Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Just a continuation of this pedestrian style with players that can't actually play possession football. McPake has either signed or extended all of these players, and I don't think the system he wants to play suits them at all or how he positions them on the park. 

I hope this is just a particularly bad performance early on in the competition and it can be remedied in the remaining two cup games but all too often this is how the team played at home in the championship last year. Really looking like we need 3 or 4 quality players to come in and help lift the standard but that is looking unlikely at this point in time. 

Didn’t go tonight because I’m scunnered with how the club is being run. 
we lose £1m and it’s blamed on bring in league one and not playing in the play offs. 
we are going to report another near £1m loss next time around. What will be the excuse this time ?

this lies at the CEO’s door. He has go. Aside from being in charge he doesnt appreciate the staff and volunteers 

We then have the owners telling shareholders not to worry as it’s all in hand and losses are taken care of 

we have a training centre which is an Astro and portacabins. That will attract players right enough

all this means we have practically no budget for the first team. What we have has been blown on Kane who won’t play half the games and a very very average full back. Wotherspoon may be ok

the icing on the cake is a manager who plays dull football and players out of position

Let’s not even start with mehmet  worst goalie we have ever had quite possibly 

if we or maybe when we get off to a bad start in the league then the crowds will drop alarmingly.  

#cook&gmbh&mcpakeOUT

Edited by Well over Par

2 hours ago, Well over Par said:

Didn’t go tonight because I’m scunnered with how the club is being run. 
we lose £1m and it’s blamed on bring in league one and not playing in the play offs. 
we are going to report another near £1m loss next time around. What will be the excuse this time ?

this lies at the CEO’s door. He has go. Aside from being in charge he doesnt appreciate the staff and volunteers 

We then have the owners telling shareholders not to worry as it’s all in hand and losses are taken care of 

we have a training centre which is an Astro and portacabins. That will attract players right enough

all this means we have practically no budget for the first team. What we have has been blown on Kane who won’t play half the games and a very very average full back. Wotherspoon may be ok

the icing on the cake is a manager who plays dull football and players out of position

Let’s not even start with mehmet  worst goalie we have ever had quite possibly 

if we or maybe when we get off to a bad start in the league then the crowds will drop alarmingly.  

#cook&gmbh&mcpakeOUT

Hard to argue with a lot of that. 

what’s the crack with Cook and volunteers though?  Not the first time I’ve heard it but noones come forward with an explanation or example.

I’ve had time to calm down to a simmering seethe, and I still can’t see any positives about that utter shite last night. Forfar fans must have been cartwheeling their way home last night with such an easy win. If something doesn’t change soon, be it personal or tactical, or both, we are going to get a severe spanking in the league, then we’ll see a toxic atmosphere in and around the club. The chanting from the terraces will drive team morale down even though it’s not going to be entirely fair on the players. I think McPake will end up walking while pointing the finger at the board. I doubt he’ll be big enough to admit he’s got the tactical side wrong and has proven so far he is way too stubborn to try and change it. 
His tactics are the definition of madness IMO. If he keeps going like this I think his career in management will go the way of that other stubborn mule, Allan Johnson. 
I was getting scunnered with this utter gash towards the end of last season, and it’s already looking like we are getting a second helping again this season. 
Im cringing at the thought of what the likes of Falkirk and Raith will do to us this campaign, and sitting right here right now both my head and my heart isn’t in it. It’s been many years since I deliberately stayed away from EEP due to piss poor performances, and I can see myself doing so again this season. 

16 minutes ago, Wacky said:

I’ve had time to calm down to a simmering seethe, and I still can’t see any positives about that utter shite last night. Forfar fans must have been cartwheeling their way home last night with such an easy win. If something doesn’t change soon, be it personal or tactical, or both, we are going to get a severe spanking in the league, then we’ll see a toxic atmosphere in and around the club. The chanting from the terraces will drive team morale down even though it’s not going to be entirely fair on the players. I think McPake will end up walking while pointing the finger at the board. I doubt he’ll be big enough to admit he’s got the tactical side wrong and has proven so far he is way too stubborn to try and change it. 
His tactics are the definition of madness IMO. If he keeps going like this I think his career in management will go the way of that other stubborn mule, Allan Johnson. 
I was getting scunnered with this utter gash towards the end of last season, and it’s already looking like we are getting a second helping again this season. 
Im cringing at the thought of what the likes of Falkirk and Raith will do to us this campaign, and sitting right here right now both my head and my heart isn’t in it. It’s been many years since I deliberately stayed away from EEP due to piss poor performances, and I can see myself doing so again this season. 

I obviously dont think McPakes had the backing he'd have liked from the board, he can't be happy with thst squad. I think the lack of depth within the squad and the fear of injuries will affect his team formations and tactics in general. I sense a lack of confidence throughout even now at this early stage.

7 hours ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Yup. I'd have said I'd jinxed it but nah, this is all on McPake and the board.

My patience with them is thin after last season but a result like that brings all the negative outlook back. 

My only hope is that some teams have a poor group stage and then go on to have a great league season. But....won't be us. What a waste of a chance to qualify. 

22 minutes ago, North West said:

I obviously dont think McPakes had the backing he'd have liked from the board, he can't be happy with thst squad. I think the lack of depth within the squad and the fear of injuries will affect his team formations and tactics in general. I sense a lack of confidence throughout even now at this early stage.

I agree with this too, but I still think he should try a different setup. It was about 65 minutes before he decided to try a back four. The players can’t be taking it apon  themselves to play at such a slow pace, they are surely doing what they are told? The best form of defence is attack and all that. 
I think McPake will either walk or be driven out by the fans perpetually being on his back about not trying something different at the very least. One thing is for sure, this board will have a hard neck if they sack him after not backing him. 

You know its bad when positive guys like Wacky are hacked off.

In response to an earlier question about ceo and staff, courtesy and good manners costs nothing. I know that RM still contacts volunteers for example to thank them for their efforts and wishes them a merry xmas and all. that disnae happen with our cookie

I'm not buying that the squad isn't good. Yes it's lacking depth but we have good players there. Its how they are being set up and playing that is the issue. I'm not saying he doesn't need more backing and players in as he does, but what we have shouldn't be that bad. That's on McPake 

8 hours ago, North West said:

Better having these aspirations than relying on refurbished conservatories and chronic season ticket sales to fund a shitey wee club.

Your high reading on the smug c**t scale may yet crash back into the swamp.

☝️  Choking for a shot on the Roverscoaster. 

1 hour ago, Heaton said:

I'm not buying that the squad isn't good. Yes it's lacking depth but we have good players there. Its how they are being set up and playing that is the issue. I'm not saying he doesn't need more backing and players in as he does, but what we have shouldn't be that bad. That's on McPake 

Totally agree. That first XI should be more than enough to see off Forfar and the playing style is on the manager. Collectively, they need to take responsibility. As others have said, where I do have sympathy for McPake is he's absolutely limited in what action he can take if guys are not stepping up. Squad depth matters from a training perspective in terms of raising standards, but it also matters when you want to pull an experienced player for playing poorly, and you only see youngsters on your bench. I'm a fan of what the club are trying to do with the academy but they must get the balance right or this will not end well.

That full-time squad should be good enough to see past Forfar so this is on McPake and the players. Once we get into the league campaign and consistently cannot compete against other teams, the quality of the squad will be fair game. For now though, defensive formations and players out of position are doing nothing to build sympathy for McPake. Going to be bad enough if Livi give us a going over twice in the space of just over 2 weeks, but Falkirk are due at EEP in August and that has the potential to be utterly horrific.

Edited by AuldReekie

heard the players were locked in for an hour and mcplake went through the senior players. Heres my concern. we can all have bad games but there has to be a bigger problem when a large number of players all have a had game at the same time? are the players losing faith in what the manager is doing? are players no buying into the formation? are players pissed off that they are not played in their best positions? are players pissed off that high earners are injured a lot? are players pissed off that board are not backing the manager in a season where all teams have a genuine crack at the title?

9 minutes ago, AuldReekie said:

Totally agree. That first XI should be more than enough to see off Forfar and the playing style is on the manager. Collectively, they need to take responsibility. As others have said, where I do have sympathy for McPake is he's absolutely limited in what action he can take if guys are not stepping up. Squad depth matters from a training perspective in terms of raising standards, but it also matters when you want to pull an experienced player for playing poorly, and you only see youngsters on your bench. I'm a fan of what the club are trying to do with the academy but they must get the balance right or this will not end well.

For now though, that full-time squad should be good enough to see past Forfar so this is on McPake and the players. Once we get into the league campaign and consistently cannot compete against other teams, the quality of the squad will be fair game. For now though, defensive formations and players out of position are doing nothing to build sympathy for McPake. Going to be bad enough if Livi give us a going over twice in the space of just over 2 weeks, but Falkirk are due at EEP in August and that has the potential to be utterly horrific.

I do have sympathy for McPake as he's absolutely limited”

Thats the only bit you needed to say, feel sorry for you guys being lumbered with him

So glad his time at Dens is drifting into the past.

He shouldn’t manage again, nice guy, maybe a coaching role somewhere for him

I'm not at the wind up.

I came on here in January (I think) to ask how long you'd all put up with McPake, who even then, was exposed as being fairly limited in tactics, style etc. I got sent packing by the usual suspects, told that once all the injuries cleared, you'd be fine. Once you did rally a bit (Fagan-Walcott seemed to help) McPake was then being lauded by some as the right man and you'd all be fine with some new players in close season. 

So here we are again. From 12 miles distance it looks like ze Germans are culpable as well as McPake, and once again you'll be relying on loans to bolster a very average squad. I know it's a daft cup these days and essentially still close season, but there's money to be made in it, and it looks like you might well miss out.

Serious question - what would you do to improve things?

1 hour ago, Heaton said:

Aye, the first eleven if they'd been played in there favourite positions should have been more than capable. 

Even the subs, and the personal changes then seemed all off to me. 

1 hour ago, Well over Par said:

heard the players were locked in for an hour and mcplake went through the senior players. Heres my concern. we can all have bad games but there has to be a bigger problem when a large number of players all have a had game at the same time? 

Aye it's a risky buisness, if you're tearing through all the senior players you best hope they don't have the lingering thought off "Well how about you set us up better for the game" 

7 hours ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Did he go too (For)far?

Surely that must be Farfar as the natives are known to utter? 🥹

Edited by embow
Misspelt word

Let’s look at who left and who has replaced them, to see if we’re stronger than when we finished last season:

Summers -> Wotherspoon UPGRADE. 

Edwards -> Ngwenya - looks like we’re weaker at LB right now.

Jakubiak not replaced - with Kane and Wighton’s injury troubles, we need another option.

MFW - we haven’t replaced the best defender in our squad and that’s a big concern.

Little - we need a new number 1, so I was happy to see Little go. But we’ve known for at least a year he’d be away. We brought in another keeper on loan last summer, so we didn’t have to play Little ffs.

Allan, Moffat, MWH - could probably do with numbers to replace these guys that all had to play a significant number of minutes last season.

Holmes, Benjamin - don’t care.

Overall - we just look much weaker.