Walking Down The Halbeath Road

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Not necessarily no, Smith was getting Scotland call ups ahead of strikers at those clubs. 

U-19 Scotland call ups don't really count for anything, few days training every two months, not a consistent daily test which would help him improve. Keena, Anderson and Rudden all have better facilities with better players at their parent clubs and have enjoyed that before being sent out on loan. Smith trains against Danny Devine every day, hardly a test whereas Keena, Anderson and Rudden have trained/played with the first team at Hearts, Aberdeen and Rangers.

I'd say it's harsh to compare his development to those three. He's certainly not as good as any of them but I wouldn't really expect him to be.

Due to injuries Smith is now our third choice striker, possibly fourth. He's getting a chance because there's nobody else.

A good option if we are winning by a margin and you need someone to run about and chase down defenders. Expect him to find his level in the fourth division then bounce back like Blair Henderson.

He did work really well beside McManus so there's a small doubt that he still has it.

Callum will be a player, no doubt one of these ones that you’ll see scoring every other week, saying why did we let him go. How many times have we looked at the scorers in the other games where half the scorers used to play with us, but weren’t deemed good enough. I think he’d do well alongside Anderson from what I’ve seen. A player like Anderson needs watching and that may give whoever else is there more room.

28 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

When did we last bring through a young striker? Never? Colin Nish doesn't count.

What happened to Iain Williamson,? I thought he'd turn out to be great.

Callum Smith. Before him, Allan Smith.

25 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Was thinking last night that we seem to develop players who go elsewhere and flourish.
Templeman Nish Scougal McHattie Byrne Henderson

Templeman was never SPL quality. He 'flourished' at the likes of Morton and Forfar. Nish did alright for himself but he wasn't going to get a game ahead of Smith, Coyle,  Crawford, Brewster or Hunt. He still got some games for the team though but never really did anything. 

McHattie was signed by Hearts. Not much we could have done there. He 'flourished' at the likes of Raith Rovers and Derry City. Blair Henderson did absolutely nothing and has only done well in the bottom tier. 

Scougall was apparently released for 'being too small'. A ludicrous decision from an utter dinosaur. Was hoping we might have got him on loan during the window there. Byrne was probably unfairly let go as well. I thought he definitely showed in some games that he had ability and was for keeping him.

I agree with everything you say but what I really meant was that there seems to be a breakdown between a successful youth career and the first team and it has been going on for decades.
You can see the progress Martin has made from getting games.
Real shame he's injured a lot I rate him.