Walking Down The Halbeath Road

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Found it interesting this guy bothered to tweet about it.

Just looked him up on Twitter, over 100K followers so he's not some troll talking guff but I think it would be very easy to put 2 and 2 together and come out with that story. If this was a weeks time and we'd just lost at home, for the third consecutive week I would say he might be on to something but I don't think that's the case.

41 minutes ago, AuldReekie said:

I'm still supportive of McPake - on the whole, I think he's been great and I genuinely think he's been dealt a shit hand. Were it not for the injuries, I think we'd already be clear of relegation. But it's his job to try and find a way through the crisis. Sure, the board are just as culpable but they aren't about to sack themselves.

Of most concern is the nature of recent performances - last few weeks have been the absolute worst of the season with the team looking more disjointed, pedestrian and one-dimensional than I can remember. Sleep-walking into relegation would be absolutely criminal - half the squad could disappear on the cheap, and not the weaker of the squad either: Otoo and Edwards would be well justified in looking for an exit (at a much reduced price than we could demand until now), Hamilton would do well to put his loyalty aside and go try and make something of his career, the loanees are unlikely to see the club as a solid prospect, etc. 

Something has to change soon. Hopefully it's with a win on Saturday but if not, the board need to find a backbone and quick.

I'm supportive of the manager as well, I think if we had the injured players on the park or even half of them we'd not be anywhere near this mess. Not challenging for the title but mid table, picking up points here and there.

The last two weeks have been outrageous. I was so frustrated after the Scottish Cup defeat to Raith, we looked gash but the last two weekends were very poor. As soon as we concede the heads go down.

I'd be livid if we went down but mainly because of the crop of talent we do have, they'd all want away. We'd be accepting offers for Todd, Otoo, Edwards for starters, someone would take a punt on guys like Hammy, KRH etc.

The manager has another game to prove his worth. Not only do we need to win the game on Saturday, there has to be something in the fight and performance. A scrappy one nil might be enough to keep the wolves at bay for another week but if we're hanging on then that won't build much confidence. Win on Saturday and we could go up to mid table if things went our way, sounds brighter but the reality is where does the next win come from? Unless there's change in tactics, formations and personnel we're going to get picked apart. 

Lots of absolute wrong uns have considerable amounts of followers on X. Doesn't mean they are right. He's seen our form and just put two and two together. 

If we go down we should have enough about us to bounce straight back, but f*ck me our finances would take a hammering. We shouldn't be accepting this though. It's dangerous when apathy takes over from anger, right enough. 

EEP will be absolutely toxic on Saturday if we lose comfortably again. Can't see how he keeps his job if we lose. 

Sorry for intruding guys, but I was told something very surprising about the Pars’ board’s backing for James McPake. Is it true they’ve told him they’re not bothered where they finish in the league this season as they’r committed to building a footballing side who play out from the back? If so I’m assuming they mean as long as they stay in the division!

5 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Sorry for intruding guys, but I was told something very surprising about the Pars’ board’s backing for James McPake. Is it true they’ve told him they’re not bothered where they finish in the league this season as they’r committed to building a footballing side who play out from the back? If so I’m assuming they mean as long as they stay in the division!

Sounds like guff.

We do try and play out, definitely did a lot last season through Benedictus but with our current availability list I don't think playing out from the back is top of the boards wish-list. More often than not you'll see the attempt to begin playing out but it's not clicking at the moment. And when we choose to go direct, we don't have the players to win it/hold it up.

I don't know about official objectives and measurements that the board set the manager, however at a fans Q&A night at the end of last season McPake and McKay both talked about wanting to finish as high as possible, however were realistic that the aim was to stay in the division and if they were offered 7th place at that time they'd take it.

4 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Sounds like guff.

We do try and play out, definitely did a lot last season through Benedictus but with our current availability list I don't think playing out from the back is top of the boards wish-list. More often than not you'll see the attempt to begin playing out but it's not clicking at the moment. And when we choose to go direct, we don't have the players to win it/hold it up.

I don't know about official objectives and measurements that the board set the manager, however at a fans Q&A night at the end of last season McPake and McKay both talked about wanting to finish as high as possible, however were realistic that the aim was to stay in the division and if they were offered 7th place at that time they'd take it.

I was taken aback when I heard that, especially as it came from a guy who always checks his facts before saying such a thing. 
If you guys haven’t heard that then it’s probably wide of the mark.

34 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Out of all the things that didn't happen, that didn't happen the most. 

28 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

This is 100% true and you clearly haven’t just made that up. In fact, I’m sure that in one of these public conversations between board and manager, they said they wouldn’t care if we went down to the lowland league, as long as we try to play football the right way.

They’ve learned their lesson after making the mistake of punting both Hughes & Grant, who tried to play it out from the back, at the expense of our place in the championship.

No-one really knows what is going on. But clearly it is a shitshow. Genuinely thought we turned a corner from the Hughes/Grant era, but we are right back in the same shit again, albeit with a better chance of staying up.  

As long as we have Allan, Chalmers and Summers as a midfield 3, we will continue to lose every week. Not one of them can tackle or close players down. We have the worst midfield in the league.

Summers is a talented boy, but totally wet behind the ears and very soft. Not interested in tracking back or helping team mates out. Bit like Mochrie last season.

Allan and Chalmers are just dreadful at this level. Both slow and soft. Hope we punt them regarless of division next season. We need to re-build that area of the pitch.

Edited by Chubbychops

I'd like to see Summers and Chalmers have a race. I don't think there's much between them. I think Summers tries but the space in midfield as Chalmers and Allan reverted to sitting very deep off the ball meant him and MOH struggled to cover the rest of pitch with McCann.

No doubt Summers is talented and has done more (low ceiling) than Chalmers/Allan this season but he runs like his boot laces are tied together. Going nowhere in a hurry. To be fair, I don't think he's supposed to be playing as a box to box centre midfielder. That being said, I've seen enough that if we had a fully fit squad he wouldn't be budging Matty Todd out of the central attacking midfielder role.

3 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

That being said, I've seen enough that if we had a fully fit squad he wouldn't be budging Matty Todd out of the central attacking midfielder role.

Not for me. I think Summers is technically a better player but he's going nowhere fast, literally, until he develops better awareness and pace. Todd opens the play up way more and is a more all round threat IMO. 

Edited by AuldReekie

6 minutes ago, Heaton said:

I'd like to see Summers and Chalmers have a race. I don't think there's much between them. I think Summers tries but the space in midfield as Chalmers and Allan reverted to sitting very deep off the ball meant him and MOH struggled to cover the rest of pitch with McCann.

Agree with this completely. We set up to play for 0-0 on Saturday. Chalmers and Allan were clearly asked to protect the defence and were so deep, meaning the attacking players had o support. Also left an enormous gap between defence and attack, which meant every second ball was being swept up by Queens Park players.

Then we conceded, had no plan B and completely collapsed.

I’m also not convinced Summers has the awareness or footballing-brain to be able to be consistently effective, given his lack of pace. Keeps trying to run away from players, then gets caught easily. He’s also brushed off the ball so easily. Still young and I’m sure he’ll learn and improve, but he’s definitely not ready to consistently perform at the level we need him to right now.

1 minute ago, AuldReekie said:

Not for me. I think Summers is technically a better player but he's going nowhere fast, literally, until he develops better awareness and pace. Todd opens the play up way more and is a more all round threat IMO. 

You’ve said you disagree with someone saying Summers wouldn’t take Todd’s place in the team, then argued that Todd is a better option. Am I missing something?

5 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Agree with this completely. We set up to play for 0-0 on Saturday. Chalmers and Allan were clearly asked to protect the defence and were so deep, meaning the attacking players had o support. Also left an enormous gap between defence and attack, which meant every second ball was being swept up by Queens Park players.

I’m also not convinced Summers has the awareness or footballing-brain to be able to be consistently effective, given his lack of pace. Keeps trying to run away from players, then gets caught easily. He’s also brushed off the ball so easily. Still young and I’m sure he’ll learn and improve, but he’s definitely not ready to consistently perform at the level we need him to right now.

You’ve said you disagree with someone saying Summers wouldn’t take Todd’s place in the team, then argued that Todd is a better option. Am I missing something?

Ffs. Misread. I thought The Toun Clock said Summers would take Todds place. 

As you were... 😞

1 hour ago, CallumPar said:

Bang on. Hoofing it clear constantly and just letting them come at us, wave after wave. No disrespect but a proper good team would have been out of sight before half time. 

1 hour ago, AuldReekie said:

Ffs. Misread. I thought The Toun Clock said Summers would take Todds place. 

As you were... 😞

All good, knew what you meant 👍🏻🤣

With Todd being out, we have nobody that can get beyond the front men 

Summers has regressed. He looked good in the early stages of the season. Perhaps that was because he had Hamilton and/or Otoo to do his defensive duties. 

as much as Jakubiak doesn’t score much, we have missed his energy and ability to occupy defences and be the first line of defence 

Edited by Well over Par