Walking Down The Halbeath Road

It's a bit mad that this one seems to have been the one to have broke the camels back so to speak regarding fans turning on the board as it's probably little to do with them (on this occasion). 

I'm all for it though.

FFS, this isn’t funny anymore, it’s a total fuckin shambles, a pure disgraceful embarrassment.
We all need to act now so I’ll save face.

I forgot I bet a tenner with a Falkirk fan that we wouldn’t go straight back down again, and I’m in danger of losing here.
It’s not the money that bothers me, it’s the shame of having to hand it over to one of THEM.

It’s time we all marched over to Germany to confront these overlords of ours, my dignity is at stake here. 

1 minute ago, da_no_1 said:

Personally I fully expected him to sign for Thistle in time for Friday night. This is as big a kick in the balls just from a different angle 

He’s just a glory hunting slag and he can GTF…………… unless he changes his mind and signs for us then he’ll be the returning black and white hero, and we’ll start a campaign to have Stephens name a commemorative double biscuit after him. 

1 minute ago, Stellaboz said:

Reckon we've had a back up target or is that it? 

I don't see us adding anyone before the end of the month, but they'll "have worked hard on it".

Still five working days to go neebs. You never know, they may be working really really hard. 

That stuff about the trip to Germany is tone deaf as f**k.

I realise I come across as defending the board fairly often here (in reality I just disagree with some things I think are silly/aren't actually the fault of the board) bit this one is definitely a 'read the room' thing. Were we doing fine no one would care, but when we're struggling it comes across very poorly.

I understand the impulse to want to tear the whole club down and start again when things are going badly, every fanbase has been there, and obviously there are some bigger long term issues at Dunfermline around sustainability, what the owners are actually contributing and the age old private ownership question of what they're looking to get out of it. Publicising a jolly to Germany while you're sinking in a relegation battle is also extremely tone deaf. It's difficult to see what the board have done wrong in terms of supporting the manager with recruitment in this window though.

The two big misses which have caused concern, in no small part due to choosing Raith instead, have been Rudden and Ashcroft. In both cases Dundee agreed to Dunfermline's offer of how much of their wages to cover, presumably at the same level as Raith have as they wouldn't have accepted Dunfermline's offer otherwise. That puts it entirely down to the choice of the players with Dunfermline's board having done their bit financially, and if they'd rather go to Raith there's nothing they can do about that.

After being turned down by Rudden, you were also still able to beat other Championship clubs to another top flight centre forward in Kane, who has a better Championship goalscoring record than Rudden.

Sure, you can say it's a reflection of their running of the club that you're in a relegation battle and a far less attractive proposition for Rudden or Ashcroft than Raith right now, but it's a bit of a leap to conclude that this is the consequence of a manager being hamstrung by an incompetent board failing to back him. If anything, the biggest indicator of off-field incompetence impacting Dunfermline on the park right now is their continued support for McPake when many other clubs would have sacked him by now. There's also the factor that both players who turned you down for Raith have worked with McPake before, but it might be a stretch to consider that relevant.

Injuries have also been used as an excuse for McPake in how the season is spiralling, and if that can't be blamed on him it certainly can't be blamed on the board. They also can't be accused of failing to allow him to add numbers to cover your injuries: even if you charitably discount youngsters who've made a decent number of appearances like Taylor Sutherland along with those who've barely played, you've still got one of the largest first team squads in the division. If the quality to stay up isn't there, that's a reflection on what McPake has done with his budget rather than having an impossible job.

Edited by Dunning1874

I think the board will end up embarrassed by the lack of support traveling to Germany.  
the money they’ll spend to take the team there would be better spent bringing in players to save our season 

10 minutes ago, Wacky said:

I think the board will end up embarrassed by the lack of support traveling to Germany.  
the money they’ll spend to take the team there would be better spent bringing in players to save our season 

Wait what, they're taking the team there?

Just now, DA Baracus said:

Wait what, they're taking the team there?

Aren’t they?
The joys of hearing someone else talk about it had me thinking this, and judging by your response I take it I’ve got this totally wrong? 

22 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

even if you charitably discount youngsters who've made a decent number of appearances like Taylor Sutherland along with those who've barely played, you've still got one of the largest first team squads in the division.

Taylor Sutherland has made a decent number of appearances? When did this happen? He’s an 18 year old kid that’s played less than 90 minutes of first team football for the club.

edit to add - I’m not defending McPake here. I think he seems totally out his depth. But the number of first team injuries has constantly been between 7 and about 12 for 5 months now - and that’s not including guys playing through injuries. It’s absolutely mental to try and suggest that we do, or even should, have the depth of squad that can cover that.

Edited by CallumPar

Might be the only one but I'm not that fussed to miss out on Ashcroft. Left in 2020 and hardly anyone batted an eye-lid, I was pleased to see him go as his performances had been poor.

I'm well aware he's better than our current fit centre half's but I think we'll still get someone in who hasn't just played youth/reserve football.

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

What? No I'm genuinely now confused if you can or cannot loan from a team in the same league? If not, the rule changed right?

Took it as a wind up, since it was possibly the most baffling thing a manager has done at the rovers in recent memory. There’s been plenty loans similar since then afterall.