Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Someone should 'bring them back'

I think this is more of an Andrew Stirling bit of clobber

replicas-300-spartan-cloak-%5B2%5D-4332-

I wore my blue Hunter wellies to the cup final though in honour of my Saintee pals - there's only so many trends a chap can start in one summer.

Have to say thanks to whoever helped out sprucing up the ground over the close season.

The steps have been fixed and painted near me. Real shame about the pitch, I reckon the groundsman should have told them to bolt, there's no way that amount of water could have been swept off. Hope the pitch isn't damaged but if so should grow back quickly.

0-0 bounce game against Rangers yesterday. I know you can't read too much into pre-season games but that's three games against Championship sides (Livi, Hibs, Rangers) without conceding a goal.

Also - in the game that never was, Moffat and Smith would have been up front together. Smith is a bit of a forgotten man after being out so much with his bug/virus but he could be a great foil for Moffat. I know JJ would still like a big striker before the transfer window shuts but Wallace, Smith, Faiss and Moffat is a pretty tasty bunch of forwards.

So anyone got any views on the whole volunteering at the club issue?

Have to say I wasn't too aware of it, but think I'll head along next week and do some (as I'm a horrible scrounging bum at the moment; to other fans, this basically means that your taxes will be paying for me to work at East End Park; roond ye!).

The turnout has been really low. I get that folk are working and it's hard to make it, but even taking that in to account it's still really low. When you consider the plight of the club and how the fans got behind the efforts to save it, it does seem that a complacency has set it. I also think that that for many, they still feel too detached from the club due to the many years of the club treating the fans like shite and creating an 'them and us' type of attitude. The relationship the fans have the club was massively eroded (and in some cases just wasn't able to be established), and it will take some time for that to be built back up, even though the current efforts are good and heading in the right direction. Also I was told about it by a friend as although it was regularly posted on .net, I had no idea about it as I don't use .net. Too many on that website think they speak for the majority of Pars fans and that the views on that site reflect the majority of the fans (although in some cases that is probably true) when in reality I'd say about 5-10% of all Pars fans use it. They need to spread the word in more ways than that (and more frequently), which I see they are doing now (and whilst we're talking about social media, Mikey, who many of you will know, must be singled out for the mass of work he's done for free and the quality of it; already the Facebook page is much improved and the new website is launching soon; the guy is doing a great job and he's sound as f**k; top top man. Also Matt at the club does shitloads, at times almost running the club himself it seems, and deserves massive recognition. There are others as well who deserve loads of praise (like Marvyn), but I'll be here for hours if I name them all).

I'm not blaming people for not going along here. Just interested to see what people think.

Ive not been along myself which is poor form but I'd say the info is reasonably(tho not perfectly) well spread for that use .net and social media, whilst the numbers of people who don't use the Internet is dramatically decreasing there are still large numbers who get most of their info from places like the press or matchday announcements after that they may use the official website, I haven't seen anything being put through these channels where they are most likely to reach most fans, in particular older fans who are more likely to have the time. Also an official volunteer database would be useful, a checkbox on season ticket forms for those willing to volunteer would help, perhaps this could also be done in connection with a prize draw, perhaps linked with how often someone volunteers.

Overall we must be careful not to cross the line between encouraging fans to volunteer and putting undue pressure on people/criticising those that don't volunteer, its a big jump from turn up and pay your cash.

Edited by parsforlife

Overall we must be careful not to cross the line between encouraging fans to volunteer and putting undue pressure on people/criticising those that don't volunteer, its a big jump from turn up and pay your cash.

Aye this bit in particular is important

If I stayed closer and had free time I would help out if it meant getting a game on etc.

People like marvin should be in the pars hall of fame. What she does is incredible.

I don't think people should feel like they need to justify why they aren't volunteering.

Everyone has a life, going to the football on a Saturday may be as much as someone can contribute to the club and we should be grateful for their support. Those who are able to volunteer and give more of their personal time to the club is great, yet it doesn't make them anymore important than others.

Lets also not forget that there are 1000 fans who continually contribute money to the club which brings in an extra £20k per month.

I want the club to be a success but I struggle to find time to get to games fairly often so pitching up to do some painting is well down my list of priorities. Would probably have nipped down for a few hours one day had I lived in town to be fair.

Congrats to all those who have given some of their time though. I do agree that a bit of complacency has come over some fans as well.

I don't think people should feel like they need to justify why they aren't volunteering.

Everyone has a life, going to the football on a Saturday may be as much as someone can contribute to the club and we should be grateful for their support. Those who are able to volunteer and give more of their personal time to the club is great, yet it doesn't make them anymore important than others.

Lets also not forget that there are 1000 fans who continually contribute money to the club which brings in an extra £20k per month.

Yes. I didn't post what I did to get 'justification' from people who can't/won't volunteer. It was just to get a bit of discussion.

Good news for Edinburgh based Pars fans. Lothian 68 are running a bus to the Forfar game and dependant on how successful it is then they are looking at buses for more games.

http://www.pars-united.com/lothian68/2014/07/28/new-lothian-68ers/#.U9lwz_BlZWk.facebook

Estimated pick up times

http://www.pars-united.com/lothian68/2014/07/30/forfar-bus-now-confirmed-email-us-today/

Edited by GordieBoy80

Is McAusland a free agent now? Hopefully yous sign him so he doesn't come back for a 4th spell.

No it would be a loan for back-up however we already have four centre halfs, 2 right backs and an abundance of midfielders so I highly doubt we will sign someone like McAusland unless he manages to greatly impress in training.