Walking Down The Halbeath Road

I can't imagine the likes of Allan, Fenton and the other youngsters were on big wages by any means. Jakubiak was probably on the highest out of that lot.

It's a good start as none of them were good enough for a promotion pushing side.

Hopefully we can free up more of the budget by encouraging an Arbroath, ICT or QOTS type side to take Chalmers & O'Halloran off our hands.

43 minutes ago, VinnyPar said:

Mackay acting like we've released prime Kaka

Total exaggeration of Paul Allan in that article. It's a bit bizarre where that has come from.

Obviously there's a budget available and rightly the manager will know what he has to spend. The question is, is it sufficient to give us an edge over our competitors. Let's hope so.

But we cannot ignore the million pound loss last season and the projected substantial loss for this season and the club admitting they're going to reign in the spend. We're about 4 years into a 7 year plan, how far have we come?

12 minutes ago, AuldReekie said:

Maybe trying to do the lad a favour and talk him up in the hope of helping him find a good deal. Done a good turn for the club.

I reckon this.

Paul Allan is a Pars fan and from a good family. I'm sure all Pars fans wish the lad well.

14 minutes ago, North West said:

Obviously there's a budget available and rightly the manager will know what he has to spend. The question is, is it sufficient to give us an edge over our competitors. Let's hope so.

But we cannot ignore the million pound loss last season and the projected substantial loss for this season and the club admitting they're going to reign in the spend. We're about 4 years into a 7 year plan, how far have we come?

Went backwards.

We've went backward financially for sure.

Not that far off football wise. Bit backward league position wise but a base of good young players that we didn't have previously.

Infrastucture off the pitch we are better off. As much as we have paid professionals running the club now, I'm still not sure we are better off.

3 hours ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

The one thing you can say for the present board is that there is a clear and coherent strategy. They have a plan and it is pretty well publicised.

Whether it is going to be successful or not remains to be seen, but that's a different debate.

Disagree with that, they have roughy outlined things they'd like to do, but unless I've missed it there has been nothing on long term goals nevermind the intermediate goals that need achieved along the way to get there and how these will be measured

12 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Disagree with that, they have roughy outlined things they'd like to do, but unless I've missed it there has been nothing on long term goals nevermind the intermediate goals that need achieved along the way to get there and how these will be measured

Your last point is key for me, I'd disagree massively that we have a plan and it's well publicised. 

I'd argue that we deliberately set pretty vague and low targets when it comes to a footballing sense so that it's hard to hold people accountable. 

Getting relegated to League One and rather than saying the target was the league, or even the playoffs it was "Let's win games", is that a clear plan? It's a nonsense. 

We come up as title winners, I've said this enough but 9/10 the league winners challenge for the promotion playoffs and finish 5th or above. We publicly target to consolidate and avoid the relegation playoffs. 

What's our target this year? If its clear and well publicised we should know, does anyone?

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Was it not reported that he's been wanting away? 

He's been trying to get away since it was clear he wasn't even going to get games in the cups. He posted on Twitter (or maybe LinkedIn, or both?) back in about August/September something like "ready to make the step up to number 1, currently in the Scottish Championship, would suit Scotland or England League 1/2" which was superbly deluded, thinking he'd get a gig in the English third tier.

3 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

"Goalkeeper Max Little joined from English side Queens Park in July 2022"

This sort of basic error always gets on my wick.

Agreed. Programme, website, are often littered with simple errors that wouldn't take 5 minutes proof reading to fix.

3 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

Also referring to him as a playmaker 

He's not a stopper or a disruptor, he's not really box-to-box, he's not a winger, he's not a number 10. Playmaker (maybe "deep lying playmaker") seems the best description of his role. Likes to pass the ball, takes set pieces, chips in with the odd goal. 

2 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

I'd argue that we deliberately set pretty vague and low targets when it comes to a footballing sense so that it's hard to hold people accountable. 

Would agree with that, it's like we're scared of pressure, an utter shitebag attitude to take.

I read into it that if budgets weren’t an issue, he’d have had a deal.  But that can mean many things.  They may have decided this season that they want to go for 4 “marquee” signings to spend the budget, and in doing so have no wriggle room to offer a deal.  Much same way that the budgetary decision was taken to let Todorov and OHara go, the opinion was that we could get more for the money we had.  Thats also a budget related decision.  The fact we then Fannied around for far too long and ended up going into the season so undermanned it was criminal, is separate to the money argument.

For me it stands to reason that if our budgets have been tight the last few seasons and the club said they'll be reigning in spends then we're not going to witness any level of extravagance this close season. 

McPake and McKay will have to be both very cute and astute with what they're given. I'm rooting for them. 

Maybe I'm being naive but I`m not sure what the drama here is. If we had more money to burn things would be different. We want to improve the quality of our squad but still within a budget. Seems reasonable to me. If we want to sign a better striker tomorrow we need to let supposed lesser quality players go today.

It is, and always should be, about maximising what we get for what we pay.

The whole thing about being skint and not having the cash to keep Paul on could simply be the club blowing smoke up Paul’s arse, and letting possible suitors think we’d keep him if we could afford to, helping him write his C.V if you like? 
As an auld gaffer of mine would say “you have to break eggs to make an omelette” 

9 hours ago, kdypar said:

Harrison Sharp? Please no. He was dreadful. Basic errors cost us a lot of goals, 2 v Partick, 1 v Inverness and 1 v United, off the top of my head. 

Don’t we have a young lad coming through the ranks? I’m sure he has featured in the Scotland squad for his age group? The laddies name has totally escaped me, and he is maybe still a teenager? But as the old saying goes “ if you’re good enough you’re old enough” 

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, North West said:

We're not thst skint we couldn't keep Paul Allan, but the management do have a set budget to work within which influences their choices.

Regardless of budget, all I see is the potential for another midfielder to be signed. 
ETA, the same thing with another striker too, and I’d be happy with Kane 

Edited by Wacky