Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Looking at 300k for finishing 5th then. Key for us to finish strong and try and get that 5th spot. We will have hee-haw from the Cups after getting dumped out all 3 the first time of asking. 

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

Looking at 300k for finishing 5th then. Key for us to finish strong and try and get that 5th spot. We will have hee-haw from the Cups after getting dumped out all 3 the first time of asking. 

Good call

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

I want two players in to allow us to go 442. Sick of this 3 at the back when it stops working and we don't shift  

I was tempted to put a back 4 formation of my potential team,

that would look like 

mehmet/new GK

comrie bene/fisher Breen/MFW edwards

KRH/MOH Hamilton/Otoo chalmers/todd McCann/new winger

Kane/wighton 2 new forwards.

Even with new signings probably a harder formation for us to work too.

32 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

point next week sorts us out

Not quite. We’d be 6 ahead with 2 games left. If we then lost our last 2 games and Queens Park won theirs, they could still go above us. They’re up against Arbroath and then an Airdrie side who’ll be resting players in their last 2.

9 hours ago, Well over Par said:

Doubt the board will push the boat out for players ? That’s not their strategy. 

We don't need them to push the boat out. We should have one of, if not the largest budgets next season (Providing United are replaced by Livingston). I'm not asking for the board to go out on a splurge and go full Gretna, I just want our budget to be managed competently and for that financial advantage that we should have, to come to fruition. 

This is partly where my frustration with having an academy comes into it, but that's a debate for another day. 

I'd gladly see us use any transfer budget, if we even have one spent on mutually agreeing to end some contracts we have to shift the dead wood out and free up wages. 

Edited by Heaton

I just want to win this weekend, put this season behind us and trust that the club do what they can to avoid a repeat of what went wrong this season.

Assuming we ensure our survival, I hope the club do what they can to add more experience to the squad for next season. I’d also hope that we can come to mutual agreements to end a few contracts early/allow players to move on for free and try to improve certain areas of the team.

If we want to be challenging at the top of the championship, we need a new goalkeeper. If we can bring in MFW permanently, I think we’re ok defensively. But in midfield, we need to upgrade on both Allan and Chalmers. In games against teams in the top 4 in particular, the 2 of them have been overrun and have looked completely out of their depth. If we want to be at that standard, I don’t think they’re what we need.

We also have other fringe/cover players that just haven’t produced the quality that we need. I just don’t know how realistic it is that we can offload these guys.

It also goes without saying that signing Chris Kane, or another striker that will improve us, is a must.

I appreciate it's a viewpoint that won't be shared widely...

But I wouldn't have improving on the goalkeeper as nearly as large a priority as the other positions you've mentioned, or as much as a priority at all. 

It was widely rumoured that Mehmet was one of our larger contracts when he was signed by Grant, now he's signed a new one since then but I wouldn't guess that he's taken a deduction. So the chances of him being moved on are slim I'd guess, I also don't think he's been that bad. I genuinely don't think there's been a goalkeeper that's impressed me in the division, every one seems to have had a couple of howlers this season. I simply don't back us to park one of our higher earners on the bench, and find someone better tbh. 

Get a cheap backup, apparently we've got a really promising keeper coming through the academy but he's probably a season away from sitting in the bench I'd imagine. 

As well as what you mentioned, and I couldn't agree more with centre midfield and striker being the priority, there's a question about left back. Edwards will be away and he needs replaced, I'd like us to change the system which would also necessitate us grabbing another left winger. Alternatively if McPake wants to continue with 3 atb then we need a left wing back. 

In an ideal world we'd find suitors for Chalmers, MoH and Wighton but I don't see it. I wouldn't offer another contract to Allan but I think we will. 

1 hour ago, HoBNob said:

I appreciate it's a viewpoint that won't be shared widely...

But I wouldn't have improving on the goalkeeper as nearly as large a priority as the other positions you've mentioned, or as much as a priority at all. 

I agree, he's got a bad moment in him for sure but he's also made some big saves that have saved us crucial points. 
Most of his worst moments have come at times when our defence was decimated with injury, and aerially (particularly at set pieces) he does make me nervous, but when his confidence is up he's a decent shot stopper, and his penalty record has been frankly excellent.
I wouldn't sniff at looking or getting a better option, but not at the expense of improving the depth and quality of our attack and midfield. That should 100% take precedent.

Need a goalscorer pronto, the return from the forward players simply hasn't been good enough.

We'll probably sign Osman Sow ar the start of September.

1 minute ago, Rob1885 said:

Need a goalscorer pronto, the return from the forward players simply hasn't been good enough.

We'll probably sign Osman Sow ar the start of September.

Completely agree. Since the manager came in we've had four windows and only really addressed the striking issue in the most recent one with the loan signing of Chris Kane. I'd love to see him stay permanently but I have a suspicion St.Johnstone might want him back, especially if they find themselves in the playoffs and go down. Even if we were to sign Kane permanently, I'd like to see another striker coming in.