half of the season and I’m sure changed McPake’s mind. Nothing he can do about that. I’m sure plans were in place but all it takes is a bigger name to come in for said player and the plans are out the window. Also he wanted Summers last season but Celtic wanted to keep a hold, so technically that one’s been in the works since last summer.

I’ve been as frustrated as any Pars fan over this window but I trust McPake to get it right. If the guys he wanted to sign were ready they’d be in.

Unfortunately it seems Wotherspoon is holding on till the last minute to try and see if someone else offers something, probably the last decent move of his career, who can blame him?

We have Mumbongo on trial apparently, maybe he wants to take his time and look at him before offering. Jakubiak in training but sounds like he could have deals elsewhere on the table to consider too.

The McGowan one was annoying. I thought he’d be worthwhile signing for a year, add more experience. I think McPake wanted that but the board weren’t keen. We didn’t lose out on McGowan because Cove beat us to it. We just didn’t offer a deal to him. 

It’s a tough time, everyone wants to improve but a lot of clubs fighting over the same guys. It’s not fun for the fans but we just have to get on with it. It felt worse a few weeks ago when we had KRH and Matty out on long term injury but with Kane back things feel a little better.

The strange part for me is how we have guys like Wotherpoon and Jakubiak hanging around the club, going to games, training with us. We all know they are easily good enough to play for us. Mumbongo has been hovering about the club for weeks too.

Why is everything so strung out with players hanging about the club for weeks and not being signed? O'Halloran was the same.

Edited by Chubbychops

28 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

The strange part for me is how we have guys like Wotherpoon and Jakubiak hanging around the club, going to games, training with us. We all know they are easily good enough to play for us. Mumbongo has been hovering about the club for weeks too.

Why is everything so strung out with players hanging about the club for weeks and not being signed? O'Halloran was the same.

Wotherspoon - I don’t think this is the clubs fault. We’ve offered a deal and it sounds like him/his agent have dicked about. However, I think the club recognise a good player hence why the deal is on table and he’s still training. I don’t think we’re the ones holding this up.

Jakubiak - sounds like he’s only been in this week. From McPake’s Thursday interview he might have other offers so again it’s not exactly our fault. We might have already offered terms but are waiting on him.

Mumbongo - Unknown. Some guy up on trial, maybe they like something with him but are waiting to see what else could turn up.

O’Hallaron - agree this one feels weird, like a bit of a panic signing tbh. Was training, then didn’t feature in any pre-season, sounded like he had left then all of a sudden was announced. Although, he was essentially out for weeks due to being miles off match fitness so that’s probably why it sounded quiet.

13 hours ago, SRB said:

Genuine question. Do you know who’s all involved with signings? 
I’m new to P&B, but have read the site for a good while. I have seen many posts where people apparently know the inner workings of our/their club, it surprises me how many fans know what goes on behind the scenes at our club. 
I don’t do any social media sites other than this place, but it like to know where I’ll find the information that some on here apparently know. Can you point me in the right direction please? 

5 minutes ago, Wacky said:

Genuine question. Do you know who’s all involved with signings? 
I’m new to P&B, but have read the site for a good while. I have seen many posts where people apparently know the inner workings of our/their club, it surprises me how many fans know what goes on behind the scenes at our club. 
I don’t do any social media sites other than this place, but it like to know where I’ll find the information that some on here apparently know. Can you point me in the right direction please? 

There was an short interview in the Courier with Thomas Meggle. Can't remember fully but it was along the lines of the board having the final say but he was involved with the mangement team.